We are the CityMercs

The community is still active, making patches and stuff, i think it might be time for you to revisit it, Drachenpaladin... you might enjoy it now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dribble Joy View Post
    -insert derogatory reference to Twilight franchise in order to make me seem more enlightened-
    Who are you? Don't answer, because I don't mind and you don't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Manuel Moonez View Post
    What about Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines? Excellent RPG, fantastic atmosphere and game. A true masterpiece of the classic PC genre.
    That didn't have glittering vampires, it had proper WoD vampires, much like the Anne Rice vampires. Dark, brooding, broken, and damaged people, living a life of torment, longing, lust and greed.

I think this is why I am looking forward to the World Of Darkness by CCP games. Even though I am not a huge fan of Vampire the Masquerade, I am a fan of the genre of the World of Darkness. I was always more of a Werewolf: The Apocalypse and Hunters & Hunted.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    Who are you? Don't answer, because I don't mind and you don't matter.
    Unwilling to engage in discussion and dismissive!

Aside from assuming that other interpretations of a mythos aside from your own are reprehensible, deriding the Twilight franchise based on the 'glittery vampires' aspect glosses over, masks and distracts us from the more fundamental problems of the series, which are far deeper than some superficial element that can be discredited out of hand.

Bella is presented as blank page (other being a little secluded, doesn't bring attention to herself and who's near only defining feature is that she likes to read - Who are those reading this again?). This in of itself is not a problem, the silent protagonist for example being particularly common in games.
    What both do is place the reader/player in place of the character. They do not watch them but become them, it can be a powerful tool of immersion.

What you can also do is then present choices and characterisations as being those of the reader/player rather than the character.
    When done well this can be used to challenge people's prejudice, world-view and assumptions by asking if they agree with a choice 'they' have made. Getting someone to question themselves is a lot more powerful than simply questioning them.
    When done badly it promotes the character decisions presented to them as something to aspire to and just ends up being manipulative.

And this is where things go down-hill fast with respect to Bella's characterisation (such that it is).

She is whiny, selfish, completely dependent on others - intentionally so, even going as far as to deliberately endanger herself and manipulate others to bring attention. She views her troubles as world-breaking when she really has none, constantly depicting herself (to herself and others) as tortured and yet is self-absorbed enough to do nothing to analyse/resolve her own issues or take responsibility.

This would be fine if the writing wasn't terrible, or if those characterisations were presented in a manner that the reader could view them from several angles and make a choice about them.
    Neither are done. And nothing is portrayed as being a mistake that could be learned from.

Her and Edward's relationship is disturbing enough without the rest.
    She is initially drawn to him for the things that surround him - The world of vampires and werewolves, the mystique, the danger.
    This isn't bad, we ourselves did the same when we started playing Neocron, but Bella confuses the love she has for that which surrounds Edward (and his aloofness) with being in love with Edward, made even worse with how bland he is.

And wub him does she so.
    Even after he quite rightly told her not to have anything to do with him and the dangers involved if she does.
    Even after he warns her that if he were to sleep with her, he 'wouldn't be able to control himself', destroys the bed they are in, leaving her battered and bruised (he's then appalled at harming her, but she says it's OK and then asks him to do it again).
    Even after he flat out, to her face, calls their child an abomination.

It's been pointed out in several places that they meet most if not all criteria for being in a genuinely abusive relationship - in both directions.

In short - The characters are horrible and shallow, the writing is atrocious and it's message to it's readers is a romanticisation of abuse, self-imposed rejection of personal responsibility/identity and lack of female empowerment.
    (And yes, the writer is a woman).
    Last edited by Dribble Joy; 22-11-13 at 02:27.

Umm, the fuck happened here?

I think we got boring while waiting for FA:4.....

I think we got boring while waiting for FA:4.....

I mean... there is still pleeeeeeenty of time to kill you know...
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Best forum bitch slap in a long time.

I approve of this.

drachen your contradicting yourself too. Saying the game was too buggy then admitting to never getting past the tutorial is a bit of a sweeping generalisation akin to saying a movie you went to see was shit because the cinema queue was too long.

I wonder with all of these contradictions getting passed around on the forum lately, from the same few tired posters i might add, are some of you politicians in your day jobs?
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

Unwilling to engage in discussion and dismissive!
    *REMOVED THE POINTLESS BOOK REVIEW OF SOMETHING NO ONE CARES ABOUT*
    There is a difference between unwilling and dismissive to what I am doing. I flat out don't care, let me put that to you another way, I DO NOT CARE! About Bella, Edward and the pound puppy boy toy third wheel they have. I am sure the story gets teen emo girls all funny feeling in the wrong ways when they think about Edward and how he is the "safe" bad boy, or Jacob who is the "wild" bad boy. I have had to watch several of the movies and write reviews on them and I can tell you if the book is twice the story of the movie then I can see that I am not missing much.

In a nutshell, Twilight is this.

Lonely troubled self entitled girl moves to small rural backwater town falls for the "bad boy" in school. Who turns out to be the one person in that whole podunk town that won't or more accurately CAN'T sleep with her. (Well at first anyway). Thus making their love a family fun safe kind of love. Her needy loser child hood friend secretly has had a crush on her since they were little starts to blossom into a full grown man and catches her eye as he is a ready and willing partner in her need for physical satisfaction. Thus throwing the teen hormone coin into the ring. But ultimately breaks his heart to go back to the bad boy who is safe because he offers her something she couldn't get from her life long friend, mystery.

That pretty much summed up the first couple of movies. Sure there are a few other plot points I left out but no one here, save you, cares about the Twilight series.

Quote Originally Posted by Hodo View Post
    zzzzzz

More importantly is what the fuck does it have to do with Fallout.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    More importantly is what the fuck does it have to do with Fallout.
    As long as I can make people's heads explode with Teddy Bears being fired out of a Cannon I'm down for Fallout 4.

This thread...

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    drachen your contradicting yourself too. Saying the game was too buggy then admitting to never getting past the tutorial is a bit of a sweeping generalisation akin to saying a movie you went to see was shit because the cinema queue was too long.

I wonder with all of these contradictions getting passed around on the forum lately, from the same few tired posters i might add, are some of you politicians in your day jobs?
    Oh you nailed me down

Well, technically i got stuck at the tutorial/warehouse thingy and that already was enough for me... I just skipped the tut for the attempts sake in a later run and played it till i had to visit some burned down mansion/hotel/i don't really recall exactly but it was at the beach... so here is your chance to pin me down again. Was very early in the game.
    Anyway, really lost interest at that point, and i admit, i don't recall why either...

I think that shows that the game really didn't leave much of an impression to me^^
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Anything Bethesda makes I put at least 500 hours into so I will assume this game will dominate my life for months.
    Achievement Unlocked: Beta 4 Runner

The burned out mansion was the second mission.... Edward and Bella didnt get freaky till at least mission 8 OMG GUYZ DONT U NO NETHING!!!!!111

"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12