Thread: Artists sandbox

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by unc0nnected View Post
    Are you guys keeping 4k source files handy and exporting down to 1024x1024? Hopefully so as that would allow you to re-use them later once the game either gets relaunched or some more magic is worked into the engine to allow full res textures. All you need is a PBR and you guys are set
    We don't even have realtime shadows, GI or AO
    But yes, we keep them handy.

Stuff in the pipe:

Full Res: http://www.neocron-game.com/Media/De...showcase18.jpg

Full Res: http://www.neocron-game.com/Media/De...showcase17.jpg

It has more vexes than original? Or its just bumpmap trick?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by AlvaroT View Post
    It has more verticies than original? Or its just bumpmap trick?
    It has more then all Plaza 1-3 assets together, but that is just for baking and texturing purposes. The new ingame version has around 2x more triangles.

Quote Originally Posted by Xortag View Post
    It has more then all Plaza 1-3 assets together, but that is just for baking and texturing purposes. The new ingame version has around 2x more triangles.
    Everything just looks hands down amazing.

I can't wait for it! :-)

When is it being released? and how does this work? do you just sort of "paste" this stuff into the game?
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    When is it being released? and how does this work? do you just sort of "paste" this stuff into the game?
    Theoretically we don't have to manually swap every instance of the old one, for the new one. If that's what you're asking? I believe there's still some work to be done to get this in-game but it's amazing to see such recognisable objects getting an upgrade.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Trivaldi View Post
    Theoretically we don't have to manually swap every instance of the old one, for the new one. If that's what you're asking? I believe there's still some work to be done to get this in-game but it's amazing to see such recognisable objects getting an upgrade.
    yes pretty much. I dont know anything about how it works or if its a mammoth job or whatever. I presume its not as simple as "cut and paste" but i couldnt think of a better way to phrase it.

Can you do anything about the models? the players i mean. Because truthfully I think the biggest impact (in terms of art) will be how players view their own avatar. If you can tidy up some of the textures on players and maybe some of the more famous monsters (warbots, aggies, cyclopses, firemobs) then i think players would probably look past the fact that wall textures and the like are a little out of date.

Again I dont know how easy this is to do (clearly static objects are much easier to improve than dynamic ones) but just thinking more bang for your buck in the first instance this might be the thing that gets it going.

yes pretty much. I dont know anything about how it works or if its a mammoth job or whatever. I presume its not as simple as "cut and paste" but i couldnt think of a better way to phrase it.
    Once the game fully supports the new technology required for the new models (new is a relative term for Neocron ) we basically tell the game to use the new model instead of the old one. All instances of the new instantly start using the new. At least in theory!

Can you do anything about the models? the players i mean. Because truthfully I think the biggest impact (in terms of art) will be how players view their own avatar. If you can tidy up some of the textures on players and maybe some of the more famous monsters (warbots, aggies, cyclopses, firemobs) then i think players would probably look past the fact that wall textures and the like are a little out of date.

Again I dont know how easy this is to do (clearly static objects are much easier to improve than dynamic ones) but just thinking more bang for your buck in the first instance this might be the thing that gets it going.
    As you rightly say, static models are a lot easier to deal with than ones with moving parts. Not just from creation but also in terms of the pipeline of taking the finished article and jumping through hoops to get it in game. I believe there's still a few roadblocks to making that happen which will be dealt with eventually. More info on that soon funnily enough.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

I love this rebirth but I just wanted to tell you guys that one thing that created NC's legendary success is the playerbase. If there is not 500ish players 24/7 then this reboot will never work. Hopefull this will be greenlight on steam or something because this game needs a new playerbase and it needs to pick up fast and stay steady.

Quote Originally Posted by REVKhA View Post
    I love this rebirth but I just wanted to tell you guys that one thing that created NC's legendary success is the playerbase. If there is not 500ish players 24/7 then this reboot will never work. Hopefull this will be greenlight on steam or something because this game needs a new playerbase and it needs to pick up fast and stay steady.
    Then start playing and recruiting and stop your whining.

With the current Game Industry there won't be any comparable game in the next 15 years anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Odimara Orca View Post
    Then start playing and recruiting and stop your whining.

With the current Game Industry there won't be any comparable game in the next 15 years anyways.

Fallout MMO rumours keep popping up.

Star Citizen is very much chugging along nicely.

The new Warhammer40k game seems to be doing ok.

Completely ignoring your opening statement I can already see that the 2nd one is a fallacy.

Hello, I have a question about teh art

Are these pics:
    - This is going to be the new art (but still in progress)
    or
    - These are only concepts/ideas/brainstorming

I ask this because some is great, high def versions of the original style, but some of it is very different from the original in a maybe unnecessary way. ("Well who do you think you are?!") I know, but I have like you guys played since Nc1 and always loved the original style. I just wanna say be careful with changing it too much. (I'm in the 3d art field too!)

One example is the change on the city building window strips. Revealing what's behind the window (those window blinds, shapes of interior rooms etc) makes things less mysterious and ominous, and changing the gray dirty concrete to a more realistic white plaster look is a really big difference that I'm not convinced preserves the style. It would be possible to up-rez those old window textures without changing the graphical style. Unless those are an up-rez of the VR windows, but if that's true I'd still take issue with being able to see the rooms inside the windows and how the lighting indoors seems to change color every window (which is not really possible unless every room inside is 3ft wide and has different colored lights inside! )

Quote Originally Posted by Izeo View Post
    Hello, I have a question about teh art

Are these pics:
    - This is going to be the new art (but still in progress)
    or
    - These are only concepts/ideas/brainstorming
    Both. I post screenshots sometimes in very early stages to keep you updated and also may get some feedback.

Most of the textures will stick very close to the original (and i heared im sometimes over pathetic about it ). Even an oldie, NC has a nice design and just need to get updated like it's created with the power of todays capabilitys.

For the certain level textures: Thoose are intended for Viarosso and are not fully done, especially the window parts. Keep in mind thoose are raw textures and unlit, they will look somewhat different after lightmaps and ambient lights have been applied. What will be new, are tiles that match current apartment window shapes for the certain sector. Also the overall scaling factor will be changed to a more realistic sizing in terms of player and world scale.

There will also be no scaling, not at all, there is no improvement and just match the current ingame one. Scaling a 128x128 indexed bitmap will not yield any good results. New textures are made with a varity from 512 to 2k, depending on the purpose.

Fallout MMO rumours keep popping up.
    Star Citizen is very much chugging along nicely.
    The new Warhammer40k game seems to be doing ok.
    Completely ignoring your opening statement I can already see that the 2nd one is a fallacy.
    All of these game will orient themselves on Design philosophies of already working money cows (WoW, Destiny, the Division).

There will not be any innovation as long as companies try to bank in on already existing success of other titles.

So if you enjoy playing the same game mechanics over and over again, just with different skins and different lore then you will never get bored, it's what most people do after all.

But for a small percentage of the global gamer population Neocron will stay competitive for a long time, thanks to the refreshingly different mechanic compared to all the modern MMO titles.

It's quite the same with EVE Online. It's nothing for the masses. But the small Population they have is fanatic.

Because it is different. Because it doesn't try to copy other games. So the feeling of playing it stays fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Xortag View Post
    Both. I post screenshots sometimes in very early stages to keep you updated and also may get some feedback.

Most of the textures will stick very close to the original (and i heared im sometimes over pathetic about it ). Even an oldie, NC has a nice design and just need to get updated like it's created with the power of todays capabilitys.

For the certain level textures: Thoose are intended for Viarosso and are not fully done, especially the window parts. Keep in mind thoose are raw textures and unlit, they will look somewhat different after lightmaps and ambient lights have been applied. What will be new, are tiles that match current apartment window shapes for the certain sector. Also the overall scaling factor will be changed to a more realistic sizing in terms of player and world scale.

There will also be no scaling, not at all, there is no improvement and just match the current ingame one. Scaling a 128x128 indexed bitmap will not yield any good results. New textures are made with a varity from 512 to 2k, depending on the purpose.
    Thanks for the feedback

Since they are VR then in that case the white plaster texture work is great. However I would very strongly suggest making the windows black/opaque (like black-tinted windows) like the originals. I'm also a game texture artist/modeler, I'd love to help if possible

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast