Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New launcher feedback and bugs thread.

Please use this thread to feedback and report any bugs on the experimental Neocron launcher

The new launcher is experimental and should be considered a alpha/beta release. The code that handles the downloading/updating of the client is very stable and has been used extensively internally by the NST for years.

The parts that are still a work in progress is the launcher UI - so we welcome any constructive feedback in this thread. The NST is able to frequently update the launcher and is independent of any patch releases to the actual test server.

Screenshot of the current layout:

Updates:

04/03
    - Main Layout Grid re-arrangements
    - added more button states
    - added scaleable buttons
    - overhauled some layout graphics
    - added some tooltips
    - added modal dialogs for NCAPS and Client selection

Known issues:
    - Sidebar Client colors are not right
    - Add client button does not trigger the selection popup
    - Client language dropdown has wrong styles
    - News item layout is not final
    - Context menu fόr client options only appear on right click on the icon
    Last edited by Xortag; 05-03-17 at 19:45. Reason: Changeset
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Launcher seems to be fine so far, but noticed I log in after but it will simply go back to the login without any error as to why it won't go in.

The only things I will note... when selecting a server (bottom left dropdown next to "+" does not show the server selected. But does seem to update fine after selecting the server type and selecting it's folder.

Edit : Also seems that the launcher executable has vanished after launching... which is strange.

1. Launcher doesn't create subdirectory at target path
    2. Side Scrolling News Feeds are cancer and have to go
    3. Feed is not up to day
    4. Select Drop Down is one third the length necessary for the text inside
    5. Drop down doesn't show which server I'm targeting because it's the same colour as the background (I have to click INSIDE to see where I'm going to connect)
    6. Version and Language fields are badly positioned and mean nothing to me

It's just to fancy.

Just orient yourself on the old launcher please... In terms of usability and information overview a recticle with 3 button at the top and the newsfeed underneath is unbeatable.

Personally liked the new launcher. It's responsive, and it's quicker.

I'd say anyone having issues so far, it's been due to their own misunderstanding. Installing files into their existing NC folder seems to be the main cause so far.

It would be nice to have the port information more easily configurable for dual-logging.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    It would be nice to have the port information more easily configurable for dual-logging.
    This is already implemented since patch #186. If you leave the "Use local port" unticked, Neocron picks a random port when it starts to allow dual-logging.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    This is already implemented since patch #186. If you leave the "Use local port" unticked, Neocron picks a random port when it starts to allow dual-logging.
    Same error, full with missing libs.

Here's what I suggest you do:

1. You get a Win 7 VM
    2. You try to install the Testsever with the new launcher
    3. You try to connect to the Testserver
    4. You create fixes for any errors you find
    5. You create a new package which contains a working client to the testserver
    6. You come back and inform us that the process to get on veedeena is not a broken mess
    7. ???
    8. profit

Edit: Wrong thread, belongs into the Veedeena thread

Still though. Asking for testing while the connection mechanic is broken is kinda

I thought I'd pop my own opinion on in one place, rather than all three places you've copy/pasted this

Quote Originally Posted by Odimara Orca View Post
    1. Launcher doesn't create subdirectory at target path
    I don't believe it ever claimed to. Easy enough to rectify by naming the sub directory you want it to create. Installation paths are always going to be something that at least one person doesn't agree with - but you have the option to name your own path, so utilise it.

Agree

3. Feed is not up to day
    That's not an issue with the launcher - neither launcher is updated frequently enough.

Can't say that I noticed an issue with this.

5. Drop down doesn't show which server I'm targeting because it's the same colour as the background (I have to click INSIDE to see where I'm going to connect)
    Both options on the drop down were obviously enough for me to distinguish them

Where would you prefer to see them? I think the choice between German, French and English are pretty obvious. It mirrors the original 3 servers - and English is the agreed internation language. It might be better if it was just labelled English, but it's not confusing enough to claim that they don't make sense.

It's just to fancy.
    It's a heck of an improvement on the old launcher. But again, what would you prefer to see? Please don't say 'the old launcher' as you have that option anyway, and the old launcher is garbage.

Do you have any experiences with designing GUI's?

Creating a subdirectory at chosen target is the norm since 20 years.

From a usability perspective all of these points are valid and not contestable.

There is a reason simple colour schemes are encouraged across the board, tell me how a colourblind person would navigate this mess?

Everything considered the old launcher is everything but garbage.

That is if "configure Hardware" was working properly.

That is if "configure Hardware" was working properly.
    It does since last patch.
    Farril
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N . C O M

»Dum spiro spero«

Do you have any experiences with designing GUI's?
    Yup

Wasn't attempting to contest your opinions - I was interested to hear more about your proposals for change. That gives devs more of a constructive basis for considering change.

There is a reason simple colour schemes are encouraged across the board, tell me how a colourblind person would navigate this mess?
    Yup - I've already raised colour-blindness in my list of general accessibility suggestions previously.

Creating a subdirectory at chosen target is the norm since 20 years.
    This was bugging me. A change has been to put in to create a directory for the selected installation type.

Can users who have not used the installer tell me the path where you have installed the launcher to, I may need to do a bit more work on the default directory.

All points are contestable. This is why we have a discussion forum. /word /mod
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team

Placeholder and not existent in the final version

3. Feed is not up to day
    It will be as actual as news are provided

See 2

You don't target a server there, you target a client/game which goes along to 6.

The right part are informations for the selected client/game and would update properly; the language field wasn't meant to be the client setting and will change to the server language

At a first start you will be promted to select a client and for further clients the dropdown and plus button will become a "Add" button that triggers a small dialog.

The UI wasn't merged for a while, so consider most things done/fixed/changed

Quote Originally Posted by Xortag View Post
    Placeholder and not existent in the final version

It will be as actual as news are provided

See 2

You don't target a server there, you target a client/game which goes along to 6.

The right part are informations for the selected client/game and would update properly; the language field wasn't meant to be the client setting and will change to the server language

At a first start you will be promted to select a client and for further clients the dropdown and plus button will become a "Add" button that triggers a small dialog.

The UI wasn't merged for a while, so consider most things done/fixed/changed
    Okey so whens the merge coming?

Hi chaps

I tried to get onto PTS tonight via the old launcher and the new.

The old launcher installs the patches, then will not start at all.

The new launcher would not start initially. It also would not remove clients from the list, or perform an install.

So I removed the files and restarted, then tried the launcher again. It took a while, but allowed me to remove the client files.

When I click on ADD CLIENT - nothing happens. All I get is a swirling circle in the bottom, next to the Add Client button.