Thread: Transparency?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Anything we can do outside of code monkeying? anything for the low tech crowd?
    Test test and more testing I'd assume is the answer that will be given, but you have to be honest it has come a LONG way since Terra, I mean the cheats have been patched, the team is active, and the server is stable, that is a big thing overall really considering we used to be overrun with dupes, speed hacks, and the occasional immortal player who could snipe you with a CS from across the zone lol

Maybe a thread with an overall status of individual items assigned to the team would be great, and updating this thread on a weekly basis so that people can see that work is still being done would be cool? *shrugs*

Quote Originally Posted by Nakomi43 View Post
    Test test and more testing I'd assume is the answer that will be given, but you have to be honest it has come a LONG way since Terra, I mean the cheats have been patched, the team is active, and the server is stable, that is a big thing overall really considering we used to be overrun with dupes, speed hacks, and the occasional immortal player who could snipe you with a CS from across the zone lol

Maybe a thread with an overall status of individual items assigned to the team would be great, and updating this thread on a weekly basis so that people can see that work is still being done would be cool? *shrugs*
    Honstely I don't feel like testing or brainstorming anymore.

You give Feedback and then all that answers you is dead silence.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    Things which improves our development
    • Refactoring of the patcher / hash libs & developing a CLI app to make automated patch builds possible for the PTS - Assigned to Avalon
    Just use common / tried and tested off the shelf tools. We use Jenkins/Ant/Gitlab/slack/gerrit for all our dev stack work with automated CI and building + deployment to a test server then we can merge in to upstream for automated deployment to live with build artifacts auto pulled out and put in to the "launcher" for patch deployment to clients. Took about 2 days to setup/configure.

What are your mailserver issues it takes less than an hour to correctly configure a high throughput redundant postfix mailserver so whats the issues you keep facing?

Yeah sure... shoot the messenger.

Quote Originally Posted by JustVisiting View Post
    Just use common / tried and tested off the shelf tools. We use Jenkins/Ant/Gitlab/slack/gerrit for all our dev stack work with automated CI and building + deployment to a test server then we can merge in to upstream for automated deployment to live with build artifacts auto pulled out and put in to the "launcher" for patch deployment to clients. Took about 2 days to setup/configure.

What are your mailserver issues it takes less than an hour to correctly configure a high throughput redundant postfix mailserver so whats the issues you keep facing?

It sounds like you literally just described the Cyanogenmod build process...

Ever since the NST took over development on Neocron, we have been using a combination of TeamCity, SVN, TFS and Slack for continuous integration. Updates to our internal test server (ITS) are deployed every check-in however deployment to the Public Test server is a little more complicated since this still uses the current Neocron patching system, and that tool needed some changes.

Most of the issues have been caused by DNS configuration issues - myself along with Trivaldi have spent a few weeks looking at the config and tweaking it. The reporting is much better now and there is still an outstanding issue that keeps coming up with GMail - for some reason our mail server randomly wants to talk ipv6 with Google servers.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    Ever since the NST took over development on Neocron, we have been using a combination of TeamCity, SVN, TFS and Slack for continuous integration. Updates to our internal test server (ITS) are deployed every check-in however deployment to the Public Test server is a little more complicated since this still uses the current Neocron patching system, and that tool needed some changes.

Most of the issues have been caused by DNS configuration issues - myself along with Trivaldi have spent a few weeks looking at the config and tweaking it. The reporting is much better now and there is still an outstanding issue that keeps coming up with GMail - for some reason our mail server randomly wants to talk ipv6 with Google servers.
    I left svn world a while ago as I found git+gitlab to be far superior for managing builds/merges/ci and automated testing.

Assume you're using postfix as your MTA? disable ipv6 transport and dummy interface from your transport map. Also check your spf's don't have dodgy records pointing to ipv6 addresses if you used an auto creator spf tool for example sometimes they put catch alls in. you could also look at overriding with srv protocols if you really wanted though tbh they're not used that often. If you're really stuck I'm happy to look at all your config for you as your actual SPF's /dns setup looks correct so I'd guess its more of an MTA config issue pulling the ipv6 data back from googles so attempting to switch to that instead but guessing your server doesn't have an ipv6 address or routing setup. You could always just give your vm/box an ipv6 route ofc hetzner certainly support it and have core routing over ipv6/

/etc/postfix/main.cf:
    transport_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/transport

/etc/postfix/transport:
    gmail.com smtp-ipv4:

/etc/postfix/master.cf:
    smtp-ipv4 unix .. .. .. .. smtp
    -o inet_protocols=ipv4

# postmap /etc/postfix/transport
    # postfix reload

I left svn world a while ago as I found git+gitlab to be far superior for managing builds/merges/ci and automated testing.

Assume you're using postfix as your MTA? disable ipv6 transport and dummy interface from your transport map. Also check your spf's don't have dodgy records pointing to ipv6 addresses if you used an auto creator spf tool for example sometimes they put catch alls in. you could also look at overriding with srv protocols if you really wanted though tbh they're not used that often. If you're really stuck I'm happy to look at all your config for you as your actual SPF's /dns setup looks correct so I'd guess its more of an MTA config issue pulling the ipv6 data back from googles so attempting to switch to that instead but guessing your server doesn't have an ipv6 address or routing setup. You could always just give your vm/box an ipv6 route ofc hetzner certainly support it and have core routing over ipv6/
    I'll skip the svn vs git etc discussion for now. (I also prefer git by a long mile)

I guess you haven't twigged onto the fact that Zoltan is a big Windows fan. So no Postfix is used here (Or Exim which is my personal preferred choice) we have Windows mail service. You are right something in the MTA config is wanting to talk ipv6 when we told everything we have found so far not to use ipv6.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

... Zoltan is a big Windows fan...
    Damn you Zoltan! *shakes fist in the air*

Canadian eh

I'll skip the svn vs git etc discussion for now. (I also prefer git by a long mile)

I guess you haven't twigged onto the fact that Zoltan is a big Windows fan. So no Postfix is used here (Or Exim which is my personal preferred choice) we have Windows mail service. You are right something in the MTA config is wanting to talk ipv6 when we told everything we have found so far not to use ipv6.
    This is something I looking forward to seeing if the new bash shell for windows will allow for running Postfix or Exim with dovecot and git servers as well. In most cases it pointless to throw extra resources for a Linux mail/private git server if you already invested in windows servers the extra Linux server will require cost for server and will have to be configured and maintained. This is why SVN is still used a lot in small business windows development.

One trick to try is if the server doesn't use or have IPv6 configured just disable IPv6 on the network adapters that way programs can't detect that IPv6 is available and will be force to use IPv4. On newer windows OS IPv6 is installed and enabled by default and no one ever disables them if they are not using it.

--Snips--

TeamCity is great, we are using that with Git for automated builds of our projects. Works great for building a devel branch for testing and a master branch for current.

The patch system that NC has is a disaster, would be great to see some type of streamlined patching system put into place to eliminate individual patches and be able to update from your installer straight to current with one update session instead of multiple.

Windows mail services (basic version) or exchange?

If you're more familiar with exim then why not just run up a VM using virtualbox or vmware on the windows machine and run a small linux distro with a proper MTA on it?

Failing that you have a few other options for bulk sending (million + a week) we send through amazon's email services costs like £10 a month for massive quantities + no need to deal with blacklisting etc just alter your SPF's to delegate their mail servers.
    Or if you just needed a sending server hell you could use one of mine or even just pick up a micro vps and do it properly. I wouldn't trust windows mail services as far as I could throw the server that they ran on for just an hour or 2's work your savings would be massive in future time investment.

@general crazy: I have postfix kinda running on win10 ubuntu VM at the moment for testing its not quite right but not far off being useable.

There is no problem with the services running on Windows. The admin who maintained the mailserver went awol end of the last year so important things were left undone. Bifrost and Trivaldi are going to clean up that mess now.

@ Odimara Orca
    KOS!

;p
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

Just seems a waste of effort to spend a couple of weeks on and off fixing something that is fundamentally a simple/easy task using a proper industry standard MTA. I have done a brief technet search and can't find any standard windows smtp/mta without going to full blown exchange or using some thirdparty software which quite frankly all look terrible.

As a simple suggestion stop making life hard for yourselves especially as Bifrost mentions he knows exim already! Reduce your usage of obscure technologies and free up more time for you to do useful stuff.

I believe I mentioned earlier, than some of the issues were caused by some DNS misconfiguration, so changing the MTA would not have fixed all the issues. The NST uses Exchange a lot, so I can't exactly go and replace it overnight with another MTA.

I don't consider Exchange an obscure technology. I see it more of a challenge to re-apply my skills and knowledge to fix the the problem.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast