With regards to making the game "noob friendly", sadly you have to these days. I company I work closely with recently launched on Steam. Fairly solid game, great potential. However, massive drop out even before completing the tutorial due to a slightly confusing message order. If a player gets stuck or confused as to why they are doing something, they'll just drop out and move on. You get one shot at making a good impression these days. You fuck it up, that's a lost customer. That was fixed, but the damage was done.

Gone are the good old days you are dropped into a game to work stuff out. If you have not hooked the player in after a short time, forget about it. Sadly

I've been playing Neocron since the Beta sometime in 2002 I think. And the one thing I loved most about Neocron is also what annoys me the most -> the complexity.

I would not want the game to be dumbed-down or streamlined. I enjoy that - in order to be more effective - you have to bring your weapons to another player who resses them, then another player to build them, etc.

But as interesting as this is, it is also annoying to have to ask the help channel every 5 minutes about something in the game, because there is no guide about how to do things. You wake up in the game, you talk to someone, and noone really tells you, what you have to do, what you can do. In my opinion, either the game tries too much to be complex and give the player the feeling on being lost - or the old developers were just crappy at doing what they should do. (Maybe it's both, when looking at how many bugs left untouched in the game for years)

A game does not have to be simple to give a player a proper introduction into it. Although we will not see Neocron 2.2 going into that direction, a successor of the game might. You can add more guides, you can make the first weapons you buy being sold with better stats/condition, but still make the game more and more complex the longer you play. But in moderation. Maybe make the path one should or could go a little more clear (open world is great, but without knowing what to do, ... well..).
    Also, the distribution of the items onto 12 different FSM is also kind of annoying. I don't think that the whole archetype smuggler should be in the game, I'd rather have the good items being crafted only, instead of factionXY-only.

I also find the term "noob friendly" rather badly chosen. When you play a game for the first time, you are a noob in that particular game. And being a friendly game to people just starting with it, is nothing that should be seen as something bad - it should be the other way around. Being friendly to new players also does not mean, that a new player only has to click one button all the time. It means, that he should be able to find the information he is looking for, without asking TH.org or the help channel all the time.

To the point of Neocron being in steam: Nope. Just don't. Not in this state. Not with Quake2 engine. Not with the system it has right now. I don't think that Neocron 2.2 will ever be a great game again. The longer it takes for the bugs to be killed, the older the game and its engine becomes. And since NST does not earn money, they are not working 24/7 on neocron.

Just take what went wrong in consideration when programming Neocron 3, and put that on steam.

Neocron is dead...time to move on =(

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    Neocron is dead...time to move on =(
    Don't let the door hit you on your way out.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Highest Ranked Psi-Monk Ever Forget My Name's Avatar

Neocron was released fill with coding holes you could drive a house through.

What blew me away is that, early on, it was stated that the coder wasn't around anymore, so what we had was pretty much it.

It's like, 13 years later, and the game never hired anyone who could figure out the game's source code and make Neocron a stable, smooth running game. Nor could they ever hire anyone who understood how to create a nice early game curve to teach new players how to get into the game.

What we have today is a mess of a game that was built and rebuilt 20 times on the corpse of broken, barely working code and bad game play implementation.

I mean, come on. People eventually figured out how to crack the enigma machine, and come up with e=mc squared, but fix some code in Neocron? Only one person could have done it in a reasonable time, and he was never seen from again.

Make a tutorial for newbies? Why don't we add extra, shitty levels like MC5, and bombard new players with text so small not even ants could play this game. Not to mention, players LOVE reading 10 in game emails with a magnifying glass, filled with grammatical errors and mentioning mechanics that were phased out 10 years ago.

Releasing this 13 year old Beta on Steam would be a death sentence.

- edit - Oh, all that, plus Melee, a basic game play function of nearly every game ever made, hasn't been functional/viable/fun in a decade. We got new apartments, flying cars, a hacking world to walk into, but unless you want to slice Launcher Cyclops for months to gain one level, no thanks.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Majestic_12 / Cold Steel Mercs / Phoenix LTD / P.I.M.P / Immune

my techs for trade

Steam summer sale: Neocron 100% Off - NOW!

Quote Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
    Steam summer sale: Neocron 100% Off - NOW!
    No Steam client required to Play Neocron - download Neocron now for free at https://www.neocron-game.com/client-download
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERDISCORDGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Quote Originally Posted by Forget My Name View Post
    It's like, 13 years later, and the game never hired anyone who could figure out the game's source code and make Neocron a stable, smooth running game.
    Thats not true. The fatal error is gone and a lot of other crashes too, like alt-tabbing in the wastes when running DX9.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    No Steam client required to Play Neocron - download Neocron now for free at https://www.neocron-game.com/client-download
    Steam customers don't know that, unfortunately :/

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    I will see this game to the grave...in Jesus name we pray.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    The door better hits him hard on his way out.

May Crahn bless this poor soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Tino View Post
    I will see this game to the grave...in Jesus name we pray.
    Just leave.
    "Ich bin für klare Hierarchien. Gott hat ja auch nicht zu Moses gesagt: "Hier Moses, ich hab' da mal was aufgeschrieben, was mir nicht so gefällt. Falls du Lust hast schau' doch da mal drüber." Nein, da hieß es: Zack, 10 Gebote! Und wer nicht pariert kommt in die Hölle. Bums, aus, Nikolaus." (Stromberg)

Good to see youre all still such a supportive, cheery bunch then.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Ein Drom, zwei Drom, Drei Drom Terror_Nonne's Avatar
    Crahn Sect HQ || Dome of York || Wastelands || Hacknet || behind u ;>

Steam and Neocron? - No chance!
    Wir leben in einem System, in dem man entweder Rad sein muß oder unter die Räder gerät.
    Kein Sieger glaubt an den Zufall. || Den Stil verbessern, das heißt den Gedanken verbessern.
    Das Leben ist wert, gelebt zu werden, sagt die Kunst, die schönste Verführerin;
    das Leben ist wert, erkannt zu werden, sagt die Wissenschaft.
    Friedrich Nietzsche (1844-1900), dt. Philosoph

Quote Originally Posted by LeoPump View Post
    Just leave.
    Leopump is mad rofl...Why so mad bro?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast