The problem

Map in the game is useless feature. Not accurate, without any meaningful markers. In city we have NavRay that guide us by hand to the point of interest, but outside we only have small map with smeared up texture. Dungeons dont have any map at all. While that increase joy of exploration a bit, confuses the hell out of me when I need to get out. Even starter sewers can be confusing as fk and that is not good for new players.

What can be done
Existing maps need to be redrawed and simply be bigger. Best example for simplicity and functionality I can find is in Deus Ex.

City need to have multiple maps for each floors, that change according on player altitude. Entrances to locations are marked as well as gravilifts. It would be great if it would have shops marked as well.
Dungeon maps dont need to be extremely complex. Just simple outline, with marked entrance, doors and major obstacles.

As for outside (sector maps), I think Skyforge style satellite-like maps would be great, with location names written on them.

Would it be beneficial for game?
I think yes. As I said earlier, in city there is NavRay that guide us to places, but dungeons dont have maps at all. Some dungeons have the same layout copied next to each other with corridors (like storage in outzone or el farid). New players tend to get lost and often get poitlessly killed or annoyed because they could not find exit. Sure, NavRay can show arrow to the exit, but when you have a clear map how big location is, you can at least estimate how far you can delve into. Same thing is with wasteland map - you can say from word map that some location is there (like point red) but you only see meaningless green dot when you actually are in the zone.

How much work does it need?
I don't know how much different areas are in the game. Some layouts are the same, reducing overall work to be done. Single area shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to redraw, when scale and reference images are provided. If dev tool map app works in the way I think it is, overhead screenshot would great help, for detailing we can use drones on Vedeena.