Final Boss of the Internet Kanedax's Avatar

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Finster
    tbh, I consider the idea of giving spies/pes AoE as a bad one

remember guys... we have CLASSES in neocron, you're not meant to be able to use everything with your character! you're making a decision when creating the char. stick to it! or create a new char that is able to use AoE!

neocron has been (as far as i know) the game in which you - as a player - have to make by far the most decicions concering character development, professions, skills, resists etc.

since neocron 1 this great concept has slowly, but constantly, been weakened. what a fail imho ;( LOM pills have been introduced. spells and weapons with new abilities have been added to balance the itempool inbetween character classes. far more changes than i could recap here... in the early days, decisions were persistant. if your con setup sucked, well, there was no way to undo that... instead of playing the char "as is" or creating a new one.

but why? why destroy this great concept of a "soft" class system? a system where you already have so many abilities and possibities. a system, where that huge tank could run around with the tiny liberator instead of his CS. a system, in which a P-E could go h-c and blast his enemies with gatling fire. a system, where a ppu could skill melee and kill his damageboosted enemies with a TL17 sword. but noooo, we want AoE for spies...

well, because the community cried for "balance"... by now, nearly every class is able to do everything by itself. buff, shield, heal, use (nearly) any weapon... wtf...!

what would you say if I wanted a cloaking device for my ppu...
    Whoa! Someone displaying some common sense on this forum, I think that makes it 4 this year.
    I agree completely, I've always considered a rifles bonus to be distance and high accuracy, so I see no reason to give them AoE as well.
    Remember, AoE is designed with the drawback of occasionally harming yourself if you're not careful. Rifles would never have to worry about that because of the distance.

Don't mention the war. I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it all right. - Basil Fawlty

NeoCrack Baby

Quote Originally Posted by Jodo
    Remember, AoE is designed with the drawback of occasionally harming yourself if you're not careful. Rifles would never have to worry about that because of the distance.
    Heh. I dont know how many times I've ended up killing myself with the Mal.
    ME=Grand Master Jedi PIMP

I stay in the canyons

remember guys... we have CLASSES in neocron, you're not meant to be able to use everything with your character! you're making a decision when creating the char. stick to it! or create a new char that is able to use AoE!

neocron has been (as far as i know) the game in which you - as a player - have to make by far the most decicions concering character development, professions, skills, resists etc.

since neocron 1 this great concept has slowly, but constantly, been weakened. what a fail imho ;( LOM pills have been introduced. spells and weapons with new abilities have been added to balance the itempool inbetween character classes. far more changes than i could recap here... in the early days, decisions were persistant. if your con setup sucked, well, there was no way to undo that... instead of playing the char "as is" or creating a new one.

but why? why destroy this great concept of a "soft" class system? a system where you already have so many abilities and possibities. a system, where that huge tank could run around with the tiny liberator instead of his CS. a system, in which a P-E could go h-c and blast his enemies with gatling fire. a system, where a ppu could skill melee and kill his damageboosted enemies with a TL17 sword. but noooo, we want AoE for spies...

well, because the community cried for "balance"... by now, nearly every class is able to do everything by itself. buff, shield, heal, use (nearly) any weapon... wtf...!

Someone said you make sense... i have to not agree.

However while i think you may have a point (alltough poorly expressed)... i think you put too many things in the same basket and write it off.

For instance:

"...where a ppu could skill melee and kill his damageboosted enemies with a TL17 sword. but noooo, we want AoE for spies..."

Do those too things really have anything to do with each other?

In my opinion diversity is good... I would like HC PE's to be viable... as well as libby tanks! Just because someone wants AOE for spies you cant blame him for SI:less lom pills or ppus being able to kill other peeps.

Personally i think AOE should be removed from all but tanks with exceptions. Droners are too powerfull overflooding the market with stuff they can get so easily (being able to AOE and be safe from all damage to them or their drones). While I would like monk damage to be singular (focused... concentrated) but powerfull ans so obviously with no barrels.

Fusion rifles as AOE wouldn't be a bad idea... as long as the AOE would not be large but to a very small area compared to cannons. I would also reduce the single shot weapons from tanks to a few only.
    Let hc PE's gun all 4x4 vechicle guns without drugs (make HC/melee PE's viable).
    Fix some chips (e.g moveon and marine).
    Put the noob stealth back to 10 sec (or give pe's another 10 sec stealth).
    Make more sense into the negatives on chips (they mostly don't make sense).
    Give PE's a better heal (e.g tl30ish)

i agree with you, awk.

maybe i put too many things together, but i just wanted to point out that the game already provides a great variety of abilities for every char and class. why make the spy even more viable than it already is atm? instead lets give apu monks a reason to "be" again.

---

btw, sorry for my 'bad expression'. i'm from germany and chances to write or speak in english are unfortunately very rare. although i read a lot of english grammar, trying to express yourself is still quite a difference. especially since i had my last english lessons back in 2001 @ highschool

Excellent post Anna.

I remember using both a Liberator and Pain Easer on my first PE. Good times

Seriously though - I 100% share your view on over-"balancing" of the game. In it's current state, it forces one or two viable setups per class, meaning everyone is a clone of one another.

The massive variation which allowed for almost a completely free choice was what made Neocron special for me.

btw, sorry for my 'bad expression'. i'm from germany and chances to write or speak in english are unfortunately very rare. although i read a lot of english grammar, trying to express yourself is still quite a difference. especially since i had my last english lessons back in 2001 @ highschool
    Your English is perfect... and I do mean perfect.

(Sorry for double post - lost my edit option!)

Very good post!

Diversity has vanished from Neocron over the time. I WANT IT BACK.

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl
    Diversity has vanished from Neocron over the time. I WANT IT BACK.
    /Signed.

Quote Originally Posted by L0KI
    /Signed.
    We have a 14-pages thread to this topic in the german Community-Talk-Forum.

No Developer answered to our suggestions. Thats just said. The game could be so much better with little adjustments.

I can agree with all of your points, but unfortunately, asking for these things back is unrealistic. Neocron has taken a turn for making all characters equal, and that's not about to change after all the work that was put into it.
    With the past ideas of the game, as you said, it wouldn't make sense to have aoe pistols and rifles
    However, with the way things are now, it doesn't make sense for them to not have it, since tanks and monks have it, which give them an unfair advantage in leveling and pve in general.

flib:

spies do have the option, too.
    arguing that each char is by now meant to be a clone of one another, just go and lom droning.

/just kidding... :F

€dit: thanks L0ki

Keine Macht dem Benzinkartell MotorMike's Avatar

anna is right spys can lomm on droning - tanks/monks can not high lev droning
    thats why they got there AE
    if Loms would take Much more Exp / more SI etc that would be an other story
    "Mache ich dir Angst ?" - "Ja" - "Ist es meine Narbe?" - "Nein, es ist dein Auto !!"

Bend Over, Touch Your Toes Load's Avatar

did not read,
    spies dont aoe because they have the 'intelligence and dexterity' to use high precision long distance equipment whereas tanks are 'strong and dumb' thus use aoe to get their way bish bash bosh i win kthnxbye

I stay in the canyons

Funny thing....

I agree with the previous poster regarding this matter.

I do not however, like the fact that he came to a conclusion without reading other peoples opinions.

We all get lucky i suppose...
    Let hc PE's gun all 4x4 vechicle guns without drugs (make HC/melee PE's viable).
    Fix some chips (e.g moveon and marine).
    Put the noob stealth back to 10 sec (or give pe's another 10 sec stealth).
    Make more sense into the negatives on chips (they mostly don't make sense).
    Give PE's a better heal (e.g tl30ish)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast