This primarily happens with Spells and Weapons causing the electric effect and I think i know why, I've been observing it for over a year now. The primary culprits i've seen are Psi Attack(And Holy Psi Attack), and Crahn blah blah blah Multi-Lightning.

I wish i had the recordings still but as far as i can tell the crashes, hard crashes tend to be happening in areas with a lot of Overlapping Alpha Textures, Regant's Legacy Grating, Trees in teh Wastelands, Fencing, ect. It seems to have gotten better than when i first noticed it in 2016 where Multi-lightning would almost certainly crash you and anyone else that rendered it, leading to some people crashing other people with it. I think Zoltan may have been investigating that from what i hear. Did something change that could be causing this when the renderer was changed from DirectX 7 to DirectX 9?

It's been happening to me an awful lot when OP fighting lately. I've also noticed severe performance impacts from AoE when lots of Particles are being rendered with damage numbers displaying which I'd assume would also be related to how alpha masking/blending is being handled. These problems did not used to happen to me,

My hardware setup is as follows:

Core i7 990X
24GB DDR3 RAM
Geforce GTX 970 4GB
A lot of hard drives.

I'll start recording more to hopefully capture the event happening and hopefully capture and error log. I'd chock it up to me being on Linux if it hadn't been happening on my Windows machine too. I'm more than willing to sit with NST and tst this