I'm the guy that's logging in from Asia.

The things you say make sense, Drachen, but spoken fom the perspective of a vet. Sure, most noobs would get the hang of it just fine, but not everyone does.

I too think MC5 is a waste of time really, the place is boring and gives you a totally wrong impression. On very rare occasions there would be someone else in the area, apart from that its mostly deserted. sure, you can do a mission there, there are traders at some remote spot, but on the whole it's pretty desolate and boring. I know because i started 2 months ago, and raised some alts of course.

Oh by the way, I do have my res/con/rep/poke chars, and i log them whenever people need them regardless of what I'm doing. No charge for low level chars, assuming they're new to the game.

First of all, thanks for your input, I do appreciate it even if I disagree with you

I can see we are coming at this from different points of view. Me, from the point of view that the current system clearly isnīt working when it comes to educating new players, and keeping them in game. You from the point of view that some small changes would be enough.

In my experience, and Iīve spent a lot time helping new players out, new players arenīt finding the current system intuitive. There is precious little information in game, and most of it is in MC5, which is not accessible beyond a limited amount of time. I want information to be available longer than that. I want information to be more available than just a screen that pops up once.

Why you ask? Because people wonīt necessarily remember it after just being told once. I mean, from your description, there is a lot of information coming at once in the tutorial, and therefore it is unlikely people will remember it all. Same thing with one time popups in game.

You answered my example of tech combat, saying that it is a requirement for some weapons. True, they can find that out by right clicking the weapon. But are they told it also increases aiming and gives some damage? Iīve met several noobs who have specced bare minimum on store bought weapons, thinking that this was all they needed to do to get all they needed out of weapons.

Just ask people you say. Often questions go unanswered. Now, I answer stuff in helpchannel all the time, trying to explain game mechanics or guiding people around to find stuff. Often though, if Iīm not watching chat, I spot questions that arenīt answered. Or requests for constructing or research that go unaswered. Now you might not see that as a problem, but I do, especially when I see how often it happens.

Now, give me a good reason why more information shouldnīt be available in game? Even if "they should have talked to people", or "remembered it the one time they were told it", what good reason is there to not have the information in there?

Another thing is that people once they leave MC5, often lack a sense of direction. They are not sure where to go, what to do, the whole place is big and confusing. Why not place some easily attainable mission NPCs around? What harm does that do? Itīs not a massive bit of work, yet, there could very well be a reward, namely a player getting into stuff a bit quicker.

When it comes to weapons, you donīt seem to have a problem with the current system. The system that can leave you waiting for hours to get a new weapon. But how fun is it really to just ask for a tradeskiller and get no reply in a game? I know this happens, because it happened to me when I came back, and that was with higher server numbers. Often I would have to wait for quite long periods of time before I got my new weapon. I guarantee you it happens more frequently now, with less people on at all times of the day.

Again, what is the harm in having decent low lvl weapons be more accessible? It is of no hindrance to anyone, but it could really enable new players to test more weapons, get better ones, and not spend long periods of time just waiting for people to help them out. You could use those NPCs to teach them the tradeskill systems as well. Make a mission out of it, talk to one character to get a bp, another that can build and gives you something to do while he builds it, like get parts to it.

Iīm not saying that everyone needs the suggested remedies, Iīm just saying it will help some people get into the game. And why would you not want that? You are basically saying that anyone who doesnīt get it at once shouldnīt be playing anyway. Or if you are unlucky and no one answers your question about something basic, then thatīs just fine with you, just clench your teeth and get on with it. Why not try to help these players with some easy remedies?

I wonīt argue with you more back and forth after this btw, because I feel I understand your point of view, and you mine, and we just basically disagree. It just feels like we are hijacking the thread arguing with eachother.

BTW I am in no way against the concept of MC5 as an idea, but from my experience the people who have spent time there donīt really get much return from it. Now, I know thatīs anecdotal evidence, but still, there is a general dissatisfaction with the area. If they spend time to improve that, then sure, that is a way to go as well, I have no problems with that. But I still think there should be more information available without talking to other runners. Information you are able to access at will, when you might need it. Not as a big bulk, available only once at the start of the game.Simply because there might not be other runners to answer, or people might be averse to asking. The most important thing however we disagree, is to improve the experience for new players. The game has a steeper learning curve than most game, and I find it unnecessary. Because it can break immersion into to the game. Sitting around waiting for help makes people feel helpless in my experience, not a feeling you want a game to inspire.

Challenge yes, adventure yes, exploration yes. All these are good things in a game. Instant complicated crafting system, a not necessarily intuitive mission system (all those missions with hard to find mobs), difficulty finding basic stuff and a lot of waiting arenīt good first experiences in a game for all players.

And another reason for making it faster and easier to get those first weapons, is to keep new players in the groove, keep exploring, keep killing and actually doing stuff, maybe get a bit excited about getting a new gun.
    Last edited by I See Blue; 05-12-14 at 08:14. Reason: Forgot stuff as usual
    I AM IRON MAN

Original Plasma Wave Rider

I See Blue/Estimated Prophet/Big Five/Big Six/Big Seven/Wreckless/Gift of Anger/Pure Pyro/Undead Constructor
    17th, Wolf Pack and LGBT

Seller of rares and imps

Formerly of Nordic NCPD/Crackheads/NCAT/FF/BRTF/DOY

You know, it is played out in a lot of games. Sure there is that tutorial that drops you right in, with a character that you didn't build... and you haven't a clue what is going on. I would remove the tutorial that exists in it's current form, and incorporate that concept directly into MC5. Starting with "mastering" movement, forward back, side to side, and strafe. You just had your head screwed up in MC5 so having to relearn right there would make total sense. From there having a member of your faction pro city, or anti city directing you to your basic quests. That would probably take time to set up.
    Long ago I was part of the following clans.
    H.E. Brotherhood ---> C.S.M ---> P.I.M.P
    Quant

Quote Originally Posted by Faid View Post
    I support Iron Man
    Always.

Very interesting People, keep it going !
    Nevermind Drachen, he is bored and got rekt too much in PVP, so he prefers to perform in the Forums ;-)

Nice Weekend @ All !

Perhaps each idea, needs to get it's own discussion forum. A lot of ideas.
    Long ago I was part of the following clans.
    H.E. Brotherhood ---> C.S.M ---> P.I.M.P
    Quant

Quote Originally Posted by necrocon View Post
    Perhaps each idea, needs to get it's own discussion forum. A lot of ideas.
    I agree with this, but i also agree with Iron Man and what he is saying, we do need a new Tutorial System for sure, being a new player myself i did the tutorial and got so confused with everything that went on. Signs and such things i think would be a good idea, what harm can it do to someone who is capped anyway?

We really do need something for new players to ease them into Neocron, i dont care what anyone says about that. I dont mean to sound so blunt but starting as a new player it got so annoying to start and always asking questions and such things.

I still think NPC would be a good idea, i have lots of ideas of things that should be added or removed from Neocron to make this game better. I have spoken to a lot of people in game, a lot of new people have been and gone because of how Neocron is right now!

At the end of the day i think my main point is, changes need to be made to get new people to Neocron! There is millions of people who dont know about it, myself and Iron Man have been helping a lot of new people with the game as it stands. We had about 4-5 new people in clan as well and they have just gone into thin air at this moment in time because of how the game is setup at current.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12