Thread: Artists sandbox

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Artists sandbox

So to give you a little hint on what's happening behind the scenes for the Art side of things i prepared some sceenshots. Most of them are just concepts and tests, so please don't ever wait for them to apply. It will also show you that we gonna work even you don't see any patch notes or output. It's often just about concepts, getting the idea and see if things will work in the engine. The Rhino advertise decal along with the viarosso textures are thing that will get into the game later. Overhauling level textures is quite time consuming, for plaza it's alone more then hundred textures. For the first rollout of reworked sectors at least a different number of textures have to be done without making the level appear like artists sandbox.

You can also see there is not just work for the client, we need to take care of website stuff, mockups and graphics for our tools, etc. There is also a lot of experimentation like finding issues with engine compressions, z-buffer problems or BGRA shifting that may just result in a short patch note like "Neocron now supports 32bit textures". It also took many man hours from different team members to make HD textures for levels ever happen, no output, just for allowing it. The original level editor had scaling factors for 256x256 textures that don't fit for a 1024x1024 and above size. Everything in HD got compressed to a 8bit palette and that conversion also rendered black dots all over the new textures. All that stuff needs to be done, the only thing you see in the end is a new texture in the level.

Have a look from time to time as i use this thread to show you what has been done in the future.

Right Click on a image to show it in full size.

showcase01.jpg
    showcase02.jpg
    showcase03.jpg
    showcase04.jpg
    showcase05.jpg
    showcase06.jpg
    showcase07.jpg
    showcase08.jpg
    showcase09.jpg
    showcase10.jpg
    Last edited by Xortag; 04-08-15 at 18:33.

Awww it's awesome !!!

I love that you kept the true idea of NC behind all the texture but added much more details.

Oh my shit

showcase13.jpg
    showcase14.jpg

Note: Textures on screens are 8bit Palette compressed due to development client limitations. They will look normal on retail.

For the interested: 3,5 M Poly dynasculpt >> High-Res map bakes >> DDO PBR >> Photoshop composition for unlit environments

Looks awesome!

I cannot wait for a new UI!

Shiny stuff Xortag ! Can't wait either...

LOM God & RPOS Designer Michael Corvin's Avatar

Sexy!!

NC Ambient-Trance: (EN) / (DE) | Corvin's RPOS Collection | Corvin Chronicles

nice

Promising things going on in this thread, very nice work!

OK, you got me - I am going to log-in on release day!

Hhhhnnnnnnggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    I’m going to become rich and famous after I invent a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

Will you guys also be able to apply these updated looks to players and weapons as well?

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

very awesome job guys!!

hopefully you can manage to get these textures ingame at some point, especially the outdoor ones, indoor look pretty good already, outdoor is lacking bigtime.

Looks good.

But how about doing something about characters and NPCs? To bring up an ancient issue, we used to be able to pick colours for our clothes back when Neocron was launched. The game would be much more beautiful with colours on characters,we are all looking quite uniform and boring at the moment.
    I AM IRON MAN

Original Plasma Wave Rider

I See Blue/Estimated Prophet/Big Five/Big Six/Big Seven/Wreckless/Gift of Anger/Pure Pyro/Undead Constructor
    17th, Wolf Pack and LGBT

Seller of rares and imps

Formerly of Nordic NCPD/Crackheads/NCAT/FF/BRTF/DOY

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast