Thread: Pretty Epic ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Just as the paypal section goes up....
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Conspirocron. Alduin bought Epic to get us to buy him a new laptop... or so...
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Torg View Post
    i think we're closing in on a deal here.
    Haha, that made my day
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

I would definitely try and find some money to donate to a laptop. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I would definitely try and find some money to donate to a laptop. Just saying.
    I would double down on that offer. Just saying.

"Somebody get our flag back!"

I miss that voice.

Alive and still kickin'! Haggis.at's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
    Haha, that made my day
    Hmmm - make a Kickstarter "Alduins new Dev-Laptop" how does that sound? ^^
    If anyone does just mail me - I hop right in for a new and revamped NC... (Even for a NC1 with Patch 118 *fg*)

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis.at View Post
    Hmmm - make a Kickstarter "Alduins new Dev-Laptop" how does that sound? ^^
    If anyone does just mail me - I hop right in for a new and revamped NC... (Even for a NC1 with Patch 118 *fg*)
    However, just a new Laptop for Alduin would only be the start The more major problem will in the be the assets which will need a complete rework. The game won't look better just from using a new engine (although it would make life far easier for us if we would rewrite several parts of the game from scratch), also the assets needs to be adopted to make use of all the new features.
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Guess we should start a NC3:UE4 Kickstarter... oh... wait...
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Alive and still kickin'! Haggis.at's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alduin View Post
    (although it would make life far easier for us if we would rewrite several parts of the game from scratch),
    And how would you expect to do this without a new laptop? *fg*

It would not be only the engine but the complete set of dev tools that could make life easier... Poking around in NCs code must feel like getting a network line in my company running - I always manage to do it but without a network plan, climbing around on ladders to look for free patch ports then following the description into our 19" rack rewiring the patch panel hoping that our cash registers will still work after I'm done... You (and the whole volunteer team) have my utmost respect

Joking apart and being deadly serious because I know nothing of coding. Is a port of NC onto a new engine remotely possible?

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Joking apart and being deadly serious because I know nothing of coding. Is a port of NC onto a new engine remotely possible?

The question has to be whether it is feasible with the status quo we're looking at.
    A small team of part time hobbyists with a notable lack on the art creation side of things. I do not mean to belittle the NST here the slightest - I applaud them for what they manage to pull off with almost no resources and a buttload of hard work and dedication. Still, imho the answer has to be no.

Even if it was possible to port aspects of the game mechanic and assuming that the programming side of things (reimplementing the server architecture on a different engine et al) was the minor issue, you'd still have to update (read: recreate) pretty much all the artwork. That's a shitload of work, even for industry vets it would take a considerable amount of manhours/money.

Then there is the whole legal minefield waiting to explode with regards to who may or may not build what basically amounts to a new game on the basis of the old NC intellectual property and code base.

I wish it was doable, but joking aside, I don't think this is something we can or should expect from the NST.
    Needless to say that I wouldn't mind being proven wrong on this one

edit: oh ... and we can still buy Alduin a gaming laptop for the native Linux and OS X ports.
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    The question has to be whether it is feasible with the status quo we're looking at.
    A small team of part time hobbyists with a notable lack on the art creation side of things. I do not mean to belittle the NST here the slightest - I applaud them for what they manage to pull off with almost no resources and a buttload of hard work and dedication. Still, imho the answer has to be no.
    I was unaware that we have seen anything from the new art team other than a couple logos. Do we even know who they are? For all we know it could be some epic artists that play Neocron in their spare time along with volunteering on the NST. :-)

I am not trying to insight an argument here, but do you know who the artists are and have you seen work that I'm aware unaware of? I'm also not saying that you're wrong, in all likelihood there is no way that it would ever be done. But I think given the limited information we know about the entire team and the limited work that we have seen in the recent past I don't see how we can make any educated judgments or predictions.

Additionally, telling a group that they basically do shit work but you really appreciate them is not a compliment.

It's somewhat akin to a recent poster discussing "recent instabilities in Tech Haven.org" and how that was taken by the creators and support staff of your website. Yes we all do appreciate the site and content. But how did that make you guys feel about the time and effort you put into it it's upkeep having a comment like that?

I realize that this thread is not meant for this type of discussion but I felt it needed to be said and if editing is warranted I'm okay with that. You can see my history is nothing along the lines of flaming and inciting arguments. At least in the recent past :-)

Quote Originally Posted by hudsonbeck View Post
    It's somewhat akin to a recent poster discussing "recent instabilities in Tech Haven.org" and how that was taken by the creators and support staff of your website. Yes we all do appreciate the site and content. But how did that make you guys feel about the time and effort you put into it it's upkeep having a comment like that?
    Just to point out, aKe`cj isn't the owner or an administrator of the THN, he's one of the many fans or users who just felt the comments against THN wasn't quite justified.

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    ...you'd still have to update (read: recreate) pretty much all the artwork. That's a shitload of work, even for industry vets it would take a considerable amount of manhours/money.
    Thats it. The workload is nearly the same then creating the assets from scratch.

bd_wip.jpg

telling a group that they basically do shit work but you really appreciate them is not a compliment.
    I did not say this and I do not mean to imply it in any way.
    By "a lack on the art creation side of things" I refer to the manpower/resources, not the (in the grand scale of things: little) work that is being produced. Obviously this is based on what I know/have seen and yes, there could be a well hidden squad hammering away 3D models and maps like mad without my knowledge.
    When I say I really appreciate the NST and every minute they contribute to NC, I mean it. I referred to the NST as dedicated, but part-time hobbyists and I do not say this to belittle them (as I explicitly pointed out before), but because thats where we are at and it does impact the feasibility of (re-)developing a complex MMO.

As Brammers already said, I am not affiliated with the THN. I do however have the same appreciation for the THN folks that I have for most everyone contributing to NC and commented on the issue because I felt that they did not deserve this kind of treatment.

I realize that this thread is not meant for this type of discussion but I felt it needed to be said and if editing is warranted I'm okay with that. You can see my history is nothing along the lines of flaming and inciting arguments. At least in the recent past :-)
    Thats ok. You feel I am attacking the NST with my assessment and since that is not my intention at all, your argument gives me the chance to reiterate this point.
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast