Thread: Attempted login

Default Attempted login

Had an email today saying I had 5 attempted logins on my forum account at 3:30 am Monday. Traced the i.p to macau

Anybody else had this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hell-demon
    Neocron is like an ex-girlfriend you keep in contact with in the off chance she might put out. You sleep with her and you feel ashamed because it's not like how you remembered it.

I'll repeat the same advice Trivaldi gave in another thread.

Please change your password as a first precaution. It may also be worth checking other services you use if you have recently used a shared computer or open public wi-fi network.
    To keep the consistency I should close this thread since it's more of a private support issue, but I'll leave it open for now.
    Last edited by Trivaldi; 02-04-15 at 00:14. Reason: Updated
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERDISCORDGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

former king of saturn

I received a PM from another forum user that had their account compromised. Bifrost speaks the truth.

Neocron Apartment Guide

I also had one of these the other day and immediately changed my password

Hi Rozzer Hun, hope you and the fam are all good x
    I received one of these today, tracked ip to Malaysia. So I've changed my password (after having to request a new one as forgot old ��) and hopefully that will be enough.
    On returning I've been hit with a huge dose of nostalgia lol

Same here - Mine resolved to chinamobile though. Not much you can do apart from a geoip ban I guess

I got that mail about 20 mins ago...got scared for a good min.

Terra/Scientist/Spy-Aikatears

Im getting concerned now. Ive had this problem with my origin login for months with chinese hackers trying to get my details.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Always try to use strong or very strong passwords with case letters, numbers and symbols... make it harder for them !!

Well you should also check the possibility of your email being compromised as well. Change your password not only for the forum, but also for your email mailbox. Come to think of it you should be updating/changing your password(s) every 6 months.

I recommend using Lastpass or Nortons Identity Safe *(https://identitysafe.norton.com/password-generator/)

And if you're online in a public location, I recommend using a VPN or proxy, to make sure your line is safe. Although, the hostel I'm staying in right now is downright blasting me with ads whenever I go online thru my laptop's browser. This Gothenburg Hostel in Sweden is downright naughty with their public connection...grrrr

former king of saturn

All it takes for one of us to receive this email is for a bot to cruise over the forum and snag our names and try bruting the password box. Not to say you shouldn't take your security seriously, but you may want to check yourself before you end up with a full-blown security suite and robocop for something that really didn't warrant it.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    All it takes for one of us to receive this email is for a bot to cruise over the forum and snag our names and try bruting the password box. Not to say you shouldn't take your security seriously, but you may want to check yourself before you end up with a full-blown security suite and robocop for something that really didn't warrant it.
    Completely off topic but now all I've got is Ice Cube rapping "You better check yo'self before you wreck yo'self" in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Official Neocron Forum
    Dear Morpheus,

Someone has tried to log into your account on Official Neocron Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 223.86.171.225

All the best,
    Official Neocron Forum
    inetnum: 223.64.0.0 - 223.117.255.255
    netname: CMNET
    descr: China Mobile Communications Corporation

Just had the same aswell, ip 111.9.124.233 based in china
    TITAN
    Fenyx Rifle Spy - Fenix PPU Monk -
    Draven HC Tank - Turkish Pistol PE -
    Magneto Slotgod - Fenix-Res Researcher -

I wish NC's soundtrack was a bit more like this ...

Xenocell's indiegogo fundraiser!, mmo fps-rts that ive worked on, check it out

Going from the replies in this thread, it appears there are some of you had this email from our forum system - I've had one myself on my private forum account several weeks ago.

These attempts to brute force your username and password via the login page happen with any forum system, and China is a well known source of these sort of bots.

The forum software does have countermeasures to slow down bots, like locking out their IP for 15 minutes. However by the looks of things, it looks like the normal noise you get with forum bots, but we will continue monitor the situation as we normally do.

So`to repeat the advice given out earlier if you get an attempted login email.

• Please change your password to a strong/secure password as a first precaution.
    • It may also be worth checking other services you use if you have recently used a shared computer or open public wi-fi network.
    • Don't use the same password on other services.

For those who have a lot of passwords to manage, have a look at using a password manager as MadisonIim mentioned one in his post. Personally I use KeePass and there are plenty of others out there.

Anyone who has posted in this thread and still has a copy of their email please feel free to forward it to me via PM. Likewise if you have any further questions or concerns, again feel free to PM me.
    Last edited by Trivaldi; 02-04-15 at 00:13. Reason: Remove support links.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERDISCORDGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT