Well, the worst possible thing happened to our clan on Saturn last night. One of our officers "lost control" of his account and it was used to loot and rob us clean. Total losses: 15 million credits and several million worth of stuff in the clan cabs.

The "player" that owns the character posted a statement:

"I haven't played that char in many months. I logged in to him soon as I read this and lo and behold, he had no credits, no armor, no weapons, nothing. I didn't do that, but if it is required for my rank to be lowered, I do understand....I will check around on my friends, see if anyone got on my computer while I wasn't home. I'll do my best to try and figure this one out myself."

Needless to say we have booted him and his alts but the consensus is that this behavior is unlike the individual we had come to know and promoted to officer rank. And, this statement from him doesn't explain everything such as how the looter gained apartment access, suffice to say that security has been a little lax lately as what few of us remain have mostly been out having as much fun as possible, and also dealing with RL issues, instead of slogging through the piss-poor clan-management interface. My suspicion is that our officer shared his account and our apartment password with a roommate at some time in the last few months, and that individual signed in at an opportune time to make the heist.

So basically, we're screwed, we probably have no recourse but to learn from our mistakes. Obviously we have just now cleaned up our house a bit, booted a bunch of known/unknown inactives, etc. If anyone has any productive ideas for us, please post them. Let the general topic of this thread be related to how to securely manage a clan given the limited tools at our disposal. We had 20+ officers (out of 140+ characters on the roster,) all it took was 1 rogue for it to get all screwed up. I guess what it comes down to, again and again, is:

*DON'T SHARE YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION, DOING SO CAUSES PEOPLE TO GET SCREWED.

*CHANGE YOUR NC ACCOUNT PASSWORD REGULARILY.

*DON'T SAVE THE PASSWORD ON YOUR NC CLIENT NO MATTER HOW UNLIKELY IT SEEMS THAT SOMEONE MIGHT USE IT.

*CHANGE YOUR CLAN APARTMENT PASSWORD REGULARILY (I recommend bi-weekly).

*AUDIT REGULARILY (no less than monthly) THE ROSTER OF PLAYERS WITH MONEY ACCESS.

Thanks for your time,

DJ