Default [KK] Maybe a solution for the netcode problem

As most of us know, the reason why the netcode is so fucked up are the background verification checks to prevent cheaters.

Yesterday i thought a bit bout it and remembered another online game which encrypts the netpackets using a strong encryption.

That means u could remove the double checks, and maybe (dunno exactly which factors affect this too) the clipping and warping issues would disappear.

KK, what do u think about it? Would it be possible for u to implement this in some time, or would the standard answer be: "not possible without rewriting half of the game".

But there needs to be something serious done, cause this clipping and warping rly kills the game. No F6 patch or other 'content' would help to keep a pvp game alive where u cant do serious pvp cause of the clipping and warping.

greetz

Roger Ramjet fanclub founder SorkZmok's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrWeedster
    But there needs to be something serious done, cause this clipping and warping rly kills the game. No F6 patch or other 'content' would help to keep a pvp game alive where u cant do serious pvp cause of the clipping and warping.
    Amen to that.

It's unbearable since 2.2 came out. Mabye they just need to up the position update timing. But that would mean more bandwidth and maybe KK are just bastards who don't want to invest money into NC anymore. Seeing that patches and fixes pretty much stopped and the only one left doing something is the unpaid event staff. Who actually is doing a great job these days. Just a shame that events can't rescue a broken game.

Quote Originally Posted by SorkZmok
    Amen to that.

It's unbearable since 2.2 came out. Mabye they just need to up the position update timing. But that would mean more bandwidth and maybe KK are just bastards who don't want to invest money into NC anymore. Seeing that patches and fixes pretty much stopped and the only one left doing something is the unpaid event staff. Who actually is doing a great job these days. Just a shame that events can't rescue a broken game.

I think more bandwith wouldnt improve much, cause the packets anyway need to go to the server for a round-trip. Bandwith doesnt mean faster packets, but more. That maybe would improve warping and maybe the 'falling-thru-hills' issue, but not the extreme laggy netcode.

greetz

Encryption can be broken, I don't see that solving the problems of clipping or checking for exploits.

All encryption does is hide the information that is sent.

The problem with the netcode position updates is the client does not compensate for the slow rate of positions updates. It simply does not check that a player is allowed to move through the object.

Well, i said strong encryption.
    With changing keys every x Minutes/Seconds it would be nearly impossible to hack. And i dont think some1 puts that mass energy in breaking the encryption just to be the king of the game.

And as stated by some GMs and some others, the main reason for the crappy netcode are the checks from the server. Its logical: A client which waits on the ACK from the server (maybe more then one ACK) is much more laggy then just position updates from client to server.

greetz

Quote Originally Posted by SorkZmok
    and maybe KK are just bastards who don't want to invest money into NC anymore.
    I'm sorry to go offtopic Weedster, but I may need further explanations from SorkzMok (or eventually any other forum member that recently evoked this idea on the present board) about this dead angle.

Afaik Reakktor is a now a division of 10tacle, which doesn't mean that KK's staff have undergone some turnover or sold their souls to the Devil ; and I'm not aware of any project other than Neocron that would monopolize all their internal ressources for the moment. 10tacle has around 400 employees (including KK), mostly developpers, so I ask the question : are KK devs actually concerned by any 10tacle upcoming game ? Not afaik.

On the other hand, Neocron could be some kind of gallery taken for granted to show a demonstration of their "skills", or a reliable source of money (or maybe both), cause it seems that they - may - recently have extended their services pallets (customer care, payment solutions, animation ?). Whenever it is true, I don't think it would be in their interest to give up the updates and lose their already small playerbase.

Until I'm contradicted by a forum member or some KK's official, I think disatisfied people should better blame 10tacle's "decisionnaires" and shareholders rather than Reakktor developpers.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeninja
    Afaik Reakktor is a now a division of 10tacle, which doesn't mean that KK's staff have undergone some turnover or sold their souls to the Devil ; and I'm not aware of any project other than Neocron that would monopolize all their internal ressources for the moment. 10tacle has around 400 employees (including KK), mostly developpers, so I ask the question : are KK devs actually concerned by any 10tacle upcoming game ? Not afaik.
    KK are all working on Black Prophecy.

There used to be a higher rate of patches in NC1, but in NC2 that has slowed down a fair bit. Whether this is due to a longer design, code and test cycle or they have less resources available for NC, only KK can tell us.

Live in Hope, Die in Sync Selendor's Avatar

Thats what I was trying to suggest the other day, that if they are unwilling or don't have the resource to make major changes to the game, then perhaps they could find the common bottleneck thats causing the problem and boost it up a little. Depends on the cost of doing so though, I don't think 10craple are going to throw money at the game any more than they can.

When you look at games like AutoAssault getting shut down recently, with, I presume, a much larger population than Neocron has had, I suppose we are lucky that the game is still going. Its just a shame that over time the game has got worse in key areas (the combat, the movement) while improving in others (zones, support, server stability).

Quote Originally Posted by Brammers
    Black Prophecy.
    Everything is coming back to my mind now (the interview). I feel so stupid and naive...

Live in Hope, Die in Sync Selendor's Avatar

Which role does Reakktor plays in the new title “Black Prophecy”

"As developer of this project, Black Prophecy is Reakktor’s next big task. Therefore the granted significance for this project is accordingly high. "

edit - Interestingly, while 2006's financial report for 10Tacle mentions this project, there is not mention of it or Reakktor at all in the recently release June 2007 equity study.
    Last edited by Selendor; 20-07-07 at 14:16.

Err I've been away from ages, please forgive me but what is Black Prophecy?
    New patch, new story line, whole new game?

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet
    lol, just lol. I mean, really LOL. If there was a case bigger than upper case, i'd be typing LOL in it now.

Source : http://www.equitystory.com/download/..._eng_final.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Selendor
    Interestingly, while 2006's financial report for 10Tacle mentions this project, there is not mention of it
    Noticed that too

Quote Originally Posted by RusSki
    Err I've been away from ages, please forgive me but what is Black Prophecy?
    New patch, new story line, whole new game?
    This is all I can do for you by now :

Quote Originally Posted by SnowCrash 10-13-06
    Questions regarding the product “Black Prophecy”

* Which role does Reakktor plays in the new title “Black Prophecy”

As developer of this project, Black Prophecy is Reakktor’s next big task. Therefore the granted significance for this project is accordingly high.

* Would it be accurate to say this will be a 'spiritual successor' (e.g. system shock/bio shock or xcom/ufo:aftermath) to Neocron?

Without calling Black Prophecy implicitly Neocron 3, we are remaining true to ourselves. Which means that we will not break new grounds stylistic and atmospheric wise. However, Black Prophecy will be another game genre. Which genre you might ask, but at the current time I am not allowed to answer this question.

* Will Black Prophecy exclusively offered for the Asian market or are there any plans for a North American or European release?

Though this decision has not been finally made, it is aimed towards the European/north American market. According to current analysis the product would not fit the requirements of the Asian market.

* When can we expect information about this new game?

Traditionally it is always awkward to speak openly about such dates. Fact is that we are in a very early stage of the project and several things have to be clarified before we can bring any details to light. I think that we can lift the curtain in approximately half a year.
    Last edited by Zeninja; 20-07-07 at 14:56.

cheers.

although it sounds ominous

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet
    lol, just lol. I mean, really LOL. If there was a case bigger than upper case, i'd be typing LOL in it now.

Until I'm contradicted by a forum member or some KK's official, I think disatisfied people should better blame 10tacle's "decisionnaires" and shareholders rather than Reakktor developpers.
    Right !

each time i read this kind of threads, I feel so sorry that an awesome game like neocron doesn't get more money from 10tacles ...

Guys seriously, something I dont understand:
    How do you expect to solve the clipping problem with runners running @ 200 mph? And PCs having FPS @ 10, 20 30? Do the maths and you will see why you clip. We are all basically small Ferraris running all around all

Now why we didn't clip in NC1? well who in NC1 used to invest so much in speed?

Edit: Also another thing: something being in equity reports, doesnt guarantee that the project will proceed and finish. It might have started and moved to a point and then abandoned.
    Last edited by jini; 20-07-07 at 16:39.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast