Thread: Transparency?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transparency?

So 3 threads popped up recently with lots of good discussion about the game but they all have a common theme when you boil away the arguments, criticism and the passion showed for the game.

Nobody actually knows the full story. Only one person actually apparently has any idea and everyone else seems to be unable to say "more than they should".

What is stopping complete transparency on this whole project? What is the problem with being 100% honest about the state of the game?

There is no commercial reason, there are no subscribers or shareholders, there is no market to compete with. There is no need for secrecy but yet it continues. It encourages speculation and negativity, neither of which are good for the project as a whole.

Why is that?
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

unclarity around ownership and legal accountability combined with a reluctance to address either as it might endanger the status quo.
    ... of course, that is just an uneducated guess.
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

That's exactly the problem, it leads to speculation and negativity. It's akin to burying your head in the sand and doesn't exactly lend itself to inspiration.

Loads of people want to help but how can they when they don't know how and why is information withheld, it serves no purpose.

It just seems so futile when some decent discussion and optimism has sprung up recently.

honestly... i think the nst just wants to keep to themselves and not have any form of criticisms towards their free time involvement. every other sentence that's being written as either an indirect or direct critique starts with: we are so grateful that you spend your valuable time on this project but...

it really makes the situation worse. why should i be grateful for something i don't care about... and if all the nst is doing is purely on a voluntary basis, why does triv still talk to us as if he was pr? why would he apologize constantly for stuff he has obviously no control over?

i'm starting to think that all this is for naught... we know a little more what is going on behind the scenes but we have no idea how this all will turn out. a lot of people obviously still care about the game but i can't see a future where i want to play it again. i will certainly come back to the forums every odd month or so... like the last few years... and check for some progress.

Quote Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
    honestly... i think the nst just wants to keep to themselves and not have any form of criticisms towards their free time involvement. every other sentence that's being written as either an indirect or direct critique starts with: we are so grateful that you spend your valuable time on this project but...

Let's be fair it is a big undertaking to run an mmo with a near skeleton crew, so we do have to give some credit. It is also the undoing of this game. The team simply can't do enough, there is no monetary incentive and we don't know what the long term goal of this is. Get more people to play?

And then...???
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Thumbs up

I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member Anyway.

The main goal is to keep Neocron running as long as possible and while we're trying to keep things up we do some random work in the meanwhile.

It may not sound that promising in the firts place but do not underestaminate 'random work'.

I am honest: I didn't spent much time in the last months because of some heavy workload in RL so there is no huge progress in the remaining 5-10% (= I need to do until the client/server is ready to work with the balancing changes) but at least I am not the entire team.
    I hate to repeat myself that's why I don't write about the things I did since the last post... because there is nothing new so far.

Things I did so far:

• I/O improvement on the server side - some of the 'readonly' stuff is now cached in RAM
    • Finetunings in the tool I called "Balancing playground" - It contains all the new playerskill calculations which influences the weapon damage, handling and aim - for example: Tank - STR, DEX, WEP, HC, TC, etc..
    • Changes in the DEFs and code: weapons do have a 'family' now. For example: baseball bat and peacemaker are part of the same family
    • A new proxy software which is still work in progress
    • A new tool to replace textures of actors without rebaking them - Because we didn't have all the source files - KK simply lost them
    • A rework of our internal 'Neocron Suite'
    • A tool which allows us to reorganize the existing weapons -> Weapon Families
    • Some bugsfixes in our definition-database service (to handle DEFs - read+write)
    • Some refactorings in the code to align with our guidelines

Our content and assets team are working on several things like new missions and graphical changes etc. - It's just awesome but I don't wanna spoil something yet, It's there job Wait I do repeat myself: IT'S AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by eNTi
    You're right. Every single team member is just a clone of Kim Jong Un.

Note to myself: Delete this user.
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

Come on Zoltan give him a break. He's just frustrated like so many others. I mean it's Saturday night and only 16 players are on.

Thanks for the update and if you could be so kind as to post this in the anouncement forum to get more coverage that would be cool.

Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon View Post
    Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?
    No idea. I guess soon(TM)

There is an another thing. We do not have an automatic build process for the PTS (Vedeena) yet once it become true the team is able to push out patch by their own.

I do need to do this currently by hand ;/

Z
    Zoltan
    Neocron Support Team

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

'Any idea as to when some of these awesome things will be implemented?'

They cant answer that. They will never be able to. Once the question is asked, they can only lose no matter what answer they give (including if the answer is in declining to answer).

Fixed date will be optimistic, and fall by the wayside. Broad date will upset people due to lack of specificity. No date will upset people due to the assumption that it means it isn't really being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Oath
    I'll fear when i find your naked Droner Body and violate it

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member Anyway.

The main goal is to keep Neocron running as long as possible and while we're trying to keep things up we do some random work in the meanwhile.

It may not sound that promising in the firts place but do not underestaminate 'random work'.

I am honest: I didn't spent much time in the last months because of some heavy workload in RL so there is no huge progress in the remaining 5-10% (= I need to do until the client/server is ready to work with the balancing changes) but at least I am not the entire team.
    I hate to repeat myself that's why I don't write about the things I did since the last post... because there is nothing new so far.

Things I did so far:

• I/O improvement on the server side - some of the 'readonly' stuff is now cached in RAM
    • Finetunings in the tool I called "Balancing playground" - It contains all the new playerskill calculations which influences the weapon damage, handling and aim - for example: Tank - STR, DEX, WEP, HC, TC, etc..
    • Changes in the DEFs and code: weapons do have a 'family' now. For example: baseball bat and peacemaker are part of the same family
    • A new tool to replace textures of actors without rebaking them - Because we didn't have all the source files - KK simply lost them
    • Some bugsfixes in our definition-database service (to handle DEFs - read+write)

Our content and assets team are working on several things like new missions and graphical changes etc. - It's just awesome but I don't wanna spoil something yet, It's there job Wait I do repeat myself: IT'S AWESOME

This is the sort of thing people want to see/read. Yes its infuriating not hearing much.

Please keep the updates coming even if its just to say ok today this bit got done. Any progress on anything no matter how small is still progress. People need to temper enthusiasms and understand that yes this does take time but honestly from reading this thread since the new posts appeared im glad to see something is progressing. A wall of silence demotivates.

Please for the love of god though harness the community in some way. we WANT to help. Figure out what we can physically do to help and let us do it.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

Things I did so far:

Give us a Post like that every 14 to 21 days and I'm happy.

Dont even need to put a time limit on it like the other guy said, but seriously more of this was what i envisioned in the thread.

Also while youre at it can you post some sort of framework of what you still require? Like you obviously know you have bottlenecks in production - tell us what they are and if there is someone here who can help then let them know what tools/programs/languages they need to be familiar with?

Someone might even fancy taking up a position and learning on the fly - you NEVER know unless you ask.

Bottom line is nobody here thinks this game is going to compete with WoW or any of the big EA titles - however EVERY single one of us who knows how good it used to be with 300-500 players online would like to go back to those kind of populations in a stable (even if it is dated) environment.

Things which improves our development

• Speed up build times and reduce I/O - Solved some seconds ago
    • Refactoring of the patcher / hash libs & developing a CLI app to make automated patch builds possible for the PTS - Assigned to Avalon
    • Create new weapon damage / handling / aim code in the 'Balancing Playground' - Done: Finished yesterday
    • Move the new weapon damage / handling / aim stuff to the client / server - The last 5-10% i have talked about recently - My part
    • Reorganize all weapon (-families) - Assigned to Aegir
    • Fix mailserver problems - In progress by Bifrost and Trivaldi
    Zoltan
    Neocron Support Team

Cool

I really need to count the usage of the word "legal" per post written by a special forum member

Don't waste your time, it applies to about 000.528355054596689% of a special forum member's posts, hardly impressive

… doesn't mean it aint true ^^
    until kirk pulls the finger (or the plug), I predict NC will remain on life support at best (and I shall, statistically speaking, repeat that sermon in 173 days).
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

Anything we can do outside of code monkeying? anything for the low tech crowd?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast