Default Development Update - April 2013

Hello runners,

this time, we got some news on the balancing side of things! Enjoy!

Sparta - Balance Test Server
    As a part of the balancing project, we will launch a new server in either May or June under the name of Sparta. We have chosen to implement this second test server as we want to keep any technical changes separate from the balancing changes. That way, the balance on Sparta can directly be compared to the balance on Titan without interference from any other alterations.

On top of that, we are working on implementing a system allowing us to dynamically make adjustments to stats of items and weapons, as well as general game settings. This will make it possible to change balance "on-the-fly", without the need to patch and therefore will allow for a far more continuous and flexible process.

In the last patch we took the difficult decision to address the most urgent of balancing issues by deploying adjustments to the Disruptor and AKs, however this is not how we want to proceed. We do not want to go forward adjusting small numbers of weapons at a time, nor do we want to create a huge balancing patch like Reakktor's Neocron Evolution 2.2.

Our first step will be to remove the comma value character stat system. The introduction of these values only made the system more complex without any benefits to gameplay. As the intended purpose of these values was never implemented, we believe a logical step is to remove those complex values as well. Beyond this we wish to create a well understood and easy to understand foundation to game balance (this foundation will be the initial state of Sparta). To be more specific, we will start out with weapon balance based on damage per second, or 'DPS'. To correctly reach a solid DPS foundation this will of course take into account parameters like frequency, reload time and damage over time effects, however it is certain to need heavy tweaking and further adjustment once it reaches Sparta.

Once this initial balance foundation has been established, we will put focus on different sub-topics and work on improving those. An item per item balance project is not an option in our opinion, as there are far too many dependencies. Instead, in a somewhat similar move to other development houses when balancing PvP, we will pick key-aspects/classes/certain play styles and rework them to fit into a broader/better picture of Crahn, the world, 42.

This process will surely evolve over time and we will say now that is will never truly be finished. Game balance is not something that can ever be "done" due to the complex levels of inter-dependencies in every facet of the game. However, we are eager to receive more feedback from the Community throughout the process.

Soul Light System
    As you may have noticed with the last two patches we introduced the first bunch of changes to the soul light system. However, this is not yet the end result. Already during the internal stages of development and brainstorming some pretty interesting ideas have been raised. Beyond this even more interesting ideas were posted by the Community on the Brainport.

While players at the negative end of the Soul Light spectrum are outlaws, they also need a "home" and therefore we are planning a partial revamp the Outzone Jail (Sector 8) to cater for their needs. On top of that we also believe outlaws need a "home" faction, this need for a faction to call their own has made us consider the reintroduction of Anarchy Breed or even an entirely new player faction for the game. We have not yet reached a decision on this and would certainly like to hear your ideas in the Brainport.

On top of that we also have to adjust the Soul Light gain and loss system dramatically. The current system leaves too much room for Grief-play, especially towards characters with lower base-ranks. However great care has to be taken in making sure that we do not enable grief-play the other way around. There is still a lot of work to do in this area but be sure we are aware of the current situation and hope to address it as quickly as we can.

Storyline & Events
    The major raid on Neocron by the forces of the Twilight Guardian on Sunday 5th May, was probably our largest event outing for some time. A number of elements had to come together for this event to be possible and we're thrilled with the results. While a few issues did crop up during the event we now have the relevant data to fix them. The stability of crowded zones was investigated in real time and server side fixes have already been deployed to address some of them.

We've now obviously reached an important part of Powder Keg. Neocron's President Jack Red was viciously executed on the steps of his own City Administration. NExT's technology was sabotaged preventing his resurrection by GenRep. The city is now without a President, emergency protocols have been put in the place and the selection of a successor has begun.

The City's war machine was slow to mobilise, few reinforcements were available to protect the inner city during the raid. What issues have befallen City Administration? Why do they appear so weak so recently after a period of near peace? Are there more problems at home than Neocron's citizens are aware of? Only time will tell.

Make sure to keep an eye on the Neocronicle and in game to see how these threads progress. While sometimes it may seem like the story slows in parts, there is still a lot to come and further changes in the city and the wider gameworld are just around the corner.

Exploit & Harassment Reports
    Lately we have received several exploit and harassment reports, however quite often key information is missing. Please remember to always provide at least the following when sending in reports of this nature:
    • Participants
    • What happened in detail
    • Date and time of the incident
    • Screenshots

Neocron Needs You! - Web Lab - Front End Web Developers
    We are currently on the look out for a/some front end web developers to join the ranks of the Neocron Support Team. The responsibilities of these developers would be to assist in the creation of a new portal for the Neocron game and service. As you may be aware the main Neocron website (www.neocron-game.com) has been a place holder for quite some time.

There is a lot of exciting potential from our new portal which will take the website far beyond anything you have seen before for Neocron. We have the man power to create the behind the scenes bells and whistles for these features but require someone with a flair for front end design to bring it all together.

We require someone with proficiency in the following:
    • A massive love of Neocron
    • Graphic design skills
    • Experience in designing for extensible, fluid layouts
    • Knowledge of HTML 5
    • Knowledge of CSS3
    • Knowledge of JavaScript
    • Knowledge of ASP.NET MVC and of the Orchard CMS is beneficial

As with all positions on the Neocron Support Team and it's supporting laboratory initiatives, all positions are on a voluntary basis with no compensation. However, you do get to be involved in one of the most exciting community driven MMO projects on the web and get to give back to the game we all love, ensuring it takes further leaps and bounds to becoming the game we have all dreamed it would become.

If you're interested please forward a brief run down of your skills and profile, including any portfolio work/links you have available to applications@neocron-game.com

Sincereley
    Your Neocron Support Team
    Last edited by Alduin; 14-05-13 at 22:54. Reason: Corrected applicant email address.
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Wow. Seriously. I'm shocked. This is the dev update to end all dev updates.

I'm in awe. And I cannot wait for the new stuff. Signing up as a voluntary tester when ever possible.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

NC2 were u fight bugs from NC1

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Wow. Seriously. I'm shocked. This is the dev update to end all dev updates.

I'm in awe. And I cannot wait for the new stuff. Signing up as a voluntary tester when ever possible.
    This! ^ awesome news, can't wait.

The REAL Walker

My...God...!!
    This dev update want me to /sex ... everything/everyone!

..If you dont see me for the next year or so, thats why...

I am a bit concerned about removing the decimal system though - Not that I think it is a bad idea, at all!
    But it is going to have a huge effect on the balancing project.
    And I do hope that it comes with character point resets, since every setup probably will have to be remade.. But thats something for the future I guess

The problem with making an "Anarchy Breed" faction, is that everyone wants to have as many enemies as possible, and will probably want to join that faction. But wont everyone then get to be Allied?
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Sektenspinner aus Leidenschaft hajoan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
    Our first step will be to remove the comma value character stat system
    Thank you so much!
    For all those constant efforts to the game.

All this will give the game a chance that the player count will raise.
    I hope for reaching the magical 1000.

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Splooosh

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
    Our first step will be to remove the comma value character stat system.
    I cried with the NC2.2 update to put those damn values in, and I'll cry again updating all those values in the Item DB.

Still, I'll cope. It's a good plan getting rid of those decimals.

Nice update!

Very nice update!

Looking forward to the balancing-changes.

EDIT: "THIS IS SPARTA!!!"

What an announcement. I like it... every part... cant wait for Sparta.

Are you going to make the new president as a physical npc person in the city admin HQ? would like to see something like this so its not just on paper. 95% of the neocronplayer may read the name "Jack Red" their first time and replace the lion reza ad in plaza/via sectors.
    Keiner lacht ohne Hoder!

Envy is the highest form of recognition

Does sound promising! Will look forward to hearing the feedback once Sparta is live.

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    The problem with making an "Anarchy Breed" faction, is that everyone wants to have as many enemies as possible, and will probably want to join that faction. But wont everyone then get to be Allied?
    I believe it will require heavy RED SL to be apart of, thus removing the choice of NPC contact, GR access etc?

für einen freien Geist Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

Awesome

Will be interesting finding working setups again.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerpunsh View Post
    What an announcement. I like it... every part... cant wait for Sparta.

Are you going to make the new president as a physical npc person in the city admin HQ? would like to see something like this so its not just on paper. 95% of the neocronplayer may read the name "Jack Red" their first time and replace the lion reza ad in plaza/via sectors.
    That would be interesting and helping. There really were several people that didn't know who he was. And others that still don't know what happened. But I think the City Admin HQ is out of question, considering that Jack Red just visited there on schedule, and was killed with that one visit. Guess the next President would feel a bit unwell sitting in there ;-).
    But some ackonwledgement of the world would be nice.
    I may not agree
    with what you have to say,
    but I'll defend to the death
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

so nice of you all to anounce this on my birthday just show you do care about me i like where this is going.

titan-Gerrald Tarrant, Warlok
    BAD ASS 74/65 NERFED HYB {apu now}
    BLACK SOUL 79/67 RIFLE PE

AND SOMEOTHERS I WONT SAY

And what about op fight mechanics aka Underground Whoring (TM) ?
    Poke me baby, one more time!

I really like what you are doing.

(Also I don't think it's necessary to remove decimals from stats. I think decimals are a good way to increase the number of setups. For exemple, for PEs, using exp. dext. 4 instead of dext. booster 3 mean something at the moment and will have an impact on which implant you will choose in your brain, etc.)
    (Moreover, without Brammers (item DB) I'm nothing, go easy with him )

Good work !!
    I behave as a signature

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast