Account not active yet

I remember my very first online RPG that i played back in late 96 early 97. It was Meridian59. Prolly the crappiest game graphic-wise you have ever seen but the PvP was UNMATCHED for a few years until 3do started messing around with some of the fundamentals which would eventually ruin the game for many. I played m59 for 4 years. I spent maybe 4 or 5 months of that time building up many characters. Most of the time was spent with Guild interaction and PvP battles. We had hunter sends that would dispatch as soon as we saw a Pker online. But basicially it was the PvP and politics that kept the game exciting for many years.

Neocron has WAAAAY better graphics and, imho, a much more fun PvP system, not to mention a very sizable world with which to explore and have fun. I think there are 2 issues that would help out with the current pk status. First thing would be to not allow any cityadmin hostile factions in the plaza and viarosso sections of the city. yet they are free to roam pepper park but must get there via the outzone to industrial A and B. Its only fair that cityadmin guards attack TG as TG guards attack cityadmin folks.

Second thing i would do is let people leave their LE chips in up to rank 10 without a penalty. This way the newer players get a chance to learn the basic mechanics of the game without having to get ganked by enemy factions or disgruntled ally faction peeps. I think rank 10 is adequate enough time for someone to learn the basics. Perhaps once they reach rank 10 they will get a mail from their faction leader stating that they are now a full fledged supporter of said faction and thus must accept the penalties of the LE based upon the financial burder it places upon their faction. That is when the exp and cash penalties would kick in. Just an idear obviously, but I think that controlling TG activity in plaza and viarosso sections as well as giving new players a few levels of rank to be safe without penality will help.

Valhingen

Originally posted by Martin J. Schwiezer

hoverboy911: I have to think about that "LE-only" server... but something tells me that this cannot be the way... or at least it is not the way this game was meant to be played. Why can't RPers simply ignore the amok PK guys?
    Ick, was just reading back and read this .

The only way RPers can 'simply ignore the amok PK guys' is to keep the LE chip in.

Which means no clans.

No PvP at all (I don't think any players have an issue with roleplayed PvP)

Very, very, limited progression - and ultimately a rather crappy game.

Sorry, just ignoring the problem is not an option. Keeping the LE chip in makes for a very gimped game, with it out it's kind of hard to ignore being killed every time you go to the shops...........

The reason i like this game is because you dont kno what is going to happen when its more exciting that way.. Am i going ot get jumped going into tech haven?? or am i going to find that its empty predictible mobs are not exciting at all maybe the first time u explore an area but thats it thats why neocron is exciting you have to watch your back at all times.

I use to get random pked ALOT back in beta i havent been randomly pked more then twice in retail (all thew other times i as killed i gave them a good reason )
    Last edited by Psycho Killa; 15-01-03 at 04:39.

Originally posted by Foyle

Ick, was just reading back and read this .

The only way RPers can 'simply ignore the amok PK guys' is to keep the LE chip in.

Which means no clans.

No PvP at all (I don't think any players have an issue with roleplayed PvP)

Very, very, limited progression - and ultimately a rather crappy game.

Sorry, just ignoring the problem is not an option. Keeping the LE chip in makes for a very gimped game, with it out it's kind of hard to ignore being killed every time you go to the shops...........
    Yeah, Roleplayed PVP isn't a problem, fighting for OPs isn't a problem, but somone who runs around all of the world of Neocron from his hours of 12 to 6 AM killing every player/car within a zone or two from a genrep is a problem, esspecially when its at anyone, no matter who they are, on a large scale, every day, over and over and over.

There is a clan out ther with a total faction symp in the deep negitives (like 50 or below). And they are held as the standard for that faction (along with the past actions of some), so it has really screwed with player and clan politics.

You see, it would work story wise if there was a faction for these people, like Anarchy Breed, then at least there could be things done that actually go with the story being set, and everything on my end would work out just fine.
    Last edited by Ryu No Gekido; 15-01-03 at 04:41.

Default How to stop Pk'n

Hi. Although I have never posted on these forums, I have been a player/tester of Neocron since the beginning of Beta 4. I could go on with how player killer characters are ruining the atmosphere in this otherwise (bugs and imbalances aside) great game, however others have already made this point for me.

Some steps to erode or dissuade RPKing could include:

Removing the faction tag from none clanned players;
    perhaps it appears once a character reaches rank ??/30

Making it harder for soulight/faction sympathies to rise from below negative values;
    murder/war should have long lasting consecuences

Remove penalties from LE chips;

Reinstate the Anarchy Breed faction;
    persistant RPKers should not belong to the civilized factions, and should be able to be KOS in self defence without taking faction/soulight hits

Remove 'safezones'
    nowhere to hide- however upon the death of a runner within 'copbot watched' zones a copbot could spawn (for example as the S.T.O.R.M. bots were in the offline demo) for 30 seconds using the usual routine of attack all with drawn weapons

Create a Games Master run police force.
    An occasional (not griefing) event could be run where the GM would follow known 'criminals' and announce their location when someone is within Neocron/TH/MB

Anyway that is my 2 cents, however I agree that some clan/ player names should not be allowed. It would be a shame to enforce a chat censorship, but it has been made essential in the past.

RS

With the exeption of the first solution, the rest sound like good ideas Ransom.

The problem with the first one is that all the RPkers will have an exucuse to target everyone. Would be fine and dandy, if they had an Anarchy Breed faction. But because allmost all the Rpkers are above /30, everyone would just see TG as the "bad guys" still. I mean lets face it, why join TG, you can't be a freedom fighter, but you can sure as hell kill who ever you want and have plenty of people to fight. Thats why they joined TG.

But the rest could solve some major issues, and I hope KK is listening.

NC is one of the most innovative MMORPG's out there, the best of the sci fi genre. However it does have its problems, yes it has a lot of bugs, many say the retail is just another name for beta 5. However it is one of the most stable releases for a MMORPG in a long time (Anarchy online's release for example!).
    The main problem is that it cant decide what it wants to be, half the players say fps the other half say rpg. It is ment to be a combo, but frankly that doesn't work.
    People are running around killing everyone in sight not considering thier lvl or state of health as u would in a fps, this doesnt work in an rpg, characters need a chance to lvl and grow strong before fighting higher lvl characters!
    The le chip was a good idea but it doesn't solve the problem as it slows your advance in the game, so the majority dont want to keep it in.
    This all means that the fps fans are stoping rpg fans from enjoying themselves, this may not be a huge problem at the moment as there is little choice in MMORPG's especially for sci fi. However this year sees the release of some of the biggest MMORPG's yet (litterally). These are games such as Star Wars Galaxies, its sci fi and just because of the licence its likely to be the most popular mmorpg ever (even if not the best ), then there is Everquest 2 which although not sci fi it is the sequal to the biggest mmorpg to date, also eve:the second genisis, sci fi and litterally the largest mmorpg to date as it will incorporate linked servers! Ok there are many more but the point is NC is already failing to fill its small servers and with such big games being released, it is going to find it hard to gain new customers! Also when these games come out if the probs with NC aren,t fixed it will draw alot of the NC customer base.

PVP is one of the major draw backs as in a mmorpg if it is not implimented properly then it can cause huge ingame probs as it has in nc (PKing). It stops the game from being fun because of a small population of children (mabey a solution would be to give the game an adult 18 rating, hehe ) but seriously there are many ways around this some of them easy to incorporate.

Alot are listed here :

http://neocron.jafc.de/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41527

One of the best i thought was to flag (put a symbol next to their name) players who kill another player too far bellow their lvl etc that way u let it up to the players to decide what to do with them, not trade with them etc

PKing the defenceless is the same as exploitation, your taking advantage, you ban people for explotitation, so a solution needs to be found for pk( perhalps not so harsh)

A solution has to be found for this and many other probs otherwise NC life will be short, i for one hope this isn't true but something needs to be done!!

Registered User Martin J. Schwiezer's Avatar

I really like the idea from Valhingen to remove the LE punishment until a certain level.

Now I'm not saying everything about this was good, it had many drawbacks, but being able to track locations from the citycom made hunting pks and heading them off a more viable solution.

Martin... great post...

PLEASE dont make this carebear... I played UO in its early days.. these people have NO idea what harsh is If you died your corpes was ENTIRELY lootable. The first response is dead on. I am actually fairly high level but since I am a droner I cant fight in doors. So I run up to the PK and telling them how "I like it rough" and punch them a lot They leave eventually. Course I REALLY love it when they say I am harrassing them after they killed my newbie clannies. They tell me that killing me all the time while shopping is ok but pestering them is not -just shows their level of intelegence- Although this does speak volumes of how little dieing actually affects anyone.

I kinda like Ransom's ideas... All are unrefined but pretty good... Especially about the -asshole- tag... People who gank murderers like megaman should have no penalties. Not sure how to measure that though...

Not to sound cheesy, but a powerful story line would help inspire some comaraderie amongst allies... in (yes I am bringing them up again) DAoC you could not even talk to enamies... It was ALL about the killing. Neocron is a much less defined line where I find myself often teaming with NDA's while I am an FA (most NDA are pretty cool guys). Not sure how to solve this...

There should be more places to hunt and more reason to kill FACTION enemies (not just anyone) to inspre more reason to be territorial.

I can speak from experience as it relates to inside TH. I worry about FA PKs just as much as I do anyothers in TH. Maybe the security should have a bit more of a memory on it. for example... When Twink goes on one of his many FA lowbie killing sprees in TH, the bots remember. Then when he comes back to TH, he cant go anywhere without constantly being irritated by SecBots.

added - one more thing... Maybe hacking citycoms can get that old info back like player locations as mentioned above by Martlet to make Bounty Hunting more viable. In addition we would need a mechanism IN GAME for measuring the amount of distress the Bounty Hunter caused the PK.
    Last edited by VerbalPEZ; 15-01-03 at 05:45.

A lot of frustration comes from not being able to do much about it Martin. If the murderers could be cought and punished, then there is closhure on the PK. At the moment as stated already in the thread, it is almost exclusivly done around safe zones for easy escape.

It can be fixed in one area of Neocron. Pepper Park, by simply losing the copbots or making them only shoot at bsl. Btw this solution in that particular area, will also make the peaple that actually like to fight happy. So you get a bonus.

As for the sewers all we can really do is make a Neocron most wanted poster.

What about whoever is on the most wanted list, can be looted of all gear.
    Oh, I almost forgot: Fuck Reeza!

PKing is good.
    I rarely get griefed. Thats not to say I never get killed by someone but some people make it sound like their whole day is spent getting killed by the so called griefers. When I do get killed I just go to my app and get my shit back. Figure out what I lost and go replace it. I do not go back and bitch and whine and beg for whatever I dropped back.

I say this. There are spots that the "griefers" hang out. You should learn these spots and stay away until you can go there. If you do get killed by someone DO NOT direct them calling them names and everything else. That just makes you more of a target for the next time you are spotted. If you get killed in a place DO NOT reappear there and then wonder why you got killed again. Go back to your apartment and get your backpack through the genrep 9it isnt alot of money people) and go somewhere else to hunt.
    People ask for where else to level except the aggy cellars. Well there are many many places to hunt in the world. Go explore and find them.

Pepper Park
    Just stay the fuck out unless you really need to go in there. Its a known HOTSPOT. If you go in there and get killed well thats just too bad for you.

As for the safezone jumping. Please remove the safezones. Let copbots shoot TG on site. But make the cops have to shoot in a straight line. Not this toxic beam effect that hits you around corners and under shelter.

Well I will tip my hat off to Martin for this post.

Random PKing is usually mixed up with PKing with a PURPOSE.

For example...the "Leader" of some clan made an ass out of me in Plaza a few days ago with his cronies...yeah it was a 4v1 flame fest on my small "clan" (really just a few friends). This pissed me off so now they are KoS to us wherever we go.

Over the past few days, we have dropped roughly 10 of thier clan members. Im sure these guys have no idea why they were dropped, especially by people of an allied faction, so they most likely think its a random pk. The fact is, its not.

So yeah, everyone should just deal with random pking it happens wow I have been random pk'd more times then I can count, you wont see me complain about it UNLESS there was a bug/exploit involved.

I guess with out any other way to fix it I'm going to agree with Martin.

One problem is that cellar-4 in plaza-2 (pluto) has become the place PKers live... You cant go in EVER... This really sucks for my new character and isn't to fair. I dont understand how the minds of these players work.. How sick do you have to be to gank everyone you see in one spot... I dont care if they RANDOM PK but camping one spot and not letting people ever go in is unfair and just asshole-ish.
    Bad Dragon
    Jack Drake
    Run
    My Ppu
    Nipple Goblin

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast