Default Community discussion - improvements for new players

Tonight, we held a brain storming session on Discord regarding the difficulties that new players have upon joining the game (and some other things that will go in other posts).

Overview:

The main agreement appears to be the current grinding, and lack of information available to new players. On top of this, the cost of equipment, and quality of missions.

Suggested resolutions (or notes) are listed below the issue, and are marked with a > at the start of the sentence.

Starting a new character

• Starting equipment
      New characters start with items which are not necessary to their 'class'.
      Starting weapons for Droners, PPU and Soldiers are currently underpowered. Soul Cluster doesn't always target mobs. Drones do 1 damage a hit, and must be point blank to hit. Soldiers have 2 lots of grenades, which go all over the place, and currently do more damage to the player than a scorpion in the starting area.

> Reworking starting equipment to ensure a more balanced introduction. Provide all characters only with relevant and useful items.

> Rework damage for starting equipment to balance it out better, or provide more ammo for indirect fire weapons, which will use more ammo.
    • Starting Skills
      Not all the 'classes' have skills which are useful to them.

> Rework the suggested starting skills, to prevent redundancies. Keep the option for more experiences players to adjust the suggested starting skills.
    • Highlight difficult classes
      Things like Hacker and PPU require more advanced understanding of the game.

> Rate classes from Easy (soldier/PE) to Hard (PPU, Hacker).
    • Some factions are more advanced than others
      TG, TH and CM are more difficult to begin in and could be isolating for new players.

> Mark them as Hard, or Advanced, so that players know what they can expect.

Lack of new player information

Although we currently have the /help channel to allow runners to ask questions - it would be helpful to proactively provide information to them.

• Citycom Tutorials - Adding a series of short reference tutorials to the Citycom would allow players to look up advice on things like buying equipment, where to level, how to do quests (etc.). If we could have an in-game browser, this would allow a Wiki added to the game, with all relevant material covered.
    • Video Tutorials - A series of short tutorials, hosted through YouTube, and which can be played within the game would be a brilliant source of information for players. If an in-game browser was added, this could also provide a platform for imbedding the videos.

MC5 Area

• Quests - Currently the signposts to the first of the newbie quests is not obvious enough.

> Have it so that characters start with the quest to speak with the first NPC, so that he appears on their Nav when they first leave the Cryo Facility.
    • Equipment Costs - Items within the newbie area are too expensive.

> The research mission asks you to purchase items which can cost thousands of credits.

> I found last time that the requested weapon was 5.5K - this mean grinding mobs to buy the weapon, then grinding more to afford the GR to my apartment.

> The GR shouldn't charge to take players to their first apartment to avoid players getting 'stuck' in MC5 and having to grind.
    • Equipment Relevance - There are items on the first vendors which just aren't relevant, such as ammo for WoC weapons.

> Create a new list of newbie specific item groups, with subsidised pricing, to ease players into the game.

I started a PPU and knew to put points into Rifle so I could actually kill things, since Soul Cluster is broken - how many newbies would think they'd have to do that right off the bat?
    • Healing, armour, recycling - levelling is basically horrible until you get these three things.

> Players should be provided a full set of armour, a TL3 heal or equivalent and a recycling tool, plus the skills required to use them, by the time they leave MC5. This will allow them to focus their funds and effort on levelling, rather than hunting these items - IF they even know about them and their benefit in the first place.

Levelling
    • Grind (levelling) - Other than MC5 missions and EPICs, there is not much more than grinding in the way of levelling up a character.

> Introduce a series of mini-quests, which can be started in popular areas such as Plaza 1. These are arranged similarly to EPICs, in that they will require players to complete several tasks around the city, and grant decent items (allow players to choose from a list to cater for unusual setups) and large XP rewards for their completion. Either mark the missions on the map, or have the NPC contact the player to let them know where they can find the content.

> Up the XP gain. The main aim of the game is PVP. It was speculated that the grind should be shortened to allow players to begin end-game content quicker.
    • Cash - if XP is raised, it could mean that players are unable to afford new items to keep up with the pace of their levelling.

> Credits are mostly irrelevant towards end-game, with most items now bartered with tech parts. Up the credits reward for all missions, except research, to allow players to have a cash flow that will balance with their levelling rate.
    • Too many players relying on a limited number of spots to level us. Let's face it - drone/grenade launcher + El Farid = levelling. Sure, some players don't, but the overwhelming majority do. And it makes the ones that do it without an LE a very easy target.

> There's a lot of unused space out in the wastes that could accommodate levelling areas. The main thing that makes EF so convenient is the fact that the Queen spawns Big Scorpions, that spawn little Scorpions in turn. This makes for quick spawn rates, quick XP, and quick money - all in a limited sized area. Introduce more areas with this general mechanic perhaps? Providing more areas will allow players the opportunity to scout out their own favourites.
    • Levelling spot ganking. Log out in the levelling zone. Kill anyone without an LE. Log out in the zone to avoid repercussions. Too easy. Soul Light too low? Just idle somewhere until it regenerates.

> Introduce an elevated loss of soul light for ganking in levelling areas. Currently, having high Soul Light incurs a lower penalty for killing than having a low Soul Light, so players bag a couple of kills and idle in Plaza till they have high Soul Light and don't drop items in their belt as easily/their belt is harder to hack if they're caught. Make it a BIG penalty for killing in a levelling spot, and the occurrence will drop, as players are more worried about dropping their stuff.

LE and PVP
    • LEs are counter-productive for the game. This is a PVP game, and there's not a big enough incentive to remove an LE.

> Player XP should cap at around /45. This will allow a player to complete their Epic missions before getting into the main content. Once they get to /45, the XP should cap, and they cannot carry on gaining until they remove their LE.

> Alternatively, LEs should not work outside of the city. There are sufficient levelling areas to avoid contact with other players in the wastelands. Quoting: "If you are a trader and want to sit in an outpost to get the bonus you shouldn’t be unkillable". It IS a Warzone, after all.
    • Dropping items in belts. Currently, if a low-level player removes their LE and is PKed, they can potentially lose an item that is integral to their development. Conversely, the chances that this item is worth taking for the PKer is low. With this in mind, you have a situation where the PKed player could potentially just be demoralised to the point of quitting, for the sake of the PKer gaining a few thousand credits at Yo’s.

> Players under /45 don't drop items in belts. By /45 they should have had time to learn the game, and stand a better chance of escaping an attack.
    • Benefits of a clan are not explained. Clans are, for the most part, very important in NC. They provide protection, and a way to crowdsource resources. Any item lost in a dropped belt is likely easily replaced if in a clan, meaning losses are minimal.

> More advertising of the benefits of clans, and how they outweigh getting PKed is required. In-game posters could be a nice way of doing this, as well as an article in the above-mentioned tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    LE and PVP
    [*] LEs are counter-productive for the game.
    Here we go again.
    What is wrong with you?
    Just leave LE players alone already.
    Dont try to force people to play the game YOU want them to play it!
    It is their choice so let them.
    LE players dont pose a threat nor do they influence the gameplay of a non LE player.

This is a PVP game, and there's not a big enough incentive to remove an LE.
    NC isnt just a PVP game. Its what you make out of it. It "can" be a PVP game, it can be a trading game or a RP game or whatever you want it to be.
    > Player XP should cap at around /45. This will allow a player to complete their Epic missions before getting into the main content. Once they get to /45, the XP should cap, and they cannot carry on gaining until they remove their LE.
    This is just a terrible idea.
    You are just trying to force people to remove their LE so you can impose your playstyle upon them.

Alternatively, LEs should not work outside of the city.
    Why?

"If you are a trader and want to sit in an outpost to get the bonus you shouldn’t be unkillable". It IS a Warzone, after all.
    Again,why?
    So you can agonize and kill traders who wont stand a chance since they are set up for trading?
    Whats the point? You are just looking for excuses to gank players.
    All nice and covered up in a "suggestion" list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemonwolf View Post
    Again,why?
    So you can agonize and kill traders who wont stand a chance since they are set up for trading?
    Whats the point? You are just looking for excuses to gank players.
    All nice and covered up in a "suggestion" list.
    Ok why they should be killable in an Outpost?
    Because if they use the bonus, you have your what is wrong with LE , they may contribute nothing to the clans that fought for the Outpost, the traders in the Clan do something for the Clan and they are killable.
    With the Bonus of the Outpost its possible to research TL150 Missions without failing and then you have a Safe Cash Printing Machine ingame -> Economy gets broken more and more

And what is kinda sad that you only comment on the LE part of the List
    Last edited by Chazz; 24-03-17 at 02:17.

Lemonwolf - I'm just providing the notes from the community discussion. They're not my ideas, but ideas from a cross-reference of players.

Quick thought as I started to read through, please enable all the chat channels by default. Having them disabled must make the game awfully lonely!

I rarely remove my LE whilst leveling, because i dont like being PKed at Cyclop Launchers just because i need to take a phone call or make a drink.
    But i like the idea of being forced to remove it to continue progressing.
    For non Pvpers , the only incentive to remove your LE is for that 4th implant slot and slightly faster leveling(?). But at low levels, it just doesnt justify the potential possibility of being PKed.
    Without the incentives provided on the list, people probably wont drop the LE.
    Ive never been in a clan. Like the list suggests, i have no idea about clans, how they work or what the point is. Good idea

Having the LE not function outside NC is a good idea, and would make a lot of sense, as it is a CA product(I think), but it would be kind of pointless even having an LE after lvl 20ish, which is normally when people make their voyage to MB. The majority of a players time will be outside NC leveling. And the little time they are inside Nc will more than likely be at Plaza1 asking for pokes and shittalking people that killed them. The 5% of the time they are in NC and not at Plaza1 will be at HQs,HEWs and smugglers. Majority of which have copbots or guards. Might as well remove LE from the game if that happens.
    Last edited by ChrisTehClue; 12-04-17 at 21:57.

Great number of nice ideas in the OP. But why are you raising that LE discussion again? PvP is a part of NC, but not everything. If players just don't want to PvP, that's fine. By removing the LE you will remove a good share of NCs playerbase. Which had been tried and tested in the past on a dedicated PvP server which died because of the lack of non-PvP-players, traders, social gamers. We could easily give it another try and set up 2 different servers, with and without the LE. Which would be wasted time and effort as we already know what'd be going to happen. Maybe we want to keep gathering ideas instead.

I agree with Torg 100%.

as for teaching new players, I had a real life friend try the game a few weeks ago for the first time ever. He really enjoyed it, ONCE I showed him what to do. He said he had no clue what was going on prior.

The Jones missions should probably give you a little more insight to what your actual job is in the game. Also the tutorial is dated, and actually a horrible way of showing the players around the game. The character in the tutorial just has points in everything and can do everything. Newer players seeing this might (as my friend did) try to make a cst, hc, pistol, apu PE, because that is what they are being showed..
    Last edited by Arzon; 13-04-17 at 14:49.

At no point do the original suggestions state that the LE should be removed from the game - and contains points in there to protect players who choose to remove their LEs early, such as them not dropping belts until they're getting to the point where they should understand the game's basics.

It's a shame that you weren't present for the initial discussion on Discord - as all present (which amounted to half the present playing base) were unanimously in favour of the concept of rewarding players for taking their LEs out and joining clans. This was not about forcing players into combat to PK them... but rather to get players into clans, so they meet like-minded people who will support them and help them to develop.

Things to help new players:

Make all the Yo's outside of the city buy junk. Players need money to buy more ammo, pay for GR activations, ect. Which they can't get in the wilderness(and if someone's going to actually pay you for monster intestines, it's going to be the lone guy sitting in the shack in the middle of nowhere, not the guy in a store between the antigravity elevator and the hover cab in a megametropolise)

Make vehicles despawnable anywhere from the vehicle depo, not just the vehicles in that zone(or fix the kicked of you vehicle during zone sync bug)

I know locking GR is important to keep folks from just Zerging outposts, but i makes it really hard to do anything if you're leveling. But if you die, and try to head back to that GR you just tagged, then surprisingly pop back to your apartment. It's a pain in the ass. Also I hope you didn't drive to the spot where you died, cause your expensive vehicle is possibly on the other side of the map, just hanging out hoping some bored asshole doesn't blow it up. And give the player some indication that they can't use the GR right now.
    Lose the Gen Rep SI. SI is really important, also to keep folks from zerging outposts, but what it means to me pre outpost fighting character, is "well looks like I need to walk away from this game for 5 mins" and that's the worst thing you can in game development. A death penalty is important, but you shouldn't have to pay that penalty every time you want to go somewhere and spend less that half an hour getting there(and possibly lose your vehicle do to sync issues).

Walking somewhere in the wilderness and falling to your death on a random hill, not a cliff but a hill.

Have store sell items that aren't total shit. What store does that, how long would they be in business. I know you're trying this. But it NEEDs to be all weapons, not just drones and psi. Have them at 75%. Good enough to use on mobs, but with lots of room for crafters to improve for Min/Maxers and PvPers.

PvP is a great part of this game and is the reason it's lasted 15 years(which is a hell of an accomplishment). But what you can't do at /20. or /30, or /45 is PVP against someone who's /100 .
    I remember my first run to Military Base from Neocron, half way there, someone in PA and a vehicle I couldn't even think of buying zipped by turned around, hopped out of their vehicle and killed me in two shots. When I asked them why, they just answered with "Red is dead."
    As an adult I don't generally have 3 hours to run across the board. With a player base of 50ish, there's not always someone on who can help you with things. And if I die (as a new non-neocrack addicted player) do to a zone sync, slippery hill, to provide 3 second of entertainment to overmatched player, basically any reason that's out of my control. I'm going to be pissed. And if I then get transported back to my apartment negating all that time I spent running and spending money on GRs, I'm going to get more pissed, and play one of the thousand other game at my disposal.

I've been trying to level back my old Neo1&2 characters, so I've got a lot of comments about the new player experience, but it's really late, and that last bit got more "ranty" that I wanted. So more sleep should happen before more comments happen
    I can't belive that they pay me to do what I do.

A game manual in Citycom could be very handy. I know a lot of you dont like carebears but times are changed and players are too much used to be guided by hand. If the player will meet something that he dont understand, he will assume that game is overly complicated and leave. New runner that leave MC5 should have knowledge about all the basic stuff - how to trade, recycle, aquire stuff, what stats are for and so on. Ideally would be series of dialogues and mission per profession and class selected.

The entire new player experience needs to take place in Neocron, where the game feels alive.

Spawning into MC5 makes the new player experience feel horribly deadening.

Spawn everyone into the crappy Outzone or Pepper Park Apartments (except the advanced factions like CM, FA, TG) and direct them to Plaza 1.

Have the tutorial guide them to kill the bugs in the sewers. Teach them the basics about recycling, ammo types, weapon types, etc as they kill stuff and are near vendors that they can almost immediately run to and interact with.

Voila. I've given you a far better newbie experience.
    The Melee Pusher

Patiently waiting when I can use a Greatsaber in the wastes of Neocron

Give drones more color, so you can tell which ones you can use and which ones you can't.
    Currently the drones you can't use are black and red, and the drones you can use are black, and a slightly brighter red.
    While a non useable fusion cannon is black and red, while a usable fusion cannon is black, white, and yellow.

While having different items in different stores, ie having some HEWs carry one type of pistol, and another HEW carry a different selection of pistols is more realistic. But having to go to the HEW in TechHaven, second level, halfway down hallway B, to get that TL30 pistol you need, is a pain in the ass. And how is a new player supposed to find out which item is squirreled away in which specialty shop.

The leveling spots that were taken out of Neocron when DoY was opened to anti-city factions. Put those back in so there's more areas to level up. So there's more than one place to do your quests(aggressors). Give some idea where to find the quest objectives(Ie the KILL Quests). Put more of those quest mobs into the dungeons so you can do the mission with out having to wait for a dungeon respawn. The KILL 5 Cantankerous Plants quest, two plants spawn in the lvl one dungeon, they rotate through the three types of plants, so you have to kill 15 plants to get you mission finished. Kill 5 Mutant warriors, Mutant warriors spawn at the end of one basement in Neocron.
    Last edited by aelfkins; 21-05-17 at 17:28.

Give the mission selection more search options.
    After you pick the faction for the mission, then pick the type of mission(Construction, Research, Recycle, Kill, Deliver), then the difficulty.
    I had to page thru six pages of missions to find the a Res mission, then another six to find one of the same TL as my previous mission. If I hadn't already know that this was a common thing, I would have figured that, that specific type of mission was not available.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCooper View Post
    Quick thought as I started to read through, please enable all the chat channels by default. Having them disabled must make the game awfully lonely!
    So much of this, I remember when I first started and didn't have a clue about all these hidden channels!

Hi btw, just checking in - Lacking new stuff to play at the moment so considering a return to the old days

Quote Originally Posted by Danae View Post
    [00:07:39] the other guys are the tech wizards, i just find things :P i'm like google with boobs!
    Sig stolen from nEo-1664 + Danae I guess

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast