Default Rethinking the chat system

Hello

One of the biggest painpoints for new players and a pretty counterintuitive system atm is the current chat system.

Would it be possible to integrate the channel option as a kind of drop down menu into the existing chat window (Clapping up instead of down, WoW for example (Yeah, yeah I know >_>) had for quite a while a little button in the chat, which you could press and then choose to activate / deactivate the different channels.

Also personally I am a huge fan of the system, where you can enable the different channels permanently (not just for a single message) if you just write /team or /local for example, way more intuitive for multiple messages and channel switching than clicking.

Also is Help enabled by default for new players? Just finding out how to change channels might be a huge challenge if you are not used to the UI.

Are these Ideas even doable?

Would it be possiple to map the channel switch to short commands (/Team /Help /TradeNC /TradeMB etc.) or does it already exist and I just don't know about it (sadly google searchers tend to be inconclusive for such an old game).

Regards

Odi

Quote Originally Posted by Odimara Orca View Post
    Would it be possible to integrate the channel option as a kind of drop down menu into the existing chat window (Clapping up instead of down, WoW for example (Yeah, yeah I know >_>) had for quite a while a little button in the chat, which you could press and then choose to activate / deactivate the different channels.
    Not sure I understand this? F1 in the RPOS allows for toggling channels on and off.

Also personally I am a huge fan of the system, where you can enable the different channels permanently (not just for a single message) if you just write /team or /local for example, way more intuitive for multiple messages and channel switching than clicking.
    https://wiki.techhaven.org/Set_Commands

Does this meet that requirement?

Also is Help enabled by default for new players? Just finding out how to change channels might be a huge challenge if you are not used to the UI.
    We do need to do this.

Are these Ideas even doable?

Would it be possiple to map the channel switch to short commands (/Team /Help /TradeNC /TradeMB etc.) or does it already exist and I just don't know about it (sadly google searchers tend to be inconclusive for such an old game).
    A couple others are ALT+C to flip through main channels and ALT+B to respond to the most recent DM (they don't even have to be in your DM channel).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»I'm in a glass case of emotion!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Trivaldi View Post
    Not sure I understand this? F1 in the RPOS allows for toggling channels on and off.

https://wiki.techhaven.org/Set_Commands

Does this meet that requirement?

We do need to do this.

A couple others are ALT+C to flip through main channels and ALT+B to respond to the most recent DM (they don't even have to be in your DM channel).

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
    Sadly the current commands only allow you to send one message. In WoW you could just type /g or /s and the state would actually switch to the channel. As far as I know in NC you'd always need to write /l or /t before a message. I'm really not a fan of changing or activating channels through a menu which is not integrated into the chat. It is very counterintuitive.

Oooh the Alt + C one is huge Zoltan thanks!

It might be cool if the first things new players are informed about is the chat system? After all it feels way better if you know you are not alone. It would be a nice test. Get a new player, tell him to create a Char, activate help channel and write something in help channel. I think you'd see why it's counterintuitive. The Settings should be in the chat window itself not somewhere else. Also the ALT+C Option doesn't show up if you type for example /help right?

Thanks

Multiple Chat Windows would also be something nice.

Did you understand my elaboration in the last post and are these requests even doable, without months of workload, Trivaldi?

I have added the option to use /team /local /direct etc without any further text to switch to that mode.
    This will be tested internally first and eventually arrives on vedeena for public testing in one of the next patches.
    Farril
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N . C O M

»Dum spiro spero«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Farril View Post
    I have added the option to use /team /local /direct etc without any further text to switch to that mode.
    This will be tested internally first and eventually arrives on vedeena for public testing in one of the next patches.
    Will you have my babies? Thank you!