Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Neocron on Steam?

I have no idea how hard it would be to pull this off but if Neocron was a free game on steam we would have ALOT of new players

Any thoughts?
    -Nitro

Steam is not an option right now for a number of reasons.
    We have not started to advertise and campaign for new players really and we hold back such efforts on purpose. We're happy for everyone who enjoys Neocron as is now, but we want to resolve some of the remaining major issues before we start calling in the masses. These issues include stability, security and the game balance.

at your house, thinking of fun ways to kill you.

yeah... if too many started playing then i think the servers would fry... Don't think Neocron could handle the amount of people that Steam could potentially bring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoi View Post
    Steam is not an option right now for a number of reasons.
    We have not started to advertise and campaign for new players really and we hold back such efforts on purpose. We're happy for everyone who enjoys Neocron as is now, but we want to resolve some of the remaining major issues before we start calling in the masses. These issues include stability, security and the game balance.
    This is completely understandable but what about after the server(s) are stable and the game is balanced?
    -Nitro

FUCK NO STEAM!!!! i hate that stupid DRM SHIT. NO FUCKING STEAM!!! don't even start... the next thing you know, you are steam exclusive.

TBH.. as far as i know the neocron world as well as the servers couldn't handle more then 1500 players max or something.. so if many more would join there would be a need for way more servers... and if NC is a free game who will pay for those?

The REAL Walker

Wow such unneeded hate for Steam from eNTi
    I do agree with TgR though, NC wouldnt be able to handle that many players. The World would get majorly overpopulated and the server.. Uh the poor server!
    And as Mokoi said, NC is not really ready for the masses yet either
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

unneeded hate for drm? are you kidding me? there will NEVER BE ENOUGH HATE for DRM.

When it comes to an online only game like neocron, steam wouldn't really be DRM.

Slaving over Sony Vegas CMaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
    unneeded hate for drm? are you kidding me? there will NEVER BE ENOUGH HATE for DRM.
    Steam isn't DRM, it's a distribution platform.

It OFFERS DRM if the developer wants it. But it isn't DRM as of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by [TgR]KILLER View Post
    TBH.. as far as i know the neocron world as well as the servers couldn't handle more then 1500 players max or something.. so if many more would join there would be a need for way more servers... and if NC is a free game who will pay for those?
    You bring up a good point... Then perhaps make it a $5-10 game? My self i would gladly pay $30-40 for a stable balanced reload on steam but i may be the minority

Quote Originally Posted by CMaster View Post
    Steam isn't DRM, it's a distribution platform.

It OFFERS DRM if the developer wants it. But it isn't DRM as of itself.
    this is why i felt steam would be good for a game like Neocron

but perhaps my idea is just ahead of its time... I would love to see Neocron with server pops nearing 70-90% load again the game felt more alive that way
    -Nitro

just a Citizen

IŽll always prefer real free games .. by this i dont think of free to play but free to get without any bindings like Steam or EA or anything like that. Doesnt matter if its free to play or online-only ..
    There is nothing of higher worth than beeing independent of publishing platforms ..
    .. Steam or any other should only be an option, if the game can also be downloaded and used without ..

Just my opinion ..
    "Never expect anybody to be smart .. anytime, anywhere!"

Maverick Hawk - Tangent Technology - Titan

how is steam NOT DRM? you got ONE platform for many of your games. maybe even all of them. if you are cheating in any (multiplayer) game your whole ACCOUNT with ALL your games might get suspended. it's enough that you are able to run your games through steam only. you are at valve's discretion to be able to play the games you may or may have not purchased, no matter if they use steam works or not. that's DRM. they can simply (digitally) remove your rights to play.

I've bought games through steam because they were on sale and then was able to get a code off steam that allowed me to download the standalone game without steam from the developer's website and play it without steam.

There's thousands of games on steam that aren't exclusive to it, if Neocron were to ever get on steam I'm 100% sure we'd keep our independent client and be able to choose to get it on steam or not.

Also not every multiplayer game on steam uses VAC and even with those that use it, not all of them ban you from all VAC enabled games when you cheat on them. Almost everything you've said is a half truth or completely wrong, Valve can't and don't remove your right to play games, they only ban you from playing multiplayer on VAC servers, you can still play single-player and you can still play muliplayer on servers that don't have VAC on.

Sounds like you just hate steam 'cause you had a bad experience with it once.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by hatmankh View Post
    Snip.
    This..
    Stop being ignorant eNTi..
    I know several people who has gotten banned from ONE game on Steam.. They can still play all their other games just fine.
    Stop hating something without real reason..
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast