Default APU spells and aiming

Will there be an aiming mechanic implemented with the PSI spell overhaul?

It would fix a lot of issues balance wise!

Regards and Thanks

Odi

Apu spells are fine, it's other gun aiming that could use an overhaul if they're going to be making balance changes. Time to kill is somewhat too long in general and too many weapon misses, especially with burst weapons, plays a big role in that.

Edit: One could imagine beam weapons with Apu like aiming, ravager for instance. Never misses assuming you click when your reticule is over the enemy, but a more closed reticule is a higher charge. Then you could have higher potential damage but harder to aim burst weapons.

In general though, gun miss rate in real pvp is very high, and time to kill pretty long. Adjusting aiming is nice because it pretty much doesn't effect pve and because constant misses due to reticule is a pretty unfun mechanic.
    Last edited by onero S; 30-03-19 at 18:54.

Quote Originally Posted by onero S View Post
    Apu spells are fine, it's other gun aiming that could use an overhaul if they're going to be making balance changes. Time to kill is somewhat too long in general and too many weapon misses, especially with burst weapons, plays a big role in that.

Edit: One could imagine beam weapons with Apu like aiming, ravager for instance. Never misses assuming you click when your reticule is over the enemy, but a more closed reticule is a higher charge. Then you could have higher potential damage but harder to aim burst weapons.

In general though, gun miss rate in real pvp is very high, and time to kill pretty long. Adjusting aiming is nice because it pretty much doesn't effect pve and because constant misses due to reticule is a pretty unfun mechanic.
    This is very much a different direction from what i'd like to see.

Don't you think it would be bad if handling would lose its worth as a weapon quality? I personally quite like the different Factors which play into effectiveness atm. And I would like aiming to stay as it is (although certain weapons behave more like meele than ranged weapons atm).

Handling would still matter, just less punishing to not have full reticule lock.

To clarify, most weapons would work as they currently do, except hit chance increased at all stages of reticule closure. The main difference is beam-type weapons would always hit, but do less damage if the reticule was only partially closed. In both cases handling still matters, but it would decrease time-to-kill and provide a more fps style experience.
    Last edited by onero S; 31-03-19 at 05:43.

Quote Originally Posted by onero S View Post
    Handling would still matter, just less punishing to not have full reticule lock.

To clarify, most weapons would work as they currently do, except hit chance increased at all stages of reticule closure. The main difference is beam-type weapons would always hit, but do less damage if the reticule was only partially closed. In both cases handling still matters, but it would decrease time-to-kill and provide a more fps style experience.
    Aah now I get it. What kind of difference from all the way out to all the way in are we talking? 5 10 15 20 percent?

I think that there should be a better range aspect for spells. It would be nice to see APU spells that could work like sniper rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Odimara Orca View Post
    Aah now I get it. What kind of difference from all the way out to all the way in are we talking? 5 10 15 20 percent?
    20 percent? Not sure, have to be determined though testing.

As for Apu sniping modules... Eh, I think their range is in a good place right now. Let spys be the long range class, that's their niche. 175-250m range feels plenty for Apu. If anything I'd like to see a higher frequency line (perhaps the frost line could become this?).

Hi all,

I don't think there will be any overhaul of the way psi targeting works, it will most likely remain how it is today.

Regarding the range of psi module I'd like overhaul how some of the modules work as right now most are quite similar. For example lance range could be extended to be an APUs "longer range" attack.

I believe if you want true long range you should be looking toward rifles and some cannons though whereas PSI is more close -> medium range.
    Virtus
    Balance
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»Drop that weapon!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Have you considered doing away with reticles altogether?
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Have you considered doing away with reticles altogether?

I'd like this (for many but not all weapons) but I think many players wouldn't. Better middle ground might be improving reticule close speed and lowering miss chance with partially closed one.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtus View Post
    Hi all,

I don't think there will be any overhaul of the way psi targeting works, it will most likely remain how it is today.

Regarding the range of psi module I'd like overhaul how some of the modules work as right now most are quite similar. For example lance range could be extended to be an APUs "longer range" attack.

I believe if you want true long range you should be looking toward rifles and some cannons though whereas PSI is more close -> medium range.

Cool!

I would hate that honestly. I would rather no changes were made than a partial change. The reason i suggest no reticle at all is that whilst radical it would remove a portion of the issue in that the variable closing speed would no longer be a contributing factor to the balance project as a whole. I dont know if closing speed is weapon-based, weapon-lore based or some other arcane solution only the original devs wanted to create.

If the reticles were removed carte blanche it would give a level playing field to balance based off of magazine size, round damage and rate of fire. Provided the crosshair partially covered the target some rounds should in theory land. It would then be on the player to keep the crosshair on target. This might lower the skill ceiling but thats not always a bad thing. It would also provide a modern equivalent to the aiming system players are used to in other games. Also not a bad thing.

Yes its a step towards more fps style of play but again it might not be a bad thing. I believe if implemented well it could breathe new life into the game and make pvp more accessible. It would, at the very least, make more weapons instantly more viable.

there might be some hidden flaws obviously - dependent on if weapon damage is still done on a hidden dice roll as was speculated years ago, changes to AOE might also be a problem. As there is no requirement for AOE cursor to be on target it might have issues calculating off target damage. The flame thrower line may also need to be adjusted, and gatlin cannons/etc too. But its worth considering.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

great idea actually, i 2nd that
    away with reticules, people that are not harcore pvp might actually enjoy pvp again because they get to hit something xD
    It would also fix fights going on for so long that either party looses interest (not kidding)