I'll politely disagree BolongaTugboat, and the reason why is because while you might have a great point about graphics and the nuances of PC gaming, I'd like to point out that one thing Neocron has that many of the other games today lack, is its atmosphere. In particular, Neocron does an excellent job portraying the cyberpunk dystopian future that many MMO's lack in today. With a combination of its classes, its interesting lore in the city and outside of it, and unique features like Hacknet, which I have not seen modern MMO's emulate, there's a lot of good solid bones in this game for niche markets. Roleplayers looking for this kind of setting, either something from say Cyberpunk, or the White Wolf style gaming systems, or Shadowrun, would find themselves fairly well at home in Neocron. There's also the people who enjoy vintage gaming, and you also have the markets of individuals looking for free games to play. Neocron also has a moderately small installation file, compared to modern offerings. While that may not sound too impressive to a modern gaming PC with multiple terabytes of storage, the small footprint won't detract from the game.

Many things are dated in Neocron, but they're working on it, which is wonderful! Its slow going, but with the right attention the game could make a nice, satisfactory comeback. I'm a little sad about the split though admittedly I don't know much about it, what I DO know is that there's definitely a schism between people who prefer the older gameplay pre-DoY and the offerings the team here gives us. I'm a huge hacknet nerd, I had been back when I started, and I really think that the right niches of gamers are looking for a game like Neocron, I've really not seen any mmo offerings that compete.