former king of saturn

Default Community Exploration: Soullight Penal System - Phase 2/5

Welcome to phase 2 of my 5 step plan to make your wiener more attractive to schnitzels. Thanks to everyone who participated in phase 1.

Last week we learned that while many people care about a subject, few take the time to read and understand. Fewer still follow directions and give concise information. We also learned that these are the subjects people most care about relating to the faults of the SL system at this current time:

1) Clan wars declared in CityCom have no tangible impact on gameplay.

2) Returning to 'good' standing is too easy.

3) -Negative SL gameplay is not robust.

4) Returning from 'bad' standing can discourage play.

5) SL system has a clear progressive penalty structure with no clear redemption (progressive or not) structure

And as a backup:
    6) System doesn't care who started the fight

So... Phase 2. This is where we hope to understand the problem that was defined in Phase 1. What is it about the problem that makes it a problem? Why is that a problem? Why is That a problem? What is THAT a problem? You get it. You're smart, you play Neocron and have a good Con setup.

Please state which of the aforementioned issues you are addressing.
    -Example:
    @Returning from 'bad' standing can discourage play.
    I KNO RITE LUL I ALTF$ MAEK NEW ACCT

That said--
    Why is that (that thing, from number 1) a problem?

former king of saturn

@Clan wars declared in CityCom have no tangible impact on gameplay.
    It's a problem because clans with legitimate reasons to dislike one-another, who both like their faction should not be forced to look at "changing sides."
    It's a problem because small community = few clans = you're likely to run into a clan that is going to want to fight you against your will or not.

@-Negative SL gameplay is not robust.
    You can't GR. Not even to an OP your clan owns that you just helped take.
    No player community exists to accept the 'evil' players. Factions be damned, -100 sl players should be able to band together.
    No badass perks. Every rpg with an option for a high or low road has consequences good and bad.

@Returning from 'bad' standing can discourage play.
    10 minutes to go -50. 6 hours getting back to +5. Nuff said.

@SL system has a clear progressive penalty structure with no clear redemption (progressive or not) structure
    There are no 'regain SL' missions, or 'rehabilitation runs' one can embark upon. The path to redemption is unclear and pointless. Running missions for my faction doesn't exactly feel like a community service.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    @Clan wars declared in CityCom have no tangible impact on gameplay.
    It's a problem because clans with legitimate reasons to dislike one-another, who both like their faction should not be forced to look at "changing sides."
    It's a problem because small community = few clans = you're likely to run into a clan that is going to want to fight you against your will or not.
    I agree with everything you say here. There should be the ability to set a KOS policy for a clan so that SL is not affected when not in a war zone regardless of faction. Ideally this shouldn't be the case and it 'should' be all faction based but with low pops it needs to be reworked. I believe this would encourage more in city PvP (PP zones for example) as the SL hit wouldn't be an issue.

The rest of what you say makes sense but I have no comment as I haven't experienced it yet.
    NAT/New Dawn - Magnasan/Magnazan/Magthaman/Pipe Hitter - Saturn Forever!

1. Think you nailed it

2. It΄s easy and mind dulling. Endless repetitions of running from citycom, to one guy, then to another guy does nothing for the gaming experience. And how does getting a few chemicals and some blueprints make you a model citizen again?

3. I fully accept that low SL would be unwanted in city controlled areas, but worldwide rejection from the GR system leaves you horribly limited in your movements. There is absolutely no point in playing as an evil character, no missions, no items, no areas to gain access to, no extra traders you can buy from, no criminal brotherhood, no special status (apart from copbots shooting you and showing up on the ncpd list), no special abilities. One would assume certain factions would have use for seedy characters to do their dirty work, work too dirty for the clans belonging to their faction.

4. Mindnumbing and boring, not ideal in any game. A small amount of reckless fun leads to hours of boring repetetiveness without any challenge to it.

6. There is a penalty for both winning and losing a fight you didn΄t start. Pick your poison, there is no other alternative.
    I AM IRON MAN

Original Plasma Wave Rider

I See Blue/Estimated Prophet/Big Five/Big Six/Big Seven/Wreckless/Gift of Anger/Pure Pyro/Undead Constructor
    17th, Wolf Pack and LGBT

Seller of rares and imps

Formerly of Nordic NCPD/Crackheads/NCAT/FF/BRTF/DOY

former king of saturn

Lost internet last night. Will have thread #3 posted this evening.

former king of saturn

Thought about this more today. This type of exercise (the format) doesn't require more than one person to complete. While it is desirable to have multiple contributors, it is not entirely necessary.
    That said - I would like additional responses so this doesn't turn into Divide's SL system. This thread will remain until next Monday 11/3.

One question about "setting someone kos". This is a mutually agreement to avoid SL loss, alright?

So do you really trust a person which you had set to KoS to don't revoke this KoS-state while you kill him just to save your SL?

Nevertheless
    /STICKED
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    One question about "setting someone kos". This is a mutually agreement to avoid SL loss, alright?

So do you really trust a person which you had set to KoS to don't revoke this KoS-state while you kill him just to save your SL?

Nevertheless
    /STICKED
    If it is something you have to do through a Cityterm, it would be pretty hard to do, when you notice that you're loosing a fight.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    If it is something you have to do through a Cityterm, it would be pretty hard to do, when you notice that you're loosing a fight.
    Okay, something like an indicator for KoS'ed players would be cool. We already had implemented a such feature for clan mates.
    Zoltan
    Management • Development • Server Administration
    Neocron Support Team

»What do you hear? - Nothing but the rain. «

»I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if hundreds of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.« - server crash

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT​​

It was nice to see this sort of system exploration brought about from the community perspective. Is there any more input here? We're aware that the existing SL system is not fit for purpose and are eager to hear (and discuss!) your thoughts.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team

»I'm in a glass case of emotion!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

former king of saturn

I actually completed this exercise on my own after somehow missing the fact that it got additional posts. I'll bring it back to this point after the new year. I'm travelling beginning tomorrow for a while and won't be able to orchestrate until I'm back and settled.