Default suggestion: Fill in lore and history for "blank spots" in the game

One of the things I've always loved about Neocron is the storyline and the fact that the world has so much to it. As an example, it's the first game I know of that gave expansive in-game origin stories for the rare items.

It seems to be some of the areas of the game are extensively documented, but others seem like they are just, well blank spots. The origins and source of the Warbots, Ceres soldiers and genotoxic parasites are well-documented and explained for instance, but the fire mobs seem to be a complete mystery.

It seems to me there are so many great "mysteries" that could be explained, either by a player writing project or the dev team. Why is there a battletank-sized scorpion in the storage rooms under a small, sleepy desert town? What about the worm caves, are they the product of early psi-monk experimentation, is that where our soulclusters go when we die, or is it something else entirely? What's the deal with the chaos queen, where did the chaosspawn come from, and are they man-made, alien in nature or natural in origin? What about the graves? why are they overrun with snakes, and how did the snakes there get as tough as a warbot? Are the firemobs a natural mutation, a product of natural evolution and proximity to a radioactive volcano, or something altogether more sinister? Why do launcher Cyclops hang out around a random pit full of garbage? and how do aggressors get their chaingun-implanted arms for that matter, is there a secret mutant cybernetics lab churning them out deep in the sewers and maintenance tunnels under Neocron?

There's also dozens of little weird places in the wasteland that beg for their own story.

What about the rare drones? are they Ceres-war-era production models or do they have a story like the other rare items?

One thought I had was to head down to the diner and start a thread where people can post their stories that answer one or more of these questions, and we could compile the fleshed-out lore.

some dark mysteries should better remain undiscovered... never read a Lovecraft story? Those who are drawn inevitable, irresistably to such chtonic secrets will only meet their DOOM!

Also, part of the fun is the wonderment and speculation, the curiosity! Not everything necessarily gains from a backstory.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

They set up a content development team to do just that. Sadly it died a while ago.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    They set up a content development team to do just that. Sadly it died a while ago.
    Good to see you being supportive, cheery and positive as always.... Anyway back to the more interesting topic.

@dWintermut3 - You read the NC history, and what I've always liked about it, is it gives you the headline event and it's just open enough to allow you to fill in the missing bits with your own story or put your own twist on it.

You mentioned Graves, anyone ever spotted the famous painting down there and wondered how it ever got there or how it survived all these years? Or has someone stolen the real version? Recently a person with a whip and a hat was spotted running away very quickly from Graves, who was that person and why was he there?

So why not head down to Garriot's Diner and write away?

I was being positive and cheery. If I wanted to be negative I could do far worse. I had very high hopes for that team, nothing irks me more than the incompetent way it was handled leading to its sorry demise.

I did write up one thing in the Diner already.

Also, as to filling in, I agree very much that they do broad sketches, but there are many things that just need filling in: the rares that have no flavor text, and even non-rare items.

Agreed, good story. I liked it. I hope you have as much fun writing for them as I did once.

We'd love to have the resources to flesh things out like this, if you have the time and energy to craft material of this nature, we'd certainly be happy to receive it. Some of these are "5 minute jobs" which sadly creates a raft of frustration as there are enough of those little 5 minute tasks to last a life time.

For what it's worth, I can only apologise for that list still being quite so long after my tenure as the attempted driving force of such things between 2012 and 2014.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT