Default [OT] An NC themed song I am working on

About a year ago, I started getting into dubstep/electro-house after years and years of playing the guitar and only listening to bands like Metallica, System of a Down and such. Anyway, long story short, hearing some of this new electronic music made me want to start making some of my own.

I've been writing music for years, but due to the nature of the guitar being a solo instrument, I've never been able to actually put together full songs. That's what appeals to me about making electronic music.

Anyway, by no means do I think this is brilliant. Nevertheless, it represents about a year of learning and 2 weeks of hard work in putting the song together. It isn't finished; not by any means. I haven't yet learned how to properly master the track so there are a few frequency clashes and cut offs where there shouldn't be, and some parts I simply haven't had time to put together yet properly so the timings might be slightly off to those of you with keen ears.

I'm posting this here mainly for critique, and with the hope that some of that critique might be positive, if for no other reason than to help me justify the amount of hours I've put into learning this stuff. That being said, if we have any budding music producers among us, negative critique is more than welcome.

It's a work in progress, so I will be updating it regularly (daily, probably). Here it is, for those that want a listen :

https://soundcloud.com/eighty8bit/at...izens-v1-w-i-p

(The bit I'm the most happy with starts around 2:20)

Thoughts/opinions please!

(eek)

Update:

Quote Originally Posted by L0KI View Post
    Here's version 2 of the song. I think I might have over-mastered it by butchering certain frequencies (which I will fix once I figure out how to master properly), but let me know your thoughts.

https://soundcloud.com/eighty8bit/attention-citizens-v2

Respect if you listen as far as the one launcher cyclops sample
    Last edited by Bifrost; 27-02-13 at 17:24. Reason: Post updated

I like it! Awesome!

Works. We will see how it swings when you finished it up.
    A few of the used samples still feel a bit lost, not the copbot ones, the launcher cyclops and the other one that gets a bit too often repeated ("Fleisch" or what is it?!)
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Works. We will see how it swings when you finished it up.
    A few of the used samples still feel a bit lost, not the copbot ones, the launcher cyclops and the other one that gets a bit too often repeated ("Fleisch" or what is it?!)
    I am having the same feelings about some of the NC samples I used. The launcher cyclops comes in twice, but I think maybe once is enough. I'm also thinking about switching out one or two of the 'Attention Citizens' samples for something else.

That 'chorus'/'drop' bit repeats the 'Oyyyyyyrrrr' noise a bit too frequently too, so that bit will change pretty dramatically.

Thanks for the feedback.

I just realised I uploaded the version without an ending. I'll fix that tomorrow maybe.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Im not a fan of techno/dubstep one slight iota, however the porduction on that is nice, you clearly have some real talent.
    If only you had have used your guitar instead, and a few VST instruments to fill in the other sounds - there are plenty out there, you could make some really nice songs.

I dont know how "techno" is meant to fit into a cyberpunk atmosphere like most people tend to think, i much prefer something like the original music or something a bit more "doom and gloom" (by that i dont mean metal!) rather than mindless dancy music and think it fits the atmosphere alot better.

I do have to say i'd agree with that guitar stuff^^

Maybe you could shred some riffs and putt some heavy distortion effects on it to give it a bit more aggression or so.

Without shamelessly advertising, check out the following tracks. Also wubwub for a game, menu music and more.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Sounds great so far, keep up ze good work

I like it a lot!

Listening to it the fourth time in a row now :-P

Some improvements are still possible, but I think you are on it.
    Keep it up!

Impressive

Now we have to implement Moxxis Underdome to the world of Neocron hrhr.

I really like it!
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

Thanks Zoltan/Nabbl.

There's much more to do yet. There's a lot I want to change, a lot I want to completely remove, and even more I want to 'beef up'. I'm guessing it'll be weeks before I finish it.

Quote Originally Posted by L0KI View Post
    Thanks Zoltan/Nabbl.

There's much more to do yet. There's a lot I want to change, a lot I want to completely remove, and even more I want to 'beef up'. I'm guessing it'll be weeks before I finish it.
    Its a track with good potential, id take out the launcher cyclops samples all together, they just don't seem to fit

Make sure you ignore everyone about adding guitar riffs, there is a time and a place and this track feels really cyberpunky as it is .... maybe sample some of the pepper park adverts...

keep up the good work
    Steve Sparkz 82/64 (ppu)
    WargoleM 63/62 (hc tank)

It needs some DOY samples.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    It needs some DOY samples and less techno.
    ftfy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast