Red face New player - have no idea what I'm doing but I like it!

New player here! I've been keeping tabs on Neocron for a while so I already knew that the population was dwindling but I figured I'd give things a go seeing as there's a drought of cyberpunk games these days!

Where the heck do I begin? I've tried toying around with a few classes - I love the lack of ammo required by the psi-monk but the fashion choices make me feel like I'm running around in a bathrobe.
    I was gonna go private eye/infiltrator but again I'm not sure I can tolerate the chronic consumption of ammunition! lol! Yes I'm fickle >.<

Any advice from old-school vets I can get?

Welcome to Neocron

Most classes, including the PSI Monk, will come to rely on consumables of some kind, and to keep your inventory topped up I definitely recommend finding yourself a recycling tool. With this you'll be able to use all sorts of stuff you find lying around and on the remains of your enemies to make handy new stuff!

The Wiki at the Tech Haven Network has a great guide: https://wiki.techhaven.org/Recycle

Have fun!
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Ah okay! Will acquire that recycling tool asap!
    Sounds pretty useful if I can convert the random assortment of 'entrails' and 'limbs' I find on these bugs I've been killing into items *chuckle*

And ty for the guide, I have been reading certain parts from there but it's not quite clear - I'll work through each page.

One question - is the appearance our characters have (I'm quite fickle :P) how we will always look? or are there armor sets which will change our appearance as I progress through the game?
    [EDIT]

Ah I answered my own question lol! Apologies, I'll stick to reading that guide you gave me! Thanks Trivaldi!
    Last edited by BingeRabbit; 28-02-18 at 20:34. Reason: Answered my own question

There are not exactly many outfit options in Neocron as far visual look goes. The most major thing is being able to equip Power Armor of your class later on, thus essentially looking like in Fallout/robot. Here list of all relevant armors/weapons ingame https://db.techhaven.org/en/

As far classes, consider melee tank: it is very easy to play in beginng of the game and does not require ammo. Switch to 3rd person look and whak mobs with light saber like in action rpg.

Also try some specifics of Neocron game that are not present in others -Hacking and Droners. Hacking is not very exciting compared to normal pve, but one should at least try creating hacker character and fighting in hacknet once as it is one of unique aspects of the game. The other is remote controlled drones, which are pretty fun too.

As far starting a new character and skilling up, recommend two kinds of weapons mainly: AOE and DPS. As heavy weapon user you have greanade launcher and as pistol user rocket pistol - both are great for clearing up low level dungeons with a lots of mobs. As far killing single mobs fastest, gatling pistol/rifle/cannon are superb (when you have sufficient skil and mods to be able to aim fast). It a lot more satisfying unloading full clip in 1 second rather than shooting at mob for 10. Ammo you can make from loot with recycling.

Not quite an option in begining but fun later on is combat vechicles - most require multiple people to operate, but you can switch places between driver/gunner seat to pve outside in the desert (as long you fit requirement of vechicle weapon). Flying vechicles are buggy, but one of the other things one "must try" in neocron.
    Last edited by Sidhardha; 28-02-18 at 22:18.

Quote Originally Posted by BingeRabbit View Post
    Ah okay! Will acquire that recycling tool asap!
    Sounds pretty useful if I can convert the random assortment of 'entrails' and 'limbs' I find on these bugs I've been killing into items *chuckle*

And ty for the guide, I have been reading certain parts from there but it's not quite clear - I'll work through each page.

One question - is the appearance our characters have (I'm quite fickle :P) how we will always look? or are there armor sets which will change our appearance as I progress through the game?
    [EDIT]

Ah I answered my own question lol! Apologies, I'll stick to reading that guide you gave me! Thanks Trivaldi!
    Sadly appearance is stuck until you get Power Armor. You can make simple changes to basic char clothes in Outfitter Station for free. Maybe we will have some costumes in the future.