Thread: Reviving Titan

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    former king of saturn

Haha I love you too Darkener. ZoneseeK is who you were trying to refer to. He'll give me this one, don't worry. He actually agrees with your outlook. I got him back and playing for a while and he was initially wrapped up in the nostalgia but was turned away by the fact that it's not worth discerning gamers' time to take a trip down memory lane when the destination doesn't resemble the path.

You and he are the type of people we all want playing. We should be listening to you instead of telling you that you are wrong.

Neocron Apartment Guide

Quote Originally Posted by Darkener View Post
    You would think in this day and age to encourage more people to play they would give at least 1 char that is capped for you to jump into.
    I understand the reason for this, I'm just not sure it's been thought through as it's just a short term fix that really only benefits vets. Don't get me wrong this is the 3rd time I've restarted too but this isn't a solution.

There's no point giving new players capped character as they simply won't know what to do with it (if you allocated all the skill points they may not be how that person would want them ultimately and then you need to spend time LOMing stuff - if you don't allocate the skill points the new player has no idea where to put his points assuming they realise they need to allocate them!).

While you may have given everyone a stat capped character you're still going to have starter cash/gear (because people would otherwise just create mule alts to pawn the stuff from in the same way everyone has the Jones NEXT Quad - I'm not judging, I've done that too) so you're still going to need to 'grind' for cash/equipment before you can do anything meaningful unless you're getting handouts from existing players (which only vets will be able to do realistically).

So by giving everyone a capped character you haven't enabled eveyone to PvP [on a level playing field] out of the box at all, all you've done is saved the vets the grind (which I guess was what you had in mind) and given them an advantage over new players that think they might be able to initially compete.

The new guy still gets chain killed (assuming he took his LE out) in one sided fights due to lack of game knowledge, skill point allocation and/or equipment (stuff they would normally learn while levelling up) and actually finds it easier to quit the game as they haven't had any time to develop an attachment to the character they've been given (rather than developed themselves).

1 CS clip > Fish

Quote Originally Posted by 5150 View Post
    I understand the reason for this, I'm just not sure it's been thought through as it's just a short term fix that really only benefits vets. Don't get me wrong this is the 3rd time I've restarted too but this isn't a solution.

There's no point giving new players capped character as they simply won't know what to do with it (if you allocated all the skill points they may not be how that person would want them ultimately and then you need to spend time LOMing stuff - if you don't allocate the skill points the new player has no idea where to put his points assuming they realise they need to allocate them!).

While you may have given everyone a stat capped character you're still going to have starter cash/gear (because people would otherwise just create mule alts to pawn the stuff from in the same way everyone has the Jones NEXT Quad - I'm not judging, I've done that too) so you're still going to need to 'grind' for cash/equipment before you can do anything meaningful unless you're getting handouts from existing players (which only vets will be able to do realistically).
    No its been thought through pretty well, just because you have started for a third time doesnt mean that i will restart for a second or new people will start at all.

If you put in a capped char or close to it you could put in player support around it for folk to figure out how to play. Look at wow and how they do it for example.

In a game that is basically designed around getting to cap so you can pvp the level aspect of it seems so redundant. It however is not the only problem and all items need to be looked at from a macro environment perspective and not the micro.
    HC > ALL

Hello, interresting thread for me because when i come back after a while to neocron there was a new server. My old Charakters were gone and i had to start new.
    Oh i tried it really but i was eaysier in former times. More ppl, lack of "easy to level" mmos...
    Well i spend some time in the severs, on the street and in chat... I went to military base for teaming up but i did not get a team most of the time... At last i left because grind is a bit too hefty this days.
    I wished i could get back my old chars (even naked... That does not matter to me)... But afaik theres no way.

if you already complain bout the speed of leveling, then you wouldnt even get your hands on any rares later. Leveling is way faster then equiping the character after capping. For that equip you have to grind. The question with people at the bunker is when have you been there? i m driving noobs up to mb once or twice a day...

I m happy that neocron is not another wow-game, where you get a capped character if you return after a bit of time

Banned User

Only read the first two pages to apologies if I missed something important or someone making the same point as me.

Neocrons downfalls are not the fault of the NST, sure I too always felt they should be giving more updates/doing more in the community, but considering none of them are being paid and they're updating with more frequency than some of the "early releases" that Steam has let in... Well I think they're doing okay right now.

That being said, Zoltan I've said this before and I even asked for you to help me with this but you always ignored it....

COMMUNITY ACTIVITIES!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!11ONE!!!!1!

I understand you have a lot of work on your plate but the biggest draw neocron ever had was the community activities. I mean let's be honest, in terms of content this game has and always will be sorely lacking.What made it great was the GM's 'playing' with the community. Having to break out the leader of DoY from Neocron, having to prevent an assassination on high ranking Neocron officials, etc etc etc. Start those up again, or find someone who you're willing to trust and support to start that up again and it will make a difference in population, I guarantee it.

Moving on to the main problem of why the game has so few people. It's simple really, graphics are the initial bottleneck, and you can't do much about that. But with that being said people are still playing runescape and are happy as can be, so graphics only inhibit you slightly, though it is one of the several issues that hurt this game.

The biggest damage would be the community, when I played there were maybe 3-4 active people, myself included, who were willing to drop what they were doing and help lowbies with information/crafting/taking or showing them to their next destination to continue onwards. To further make this matter worse you have tons of pvp junkies who give bad advice/use underhanded methods to pull douchebag stunts. In a game where you're going to be fighting the same people over and over, literally the same 20-40 people at most. It gets tiring very quickly to have to entertain the same pricks over and over.

As a result the only people who will stick around are those with strong emotional ties to neocron or those who's Epeens are too invested into it.

Alternately if the community can correct itself a bit I'm sure there'll be more retention of players.

TRY FOR STEAM GREENLIGHT FFS! If that PoS Face of Mankind and all those other horrid early release survival games can make it on I'm sure neocron has some small chance...

~Brawndo/Nimoy

Hah, I can't even imagine this game on a steam greenlight. Would the greenlight be for the new project that was supposed to be in the works?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345