Hi I have read about 50% of the posts on this thread here and intend to read them all in 2 mins. Btw I am glad to see so many responses and constructive ones at that. Seems like it was just bad timing on my part, Im so glad folk some still play and I may well ask a couple orf friends to play.

Although I resent very much giving out my mobile at least its not turned out that my mobile is getting stealth charged or anything so I was initially worried

Thanks all

Credit to you Mokio and just by what you said makes you rate much higher than many mods ande the fact you are keeping this thread means that people will not feel so insecure about signing up, I for one would have loved a thread in which players said the mobile method is safe so hopefully this helps others.

The issue is on our radar and we too are not happy about the current state of registration and account verification.
    For what it is worth, I can assure you that all personal data is handled with appropriate care and certainly more secure than it has been before the volunteer crew took over.

I won't close this thread for the sole reason that I do not want to make the impression that anyone has the intention to ignore or shut down this topic, but I will tell you that it does make little sense to continue this "discussion". The current system will be replaced when a better solution is ready to be put in its place, but no sooner.
    See you all in game and thanks for understanding, I feel tons better about it now that you folks realize that I am aware of the security implications and how in the cases of many sites they sell your info to third parties at best and do some scary stuff at worst. (Work in computer security so it means alot to me, if the user data is only for you guys and isnt gettingt used to sign the phones up to anything or going to a third party or many of the other stereotypical bad things that happen then Im happy now! Thank you!)

just a quick edit to appluad the posters that see sense and pointed out how many people wont sign up because of the phone number. I have kept and eye on the game for a LONG time but would not sign up because of the phone number. And for folk to say good riddance well thats really bordering on pure fanboyism as aside for my previously mentioned points theres no need for them to ask for peoples phone number if its supposed to be a FREE to play game. Sure the Neocron guys may be genuine which is all nfair and good but its a horrible system that I seek not to encourage lest it becomes mainstream and the webs bad enough for getting spyed on as it is. Its sad the niavety of many to just what degree they are getting monitored.
    Last edited by foxfire29; 08-05-13 at 15:00.

I still have my accs from 2004 so I do not know about the current sign up process. When it was implemented a few months ago it was said that a SMS is sent to the mobile number for the sign up. Is this still the case?

Furthermore I always thought the phone number was needed to make sure that one person does not open several accounts. But if it is deleted anyway after 48 hours, what does it help then?

Don't eat that yellow snow

It is also to ward off registration bots that try to sign up accounts automatically using bogus details. I can tell from some of the comments that some people haven't even thought about such possibility but it's a common everyday problem nowadays in online games and other services that require registration. Requiring the phone number is not a perfect solution but what is the alternative, credit card information?

Also I have to wonder what kind of person has access to the internet to play online games but doesn't have a mobile phone?

a good captcha and email activation, either way im just glad i git signed up and i have got a friend to signup who had loads of hassle finding his phone number so i gave him the number of one of my old phones, i appreciate about the bots but there are far better ways than peoples mobiles and im sure folks at the intelligence lvl of the neocron team who are involved in a community surrounding a game with prob 1 million lines of code plus will find a more friendly ssolution Anyways I wasnt here to try and hurt anyone but if I have convinced others that the phone number signup thing is safe then thats a win win for the game

Respectfully
    David

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Its a bit of a bitch to have to go through, it kind of scares you but i wouldnt worry about the phone number, random numbers will do.
    I remeber seeing that awhile ago and thinking "shit they gonna ring me" but they never did, i dont have a mobile phone, so without a phone call the phone numbers dont mean squat.

i carry a laaaazer......blade gstyle40's Avatar
    Stuck on a m'fn plane wit some m'fn snakes ><

Quote Originally Posted by Nanook View Post

Also I have to wonder what kind of person has access to the internet to play online games but doesn't have a mobile phone?
    alot of people. i know a 80 year old couple that play wow for 5-6 hours everyday for the last 6-7 years that dont have cell phones. online gaming isnt restricted to a certain demographic. only reason i got a cell was because my then girlfriend/now wifes "cell phone" bill was astronomical every month cuz she was callin me everynite. i got a cell to cut her bill in half and have had it ever since :/ the cell phone thing on registration is a no no that should have never been implemented to begin with so i hope they find a fitting solution to the problem.
    [Signature removed - please see the forum rules on signature sizes]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12