Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default NC on Windows 10

I know its still to early to talk about this, but I was concerned about running such old game like neocron in brand new operating system. I have installed Win10 Technical Preview on my second partition to check if NC (and other games) will run fine.
    Everything work very good, just needed to install VC redist and log in.

I didnt notice any bigger difference between performace of nc under win 7 or 10, but seems that on 10 everything runs a bit more smoother.

Just one note: NC installed before on win 7 but on other partition, didnt want to work (window immediately closed), I needed to make clean install.

Since the upgrade to VC2013 we shouldn't have any problems in this regards. We could achieve a better experience by ridding off the last XP dependencies we had to reimplement in one of the last patches (because there were still users running xp).

Anyway, thanks for testing I did the same with an early version of Win10 but things may change during the development. Its always good to know NC is still running <3
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    Since the upgrade to VC2013 we shouldn't have any problems in this regards. We could achieve a better experience by ridding off the last XP dependencies we had to reimplement in one of the last patches (because there were still users running xp).

Anyway, thanks for testing I did the same with an early version of Win10 but things may change during the development. Its always good to know NC is still running <3
    Drop Windows XP support, Microsoft has! maybe put a poll in the forum to see what OS players are running, surely Windows XP must be the minority OS by now....

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by bluelights View Post
    Drop Windows XP support, Microsoft has! maybe put a poll in the forum to see what OS players are running, surely Windows XP must be the minority OS by now....
    I REALLY hope so.. I just cant take XP users serious.. There is absolutely no reason to use that outdatet piece of shit OS.
    /Signed to drop XP support!
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

former king of saturn

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    I just cant take XP users serious.
    In the 2k/XP days, there were the users who couldn't get off 9x. Luddites will always exist in one form or another.

/edit:
    win2k days... those were good days.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

I REALLY hope so.. I just cant take XP users serious.. There is absolutely no reason to use that outdatet piece of shit OS.
    /Signed to drop XP support!
    Pfft, my business computer still runs XP....

XP was fucking awesome, still better than win7 in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post

Haven't you learned it yet, you are the bane of the internetz, a scourge to progress and advancement!
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by yavimaya View Post

So your business doesnt care about the insanely poor security?

XP was good for its time. It is not, however ANY good anymore.
    And no, it is not in any way better than Win7, at all.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Haven't you learned it yet, you are the bane of the internetz, a scourge to progress and advancement!
    lol! awesome response!

So your business doesnt care about the insanely poor security?

XP was good for its time. It is not, however ANY good anymore.
    And no, it is not in any way better than Win7, at all.
    Nah i am a drycleaner, i use one computer, if the internet wants to DDOS me or whatever, it will have no effect on my ability to make and give out dockets.
    Any OS that does what it is meant to - run the computer without crashing - is good, the smaller the better, once again, why is 7 twice as big as XP? stupidity thats why.
    Why are so many options in 7 moved around into stupid areas? stupidity thats why.

lol.

I use 7 on my personal comp., but there is no denying XP was better.
    Also i am running an old IBM thinkcentre, it runs slow enough without adding more work for it for no gain.

You happen to run Internet Explorer 6 by any chance?
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    You happen to run Internet Explorer 6 by any chance?
    lol as if i would touch IE with a 10 foot pole

former king of saturn

IE has had fewer 0-days than Firefox or Chrome for the last 2 years and is known to have a very sophisticated webkit and html5 implementation.

A DDOS is a network attack which is not influenced in any way by your OS. Unlike, say a stack or buffer overflow exploit which is specifically tuned for a target. To end up at the end of a DDOS attack, you'd need to be a relatively important individual or have made enemies with relatively important individuals. To end up owned by an exploit is must less personal and probably 100000 times more likely. Being DDOSd is like someone spitting in your face. It's personal.

7 is more than 10 times the size of XP, unless you are running an EXTREMELY tuned 7 env. The reason is sophistication, code, and content. 7 was released at a time that most computer monitors were 720p or better. XP was released at a time that most computer monitors were CRT's. And most computers had modems. And add-on network cards. And........ISA slots. Gross.

By comparison:
    Windows 8.1 http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/06/28
    Windows 8 gave everyone a free 6% computational buff that no one seems to care about and is technologically advanced in about every way above Win7 where efforts were put forth. Metro, dawg. 1 click faster than Start Menu no matter what you do. Try it.
    Windows 7 is Windows Vista Take Two and everyone loves it because hardware matured enough to run it.
    Windows Vista was horribly implemented and timed based upon hardware capabilities when compared to a much less demanding, much more tuned XP.
    Windows XP was considered a downgrade from Windows 2000.
    Windows 2000 absolutely shamed ME before ME actually delivered you to a UI.
    ME was a horrible money-grab twist on 98SE which was significantly better than 98 which was marginally better than 95c.

Hi divide, No i dont think ill be trying microsofts try hard "mobile phone clone" operating system, thanks anyway.

Nor do i get into marketing hype of "sophistication and content".... name where there is more content, more versions of solitaire???
    On my work computer which is solely used for making dockets and tags and a litte internet surfing / playing music, i dont think i need to worry about "more features" or the like.

You dont need to explain basic computer based terms to me, DDOS was just part of the general joke.

The only way microsoft interests me in new OS' is when they are actually better, substantially better, i dont beleive in these "we moved some options so you have to relearn important stuff for no reason, we made it bigger but no better" yearly "new versions" of windows....

The best OS i have used so far was Mini-XP by far, it removed 90% of microsofts unneeded bullshit (corporate stuff, etc) and made it run A LOT faster. Hell the only microsoft OS i would say that was better was the original XboX Kernal...

I have to agree with al of the last paragraph, except i never had 2000, i went from 98 to ME to XP, tried to skip vista but couldnt, never used the PC it was on cos it was horrible, then got 7 on my laptop when i bought that, else i would have used XP still.

cant see how XP was a downgrade, but :shrug:

Windows ME......*shudder

Closed - Until Further Notice

Quote Originally Posted by Riddle View Post
    Windows ME......*shudder
    lol hey it was like 10% more stable than win98
    back then that helped a lot, i wasnt an NT kernal fan back then.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast