Default Returning questions

Hi guys, old player possibly returning here and there, some questions:

1. Does NC still work on XP? I remember reading in some patch notes that it was going to be discontinued. (I have a Win 8 laptop, but I really don't like using it unless I absolutely have to.)\
    2. Is it still basically impossible to level a ppu?
    3. Are monks still penalized for having points in both apu and ppu? For example I remember being under the impression that, a monk with 90 apu and 10 ppu, will actually artificially do less damage than a monk with 90 apu and 0 ppu. Can anyone verify that?
    4. Any cool news? About Neocron. I don't care about your kids

It's nice to still see activity/NC fans. It's those AESTHETICS man. That shit's important.

Quote Originally Posted by Izeo View Post
    Hi guys, old player possibly returning here and there, some questions:

1. Does NC still work on XP? I remember reading in some patch notes that it was going to be discontinued. (I have a Win 8 laptop, but I really don't like using it unless I absolutely have to.)\
    2. Is it still basically impossible to level a ppu?
    3. Are monks still penalized for having points in both apu and ppu? For example I remember being under the impression that, a monk with 90 apu and 10 ppu, will actually artificially do less damage than a monk with 90 apu and 0 ppu. Can anyone verify that?
    4. Any cool news? About Neocron. I don't care about your kids

It's nice to still see activity/NC fans. It's those AESTHETICS man. That shit's important.
    Great to see you back!

1. Yes, for now.
    2. Without a team you'll need to level with soul-clusters or trade skills...
    3. Yes, the malus exists on Titan due to the NC2.2 decision to prevent true hybrids. Feel free to discuss in the Brainport.
    4. We're still here, there's plenty of changes currently on our test server which fix underlying fundamental issues in the code. We have some pretty nasty final issues to solve before we can bring those to Titan. Also we're still here. Also the aesthetics are getting some love and if you check the artists sandbox thread, you can see some of the new shiny shiny.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Cool, thank you. I was asking about monks because my friend and I never really played monks and were thinking of finally trying, but it seems a little frustrating.

I'm a little bugged by the dropping XP decision -- I get that XP is old and unsupported now, but my point here is that there are games that have a very dated look but IMO look better than NC as-they-are-now with no graphical mods/packs, such as default Unreal Tournament, which run on XP. I understand that work is being done on NC graphically by you guys but I'd feel the game should be brought up graphically to some normalized standard before adding any new graphical VFX that require newer OS's. What I mean is there's a mix of high poly and low poly models, low-rez and hi-rez, models with dark-and-gritty textures and models with unnaturally bright textures, models with disappearing meshes etc. I feel like this stuff should be equalized to some standard before adding new filters and bloom and all that -- and I also feel the game might look amazing enough already with only those improvements (in other words I think it might not even need new vfx). Just my opinion though.

I'm a little bugged by the dropping XP decision -- I get that XP is old and unsupported now, but my point here is that there are games that have a very dated look but IMO look better than NC as-they-are-now with no graphical mods/packs, such as default Unreal Tournament, which run on XP.
    It's matter of programming libraries. If you could make some things faster/easier to modify later, price of dropping old OS that will get replaced by majority of people anytime soon is not that bad. Textures can be replaced easily (relative term, since NC rendering code is in Picasso style), while replacing underlying code require sacrifices sometimes.

That makes sense. I had assumed it was for visual enhancements not supported by XP or something

That makes sense. I had assumed it was for visual enhancements not supported by XP or something
    Nope. Also, don't use xp. Just don't. It's insanely insecure and it's slower than modern windows to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by onero S View Post
    Nope. Also, don't use xp. Just don't. It's insanely insecure and it's slower than modern windows to boot.
    Supposedly XP is super insecure (although I use quite a bit of security software) but supposedly newer Windows tracks everything you do. Can't win, I guess

Supposedly XP is super insecure (although I use quite a bit of security software) but supposedly newer Windows tracks everything you do. Can't win, I guess
    Security software won't help at all and you can disable all of the tracking in windows 10 (though honistly I think the drama is pretty overblown; the statistics Microsoft collects are quite benign): https://github.com/10se1ucgo/Disable...cking/releases

If you're really worried however, load ubuntu on a VM and use it (over https) to do all of your sensitive stuff on the web.

former king of saturn

I like this onero guy