Default Scout Drone upgrade concept - Lore Scanner.

I was thinking about making scout drone somewhat more usefull than it is. For now scout drone has no particular use - maybe beside making films for RPing or OP fighting. Laser or ion drone have similiar handling and distance with ability to defend itself.

First lets start with some introducing mission. Place a guy in Neocron ZOO that gives you simple job to collect some junk wandering around (wire/computer junk, scrap glass and so on). In return, he will give you blueprint for building prototype of upgraded scout drone with creature scanning feature. Build it and return it to mission giver. He in return will tell you to keep it and give access to his database. Main explanation below.

Now main mechanic how it could work. Requirements for using drone should be very low that every class could use it. After deploy drone should act as normal scout drone, but with one difference - when aimed at creature/object and clicked right mouse, reticule will slowly close down. When fully closed, creature is marked as "scanned" that adds the scans amount in the database. To access zoo-guy database you could use either citycom or hometerm (ideally it should be some special furniture computer). When reached certain amount of scans, independend for each creature/object, the information about it is unlocked and can be viewed. Information can contain:
    -some fancy lore about sizes, behavior and biology of creature
    -producing technique of object
    -zones where creature can be found
    -approximated amount of health
    -information about to what type of damage mob is vulnerable or resistant
    -what items can it drop

Scanning mechanics:
    -you cannot scan the same creature multiple times. Either kill creature and wait for spawning new one or zone out and in.
    -you cannot scan neutral NPC or other runners, but you can scan hostile NPC.
    -each successful scan give either small amount of all skills exp, credits or both.
    -rarer mobs should require greater amount of scans than common ones, but it can be quite exhausting to complete db entry. We can make it otherwise with increased reward.
    -if drone gets destroyed, you can buy bp back from zoo guy
    -scanning range should be around 20-30 metres from drone I think.

Its just a rough concept. While making scout drone some use, we can expand immersion and game world lore. PvErs and completioninsts will have something to do while giving incentive to explore the wastelands. Writing all those stuff about every roach or other launcher cyclops can be large effort, but we can involve community to help.

Thoughts?

To me that sounds like quite a good idea. The only question to me is how likely this is to be implemented, given NCs dwindling number of players. But it certainly is something nice to boost the PvE-aspect of the game.

That sounds like a fantastic idea !

A lot of players are not into OP fight and all-day pvp in pp1. I have met several lonewolf collectors and hunters of pve content. And that would fit this kind of playstyle, for adventurers and RP !

+1 :>

Apart from the fact that it would be a huge ass project: YES! Bring the scan visor from Metroid Prime to NC!
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^