Thread: Transparency?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    I believe I mentioned earlier, than some of the issues were caused by some DNS misconfiguration, so changing the MTA would not have fixed all the issues. The NST uses Exchange a lot, so I can't exactly go and replace it overnight with another MTA.

I don't consider Exchange an obscure technology. I see it more of a challenge to re-apply my skills and knowledge to fix the the problem.
    You know as well as I do correctly configuring DNS takes all of 5 minutes

Try openchange its a protocol complete re-implementation of exchange. If you're looking for more of a "drop in" windows server ad/exchange/av/fileshares etc look at zentyal.

Gotta remember the overheads of exchange are immense which would free up a load of resource both compute and storage/ram for you to use else where. Barking up the windows tree is costing you serious time/money especially when you have better linux based skills available to you. Perhaps time to stop thinking like a big enterprise and start thinking like a 2/3 man band.

Just suggestions but I've just gone through exactly the same migrations with 2 of my clients both are 400+ members of staff and the cost savings have been insane let alone the administration time/costs on an ongoing basis. I'd much prefer you had solid ancillary services and so could spend more time working on the actual game code base I don't have loads of time available to me but could probably help out with a couple of hours a week if you need help with smaller bits to allow you to focus on the important stuff.

Lemme answer this in german:

"Hδ?"

I mean I don't get it... Changing stuff on a DNS is just a damn *rightlick* on the domain-node.
    The exchange is configured well, but in the meanwhile... wait.. in the absence of the admin who maintained that stuff * THE INTERNET * has changed, you know?

Changing stuff on a DNS will take some time,... days.. maybe weeks until all the stuff is replicated to other nameservers and caches.
    Apart from that we do have replaced our dns servers as well - the old one at 'SchlundTech' had stopped working which led to a inconsistent dataset in * THE INTERNET *. Needless to say that other mailservices will reject your stuff if something is screwed with the dns, so tell me... where the heck is the relation between exchange, big enterprise, 400+ members and our problem with the dns?
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

OK since you're being all defensive about simple suggestions and an offer to help you out with the simple admin work side of things.

1) Why are you using exchange as your mta costs (licenses) + administration time are insane so unless you're using unlicensed you're wasting resources.

2) The internet has NOT changed in the couple of years you've been doing this I have several mail servers running none of which including their DNS has been changed in over 5 years none are black or block listed and none ever have delivery problems ever... where did your issues arise from ? what "changed" on the internet to cause you issues.

3) Why the living hell are you running your own dns servers ? common issues with small companies running their own dns servers are that the primary dns servers don't scavenge them often enough. Allow me to give you an example. Register domain with say 123-reg (bad example only one I could think of off top of my head) use their NS servers + their web panel for creating domain records. You'll have 99% propagation in under an hour globally. Alter said A record (this is the bit that can take a max of 48 hours usually altering existing records rather than creating new). You'll have global propagation in under 6 hours usually.
    So I'll repeat again... why are you wasting time/resource running your own name servers.

4) Replacing dns servers again is a trivial job and if done properly you can deploy a fresh OS install + a dns server lets say bind in under an hour fully and correctly configured.

You're getting defensive and angsty over simple suggestions and offer to help but please do not assume anonymity is lack of knowledge. I've been doing all of what you're doing for a very very very long time I know what I'm talking about and broad statements without backup evidence or proof (as you're so fond of saying to others where they ask you to fix broken shit in the game) will not work to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm happy to discuss technical stuff with you to any detail you like if you doubt my knowledge you can pick my brains over system administration, network engineering, infrastructure design and coding (12+ languages you can pick from if you want).

What I'm trying to understand is why you are doing certain things in certain ways as to me a lot of what you're attempting is simply re-inventing the wheel and causing yourselves work for the sake of work, or as is commonly termed making a mountain out of a mole hill. You've repeatedly asked for volunteers and help and I don't have much time available to me but what little spare I have I was willing to donate to you with no expectation of anything in return.
    After your previous response though I'm beginning to reconsider as it reads (now I know English isn't your main language so it may just have come across badly) you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.

Quote Originally Posted by JustVisiting View Post
    OK since you're being all defensive about simple suggestions and an offer to help you out with the simple admin work side of things.
    Because there is no help needed.

1) Why are you using exchange as your mta costs (licenses) + administration time are insane so unless you're using unlicensed you're wasting resources.
    That's not right. We're just logging into exchange if we have to create a new mailbox. Example: If a new member joins.
    I have no clue what you're talking about... seriously. Pretty sure we've stated very often that the exchange ISN'T that problem

2) The internet has NOT changed in the couple of years you've been doing this I have several mail servers running none of which including their DNS has been changed in over 5 years none are black or block listed and none ever have delivery problems ever... where did your issues arise from ? what "changed" on the internet to cause you issues.
    No comment on this because it deserves no attention. You're right, there are no spambots, no botnets, no security risk, the internet is still the unicorn-rainbow-land we had back in the 90ths

3) Why the living hell are you running your own dns servers ? common issues with small companies running their own dns servers are that the primary dns servers don't scavenge them often enough. Allow me to give you an example. Register domain with say 123-reg (bad example only one I could think of off top of my head) use their NS servers + their web panel for creating domain records. You'll have 99% propagation in under an hour globally. Alter said A record (this is the bit that can take a max of 48 hours usually altering existing records rather than creating new). You'll have global propagation in under 6 hours usually.
    So I'll repeat again... why are you wasting time/resource running your own name servers.
    You better read and understand the need and concept of a DNS, ActiveDirectory and how a "hidden" primary is working and of course WHY you have to run it on a infrastructure such like neocron-game.com.

4) Replacing dns servers again is a trivial job and if done properly you can deploy a fresh OS install + a dns server lets say bind in under an hour fully and correctly configured.
    I am afraid to say: Nope, you still didn't got it.

You're getting defensive and angsty over simple suggestions and offer to help but please do not assume anonymity is lack of knowledge. I've been doing all of what you're doing for a very very very long time I know what I'm talking about and broad statements without backup evidence or proof (as you're so fond of saying to others where they ask you to fix broken shit in the game) will not work to pull the wool over my eyes. I'm happy to discuss technical stuff with you to any detail you like if you doubt my knowledge you can pick my brains over system administration, network engineering, infrastructure design and coding (12+ languages you can pick from if you want).

What I'm trying to understand is why you are doing certain things in certain ways as to me a lot of what you're attempting is simply re-inventing the wheel and causing yourselves work for the sake of work, or as is commonly termed making a mountain out of a mole hill. You've repeatedly asked for volunteers and help and I don't have much time available to me but what little spare I have I was willing to donate to you with no expectation of anything in return.
    After your previous response though I'm beginning to reconsider as it reads (now I know English isn't your main language so it may just have come across badly) you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.

Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials.

Z
    Zoltan
    Neocron Support Team

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

Quote Originally Posted by Nakomi43 View Post
    TeamCity is great, we are using that with Git for automated builds of our projects. Works great for building a devel branch for testing and a master branch for current.

The patch system that NC has is a disaster, would be great to see some type of streamlined patching system put into place to eliminate individual patches and be able to update from your installer straight to current with one update session instead of multiple.
    ^ This.

As new distribution system is already planned - the new "patchformat" implemented but the rest isn't done yet.
    An very early version of it is already in use for our internal testserver and tools.

The focus has changed in the meanwhile so we still stucked at the old patchsystem which is - you're right - ... a mess.

A CLI version is just a workaround with low risk and high value ROI. The team is able to push out updates to vedeena without waiting for me to just do it manually. Win for everyone, because creating patches by hand is just a PITA.

Z
    Zoltan
    Neocron Support Team

former king of saturn

Quote Originally Posted by JustVisiting
    you're basically saying "screw you i know what I'm doing you don't go away" which if that is your attitude I'm not surprised you don't have many volunteers and people who do say they'll help vanish randomly on you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials.

Z

that just happened

Well, I guess now ist obvious why they are so opaque about all their work... petty discussions on technicallities and every bum joins in because they know it better anyway. Merry times we have!
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

wow... i just wow... i don't even have an answer for such responses.

I'll just make it clear I never questioned your abilities however bifrost did make it clear that there was an ipv6 transport issue which believe it or not isn't a DNS issue. The only response I can give to your's is really just to say this and walk away.

"Yes please keep in mind we're a bunch of scriptkiddies with huge servers and just a knowledge of some youtube tutorials."

The only response I can give to your's is really just to say this and walk away.
    Wheren't you just visiting anyways?

yeah, i know, i feel terrible smug right now...
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Well, I guess now ist obvious why they are so opaque about all their work... petty discussions on technicallities and every bum joins in because they know it better anyway. Merry times we have!
    I am always open for new things. The infrastructure we have is now working well so far since 2012. Yes, sure we do had encountered problems like HDD crashs, DDOS attacks, problems with external services. We do have it, google, amazon, microsoft aswell will have it and I pretty sure other people will have those problem too from time to time.

I am aware about the people around here who are sceptical of everything Microsoft releases but this is just unworldy and I am pretty sure the most of them didn't made their opinion their own by using ms products on a productive system.

We do not have the 90s anymore where MS was the bad and evil monopolist
    Zoltan
    Neocron Support Team

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    ^ This.

As new distribution system is already planned - the new "patchformat" implemented but the rest isn't done yet.
    An very early version of it is already in use for our internal testserver and tools.

The focus has changed in the meanwhile so we still stucked at the old patchsystem which is - you're right - ... a mess.

A CLI version is just a workaround with low risk and high value ROI. The team is able to push out updates to vedeena without waiting for me to just do it manually. Win for everyone, because creating patches by hand is just a PITA.

Z

Understandable it will take awhile to implement. Neocron is a fragile creature originated in VS6 if I recall. The amount of work to bring it into the new age, and then force a new patching system down its throat without it throwing up all over you must be insane.

I tip my hat to you.

"You fixed the problem, thank you. I don't give a shit how you run your infrastructure."

- I'm Odimara Orca and i approve this message

wow... i just wow... i don't even have an answer for such responses.

I'll just make it clear I never questioned your abilities however bifrost did make it clear that there was an ipv6 transport issue which believe it or not isn't a DNS issue.
    Thats not fully true.
    They said that gmail wanted to communicate in IPv6. That does not point to a transport issue. It still could be possible they don't get a IPv4 Adress back when resolving DNS.
    You don't know. They did not mentioned why it wants to communicate in IPv6.

2. You are not helping either.
    Help means fixing a Problem in an existing System and not to say "change your system, it is bad."Just because you do not preffer it.

3. A good configuerd Exchange Server does not need a lot maintenance either.
    Our Company has exhange too and it runs and runs. No Problems there.
    You said it like a fact. But its "just" your opinion. Fact != Opinion.

And license costs? If they already own some licenses it costs 0$. So why not use it?

And before anyone says something.
    I have some Debian Servers running too, cause i like playing around on Linux systems too. So no MS fanboying.

@ Zoltan, just keep going. As you said. MS is not the bad monopolist

Best Regards.
    Jason

Let's not snipe each other gents, this is brainport. Community talk is the other end of the forum. However getting down to details of what is delaying things is a great insight for all of us. Even if people don't all understand the issues at heart it really helps to know that there are people who do.

Keep up the good work, it is appreciated by everyone.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

*Pokes head into thread. Sees a ton of computer/tech talk that looks like walls of mumbo jumbo.*

*Slowly backs out of thread.*
    The Melee Pusher

Patiently waiting when I can use a Greatsaber in the wastes of Neocron

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123