Default [OT] XP install on SATA

Quick question: Does XP with SP2 ondisk still need the floppy disk fuckery or not to install clean on a sata drive?

I'm building my bro a new comp and don't want to ass about.

Default Hmmm

The better way is to use a SATA integrated Windows XP's CD

Sometimes windows just refuses you to install the SATA driver even if you have it on floppy disk.

The windows version I have is FR so I can't upload it for you but you may find that on the internet I'm pretty sure but you'll need your own licence.

So I might have to ass about anyways.. figures.

Quote Originally Posted by Glok
    Quick question: Does XP with SP2 ondisk still need the floppy disk fuckery or not to install clean on a sata drive?

I'm building my bro a new comp and don't want to ass about.
    I installed Windows XP SP2 straight onto a SATA drive without any floppy disks, and that was about a year ago, so you shouldn't need any floppys.

you could always boot up the cd and see if it recognizes your HD and then quit out before you format...

But as far as i know, sp2 does have the ability to pick up sata in the bootup, its just good to double check
    ====Need Help?====
    Construction Guide
    Connection Guide
    ================
    Game Philosopher

Cool. I was hoping SP2 fixed that little niggle, but Microsoft's site is just worthless when you need specific info. I'll pick up a floppy drive just in case though, I didn't even order one with his comp.

edit: the comp: (he's a graphic designer but a gamer too)

Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
    E6400
    2x 1GB Mushkin DDR2-800
    2x 320GB WD 8MB SATA
    XFX GF7950 (not sure exact model, they called him cause the 7900GT I picked was out of stock)
    etc etc

Monitor has yet to be picked, we are gonna go to CompUSA for the in-person look at them.
    Last edited by Glok; 12-12-06 at 23:39.

I use XP SP2 and it can install directly onto SATA, but if u wanna run it in RAID u need a RAID driver on floppy for it to work.

However i run 2 160GB Maxtor SATA in RAID (Stripe) and i have to use a floppy with RAID driver for windows xp installation, but it worked without any problems at all, i have a AsRock K8UNF3 mainboard, and i did the exat same setup on a gamerig i sold to a customer, i built him a computer with a Asus mainboard and 2x 250GB Maxtors SATA in stripe mode, installation was no problem.

If i were u , id go for a setup with two SATA disk in stripe, the performance increase is around 100% when it comes to disk r/w which means way faster loading of apps and games.
    In a world of code, learn or lose...

Quote Originally Posted by SizZLeR
    If i were u , id go for a setup with two SATA disk in stripe, the performance increase is around 100% when it comes to disk r/w which means way faster loading of apps and games.
    Granted it's fast, only one problem with stripe, if a disk packs up, you are fucked, since half of your data is on the broken disk.

Hmm...*Goes to check his mirrored disk server*

See edit^^

I haven't decided on the raid yet, though I did get 2 disks.

All depends on your mainboard and sata disk i guess. build loads of comps @ my old work and 2 types of mobo's ( pre build asus vintage cases ) installed windows without a disk.. then a self build system that had a MSI mobo did need the floppy before it would see the sata disk..

Nothing wrong with having a floppy drive in anyway.. always comes in handy sooner or later.

smells

Got a WD Raptor on a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe. No Problems with installing WinXP Pro (SP1) from CD.
    Jagurat - Tankus meli ordinarus(gemeiner MC-Tank) 56/64 - Mars (deactivated)

City Merc mit Leib und Seele.
    City Merc with Body and Soul.

*BURNER

i got 2 Sata-Raids onboard, the promise not working without a fdd-driver, but the other one is a via-raid.. this one works out of the box with xp cd (i used a xp sp2 cd). but allways good having a usb-fdd/usbstick arround. last time i was using a wired bootdisk from bootdisk.info to load up a small ramdrive with just raid-drivers in there on drive A: + installing xp from the bootdisk (loaded all the shit onto a usb-stick :P).
    i miss ya, pheebz

Quote Originally Posted by Brammers
    Granted it's fast, only one problem with stripe, if a disk packs up, you are fucked, since half of your data is on the broken disk.

Hmm...*Goes to check his mirrored disk server*
    So true indeed, but if u leave your OS installed on a single HD and that HD dies, u r in the exact same situation.

Then one could say that running in stripe there r twice the risk that one of the HDs will die, but thats chaos theory i think, as u might as well buy one disk and get the one that dies within 3 months or u can buy two disks and the first is the one thats going to die while the other one doesnt, or maybe they both die.

To me the situation is the same, i see the same amount of risk applying whether u go for a single HD or dual SATA.
    In a world of code, learn or lose...

The Don sends his regards rob444's Avatar
    Sweden where polarbears are walking the streets.

Well, seeing as I install Windows 2000 Professional on a SATA Drive without a floppy, you shouldn't have any problems with Windows XP .
    /Rob

Quote Originally Posted by rob444
    Well, seeing as I install Windows 2000 Professional on a SATA Drive without a floppy, you shouldn't have any problems with Windows XP .
    people it doesn't have fuck all to do with the OS..( ok don't go try it with windows 95 or 3.11 now ) its the sata controller on the mobo thats the thing bitching read the post i did before.. exactly the same OS with exactly the same SATA disk on diffrent mobo's some need the driver some don't.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast