Default Proposal for a new cannon

from my tests (raising up new chars all the time) i got the impression that all weapons are available in the pistols, rifles, psi (drones are a bit weak at start, i'd rather use fists) line, for a nice progression in skill levels, while theres a gap at cannons/heavy weapons.

starting with the all-too-powerful TL 3 grenade launcher, you'll work your way to the TL 23 or switch to the high-tech TL 19 laser cannon. the TL 10 flamer is quite hard to use, and only a few people understand the importance of handgrenades in NC. it would be easier, and more appealing for the new player, to have a single-shot low-tech alternative gun. at TLs like 12, 44 and 72. Here it is:

1669.png

Yes, right, thats the ion cannon, which could be recoloured and reused (and refitted with new sound fx), as a non-rare, lowtech "howitzer" or "mortar", straight shooting, easy to handle (good aiming), medium range, not too much damage, slowly firing (new) shrapnell charges (fire, piercing, explosive, uranium, like other low-tech guns). the gun should be easy to implement by the dev tem (later this year) and boost playing fun for tanks and heavy PEs.

what do you think?

I wouldnt call it a mortar or a howitzer as theyre completely different to one another and the weapon you describe in a direct fire role just sounds like a typical grenade launcher already in the game.

Essentially it looks like youre asking for a reskinning of the grenade launcher, I dont see what other purpose this would fill. If you wanted a recoilless rifle for example that would look smart, but theyre vehicle mounted anyway.

I like the idea of a good discussion though so props to you for that. Id like to see some form of automatic grenade launcher in the game though, or a better working rocket launcher.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    If you wanted a recoilless rifle for example that would look smart, but theyre vehicle mounted anyway.
    Carl Gustaf

Sure, bridging the gap sounds nice but i'm not seeing it with your idea yet? How is the gunplay supposed to be like with that gun? Is it AoE or non? A slow-firing no-AoE gun that punches holes in rats?
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

a low-tech direct-firing cannon, an alternative to the lasers. non aoe. shooting at things. a gun to use where aoe/grenades isnt perfect, line in open space (i.e. cyclops at the MB bunker) or very narrow places (i.e. cellars, basements).

Bedroom Armour Keyboard Sword Load_HeavyLoad's Avatar

like the gatlin cannon?

single shot (like a laser or plasma wave, or ion), not burst (like gatlin or plasma).

Like the street rifles?

Quote Originally Posted by Reaction77 View Post
    Like the street rifles?
    From what i gathered, yes. An H-C equivalent to those.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places

or a 9mm colt. or a shotgun.

Clustershot shotgun from defiance game?
    250px-VBI_CS-X_Cluster_Shot.png
    Shoots blobs like grenade launcher, but they explode on impact.

I've noticed this for years too. Either we pull something down or we make something new.

I always thought a hip-fired 50 cal heavy machine gun might be something new players might like.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dribble Joy View Post
    ...50 cal heavy machine gun...
    i havent thought of that. should be fun, too (i myself am somewhat more into single shots than bursts, but thats just my thing, so..)

Quote Originally Posted by Torg View Post
    i havent thought of that. should be fun, too (i myself am somewhat more into single shots than bursts, but thats just my thing, so..)
    Well... some sort of beefed up Anti-materiel Rifle might suit the tank.

This is true, that is a pretty huge gap. Yeah there is the soldier tree TL 10 Flame thrower, but that is pretty much trash, even if you max your HC, as well as your Weapon Lore, you still have to pretty much hug the target to get a lock... It really isn't the most effective bridge item at all. It can't be researched, the quality isn't great, but hey the one I got was 4 slotted... (cry) lol
    Long ago I was part of the following clans.
    H.E. Brotherhood ---> C.S.M ---> P.I.M.P
    Quant

I've never really noticed the gap, levelling a tank always seems to go very fast for me. Cannons are the only weapon to get access to AoE right from the start, this makes up for the TL gap and then some. Just kill spiders in the PP sewer and you'll get to the next launcher in no time at all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast