the myth and the concept Richard Slade's Avatar

Default Just a strange Exam [WAY OT]

Just had the most odd exam ever...
    I was 15 A4 pages... Of nothing.
    Just one line.
    It said
    "Is this a question?"
    Anyone had this before and what is the answer?!
    My guess was
    "If this is an answer." but I dunno..
    ANYONE?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nidhogg
    If it was bland and politically correct it would be utter crap.

The answer is "Yes"
    JackScratch, Chairman-TechSyn

was it in Psychology or something ?
    TITAN
    Fenyx Rifle Spy - Fenix PPU Monk -
    Draven HC Tank - Turkish Pistol PE -
    Magneto Slotgod - Fenix-Res Researcher -

I wish NC's soundtrack was a bit more like this ...

Xenocell's indiegogo fundraiser!, mmo fps-rts that ive worked on, check it out

Wish I had examples like that o_o
    "Come, Paladin, see for yourself. From here, you will witness the final destruction of the Alliance and the end of your insignificant class."

Default Re: Just a strange Exam [WAY OT]

Originally posted by Richard Slade
    Just had the most odd exam ever...
    I was 15 A4 pages... Of nothing.
    Just one line.
    It said
    "Is this a question?"
    Anyone had this before and what is the answer?!
    My guess was
    "If this is an answer." but I dunno..
    ANYONE?
    It's a very old attitude test for Oxbridge entry (I can't remember which one).

The answer suposedly gives an insight into your personality, which is regarded by both as being "as important as grades" (if you believe them is up to you ). eg. "If this is an answer" implies lateral thinking and self-confidence.

This particular test is normally observed and your reaction is potentially more important than the answer you give.

They have literally hundreds of similar tricks. My favourite's are the chair games in interviews : eg the interviewers have their chairs the wrong way round and their backs to you, you have no chair or the only free chair is on their side of the table, etc.

Im very interested to hear what my answer means. Given it is the only correct one.

haha i woulda filled all 15 pages with an answer ;D

would have been like:
    "Is this a question?"
    answer:
    "It depends on which language you are using grammer from. If in spanish than no, that is not a question, you forgot the ¿. " then woulda eventually went and talked about aliens like this:
    "Now if you are not even using an Earthly grammer or language, you must know some alien grammer or language. Aliens probably have complex grammer and languages so there would be no way what so ever for me to gice you a reply to this forementioned statement."

;D

when i was a jr in high school we did some kinda writing test
    the topic of mine was to write a letter as if it were to a head of a company to request charity for your orginization

i fuckin went crazy on it ;D
    i jus talked about aliens and monkeys and shit >.<
    i got it back and had one of the highest scores ;D

edit: and yes is not the only correct answers. there is no truly correct answer. he doesnt specify. to have a truely correct answer you'd have to have this question: "If I were speaking in completely English grammer and using the proper English language, is this a question?" because without that for all you know he could be using Olde english or anything he wants to. so to put it simpleh theres no real answer.

Thank God. The worst we get in my high school is, "When was the war of 1812?"
    I'm surrounded by idiots and I'm one of them.

To be stupid, selfish, and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost. Gustave Flaubert (1821 - 1880)

I know! 2002 right?

Originally posted by JackScratch
    Im very interested to hear what my answer means. Given it is the only correct one.
    It means you are pedant . It also implies a feeling of superiority if you make no attempt to justify the answer.

@shujin - A mate at school did something similar on his Cambridge maths paper : having finished the 2 1/2 hour paper in <30 mins he got bored so he wrote out in full a C proggy he'd been working on for calculating and rendering FFTs. They tested it then gave him one of a VERY small number of Cambridge unconditional offers.

wwatched a movie the other day in a lit class in college... some dude was saying:

"columbus discovered america in 1982.. "

weird shit...

anyway i've had one like that too; a math test thing back in 3rd grade: "circle all the figures that are circular on this sheet and NOTHING else" ... naturally there were triangles, trapezoids, etc. circumscribed by circles... but then if u think about it if u circle those, ur circling the circle but your also circling the figure within... which ur not supposed to do...
    I'm back. Fear The Red Douche.
    I R MINIC! HEAR ME ROAR!

Were it not for dictionary.com I might have been offended by that. The question, and it was a question by definition, did not ask for justification. An finaly, thankyou.

O have to tell you all. I live for this MENSA crap. It's my damned ocupation. I mean realy, look.

Originally posted by JackScratch
    Were it not for dictionary.com I might have been offended by that. The question, and it was a question by definition, did not ask for justification. An finaly, thankyou.
    It doesn't ask for anything directly, that's why it's clever. It lets you react in an almost completely free way to a simple stimulus thereby making you more of a determinant than itself.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast