Quote Originally Posted by Faid View Post
    We need to fix the clan war function in neocron. How can I fight all day at outposts against a clan who Is allied with my clans faction then not fight them in the city? Clan war would fix this problem.
    *Searches the Like button* Hum well cannot find it, however I like that idea, but we have to dig through the code to have a look at how broken it is. We will put it on the todo list.
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

former king of saturn

Sounds like a good idea, but I can already imagine ways to exploit it. Plus, it doesn't solve the root of the problem. Sometimes it is out of your control who you kill regardless of your pre-planning. The other day, I was bumrushed by a friendly (in a clan I consider friendly beyond the simple faction alignment) and then I had to make the decision to accept death or a huge SL hit.

That isn't good gameplay.

Many people prefer to take a SL hit over death, which makes it stupid easy to have a batch of 'kill me' characters with 100 sl in different factions just so you can set people up to go red. Clan wars won't fix that. People will still exploit the gaps in coverage and the argument will just morph into its new variant.

The system needs to be less convoluted, not more. More rules only makes it more difficult. Fewer, more defined and balanced rules, with respect to the fact that SL negotiation is stateless, will tighten up the process in more ways than one. Not to mention, the coding commitment and time to release are both significantly reduced.

/edit:
    The current SL system applied to RL:
    You are walking through a rough spot in NYC with many unsavory characters around you. Approaching you is a 15 year old kid with a mind to join a gang and a target in his eyes for initiation.
    He gets closer and pulls a gun on you. Just before he pulls the trigger in front of his homeboys, you belch so loudly that you explode his head like Chuck Norris would.

That's self defense dawgs. You shouldn't take a 100 sl hit because he was 0/2 and had 100 soullight himself. It's not your fault the dumbass got the idea in his head, no matter how much Torg says stfu I'm here to impede real progress and make large posts asking for new support class shit because we're in the middle of a different initiative that isn't relevant to my interests.
    Last edited by Divide; 06-09-14 at 19:09.

Okay, so lets take a look at your example. You talk about the guy having high soul-light, and killing someone else.

You say the options are to die, or to kill them and accept a huge soul-light loss. So it's completely out of your ability to avoid the confrontation, or the killing, and get to a location which is safe, such as protected by police (cop bots) and I'll play into that because, well, you might not be the kind of individual who likes to run. Or perhaps you're not in a location that you can get to some assistance.

Doesn't the loss of soullight also apply to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    ...Plus, it doesn't solve the root of the problem. ...
    so you want to change the rules (game mechanics) according to your style of playing. i just doubt that is going to happen. you want NC to be more like counter-strike, i want to to be less like counter-strike. you want the game to fit your ideas, i want the game to fit the ideas of many different people. including yours.

former king of saturn

I haven't played Counter Strike since before I played neocron. I don't yearn for CS in any way, nor do I have a desire to see the game become a respawnfest where you buy your weapons 3 seconds after you load in to the game. Quit putting extremist views on people other than yourself. Your perception of others is shallow and jaded by your own illusion of martyrdom.

saadow,
    If a player has 100 sl and you have 10 sl, or maybe -5 sl, they know they are safe to attack with regard to their soullight. If a player with -5 sl kills an allied player, in an outskirt sector, with 100 sl because of a forced confrontation, the result would be something likely to the tune of -40 or lower which restricts use of GR's and is auto-aggro for most protective npc's. If a 100 sl player kills an allied -5 sl player, they will likely lose something between 5-10 and be perfectly safe. Do you honestly believe that to be good game play? A 100sl player can confront a -5sl and kill him probably 10-15 times before going negative, let alone red. A -5 would be -100sl himself after killing the 100sl 3 times.
    Last edited by Divide; 07-09-14 at 05:09.

Yes, actually that makes perfect sense to me, because A) The player with negative soullight has that amount for a reason. B) The person with one hundred soullight has that for another reason. We'll call them players A and B

If player B attacks player A, I would see their act as being a good samaritan. You're dealing with an individual who has aggregated negative karma for themselves through their actions, careless or not. This was immediately seen in a much more ruthless manner in the game Mortal Online. People abused this system to do something called blue blocking, but truly it was your own fault for hitting the blue player, if you weren't aware of your surroundings, and didn't take into account the -type- of area you were in, hitting that player was a death sentence, intentional or not. You learned quick not to fall for it.

Look, killing anyone should be an act of gravitas and weight, on one hand, killing a player with little or negative soullight is just that, it's killing a dangerous element that disregards the lives of other people. We call that a hero.

Killing someone when you have a lot of soullight, is not an action taken lightly. If you kill someone with a lot of soullight themselves, well, you just murdered someone who has shown significant worth to the world to be regarded as such. I don't think it's reasonable to consider even an accident as being an exception, If you can't control yourself and your environment in the battlefield, why should you be on the battlefield at all? The same thing with a vehicle. If you lose control of your vehicle and hit a pedestrian, you're at fault: you lost control of the vehicle.

So, basically if you have low soullight, you should expect that your actions will come back and haunt you. Accidents or not. If you have high soullight, you've garnered a significant karmic balance in your favor that if you kill someone who has very little soullight, the impact is minimal to you. That certainly makes perfect sense to me.

I'm gonna side with Divide when it comes to SL hits you get when you are attack by others. It can be quite difficult to get away from attacks in certain areas, and for certain classes. So if you travel outside safe zones without an LE, you would have to make the decision that Divide talks about fairly regularly. I do however realise that it will be difficult to implement any check to this. However, the idea that a model citizen can just go on a rampage to kill non-model citisens is absurd. They should probably be punished even more, since their bloodlust would be all the more shocking to society, lowering their status quickly. And therefore their loss of soullight should be even bigger. From a RP standpoint at least, which seems to be what you are arguing from.

I see the potential SL hits as somewhat discouraging PvP outside opfighting. For many of the PvPers who seeks smaller fights, like in Pepper park, there just aren't enough people in enemy factions to feed the bloodlust. So the current numbers on the server make the faction system as it is unfriendly to small scale PvP. I am one of those who feel factions should atter more, and I will very rarely kill allied faction members without provocation. And I think there should be a penalty to friendly fire, though maybe not as harsh as it is at the moment. I mean, hours and hours of missions for soullight can be canceled out in minutes. The penalty is disproportionate. However, if people spread out more when it comes to factions, as well as some factions acquiring some more enemies, some of this would be sorted. Also, small scale PvPers should move to the more criminal/non-establishment faction, since they tend to have more enemies. So some of this can be fixxed by the population itself.

Another problem with the SL system is that it tends to be unfair to certain classes, such as tank, who can neither hack the belts their enemies drop if they want any aim worth speaking of, or stealth to retrieve their belts. Spies however, even with the now often worked true sight sanctum, have it much easier. Spies for that matter can also just stealth away from allied attacks, getting them out of the problem Divide mentioned. PEs to a lesser extent.

The pay extra for no SI upon death idea I see as difficult as well, as it would favour the defending clan in Op-fights. Where is the need for resurrection when you can just bounce back free of SI in the underground. Even if an implant or 2 fell out, the clan could just have a poker there, sorting people out so fast you would hardly notice they were gone in the first place. The attacking clan however, would be reliant on a poker in plaza 1, then having to wait off SI as they gr to the genrep closest to the fight, and then run to the fight. Massive difference, and massive advantage.

I also think there should be an automatic recovery of soullight, after all, last years sins are easily forgotten in the dog eat dog-world of Neocron. Wouldn't it be natural that someone with low sl who stops doing bad things will drop off the NCPD radar? I mean, I wouldn't want the gain to go any higher than say -16 or -20, but enough to drop you off the ncpd list.

Oh well, that's all for now, hope the game is back up =)
    I AM IRON MAN

Original Plasma Wave Rider

I See Blue/Estimated Prophet/Big Five/Big Six/Big Seven/Wreckless/Gift of Anger/Pure Pyro/Undead Constructor
    17th, Wolf Pack and LGBT

Seller of rares and imps

Formerly of Nordic NCPD/Crackheads/NCAT/FF/BRTF/DOY

former king of saturn

Quote Originally Posted by saadow View Post
    ...snip...
    So what you are saying is, it is not only ok, but expected that a fully capped 100 SL player should kill the 0/2 noobs that are created with 10 SL because it is low?

Without trying to come off as a complete ass-- Haven't you been playing this game for about 3-4 weeks in total now? Do you have a character with an LE out? Have you PVP'd at all? What is your depth of personal experience with PVP, and the soullight system in Neocron?

If player B attacks player A, I would see their act as being a good samaritan. You're dealing with an individual who has aggregated negative karma for themselves through their actions, careless or not.
    You may consider that individual to be a good samaritan, but the SL system clearly doesn't.

Look, killing anyone should be an act of gravitas and weight, on one hand, killing a player with little or negative soullight is just that, it's killing a dangerous element that disregards the lives of other people. We call that a hero.
    Again, why is it that the SL system punishes the 100 SL player for killing the allied -5 SL player if they are a hero?

I appreciate your thoughtful comments here, but I'm afraid your short tenure doesn't lend you much, if any, expertise or ethos.

now, for real, Divide: what you are lobbying for is easier PvP, fighting with a smaller danger of penalties. fine. i believe everybody is ok with the idea as such. and NC has a lot of battle areas available, namely all outpost zones. its just, youd appreciate fighting within city limits, too. even among friendlies. hm, why not. the tiny problem here is: how would you want to regulate non-consentual PvP? Imagine a situation where i'm a capped tank, while youre a half-baked allied or neutral un-LEd PE, we meet in pepper park, and bang, youre dead. What penalties would you like to confront me with, for that act of senseless violence? how would you balance that? would you rather get rid of SL and have everyone keep the LE in until woc'ed? are you interested in the whole situation, or is your individual fun at PvP all you care of? please tell us.

former king of saturn

What I'm lobbying for is multi-fold:
    1- Acknowledgement that the existing SL system is plagued with many, many flaws.
    2- Fleshing out the flaws, one-by-one, and determining what the root of the flaw is.
    3- Actions that make sense to the community and devs to address each of the identified flaws in the game's best interest.
    4- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGL0qGk5lA I'm the defendant, you're the prosecutor, SL is drunk duo being questioned. Maybe this should have been my first and only comment.

you chose not to discuss but keep making various claims. a part of your rights as a free citizen, i suppose. good thing i never signed any paper so i'd have to take any of that serious. my conclusion: you got an idea, and cling to it, ignoring whatever else there may be. i believe this will work pretty good in both directions.

former king of saturn

I'm not prepared to launch an entire revamp of the SL system by myself at this point. It's not that easy as you well know. Solving a problem is more about understanding the issue than blindly setting forth any type of change, which you both seem to think I want, and expect of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    So what you are saying is, it is not only ok, but expected that a fully capped 100 SL player should kill the 0/2 noobs that are created with 10 SL because it is low?
    I'm a 16 soullight noob. I've never taken out my LE. The LE is very well explained in the beginning of the game in the MC5 area, it's not entirely easy to get out of MC5, without either knowing what's going on, or having previous knowledge.

If you're a noob, or savage murderer, with 10 soullight without an LE in, you made that choice, no matter what.

You put yourself in that system, you exposed yourself to that responsibility. Nobody forced you to remove your LE, and I'm sure if for some reason it was forced, either game bug or other serious problem, then I'm certain you could go to GM's and staff for help.

Your entire example is just not possible unless a new player was tricked into removing it--which hey, if they're new and still at a lower level, they can put it back in--or a person who knowingly removed the LE to enter this system of checks and balances.

Nobody needs to be in a clan, you get plenty of support from your faction and fellow faction members, if that's any reason to remove your LE, the only reason to join a clan is the expectation of getting involved with PVP, as I've never seen any clan focused strictly on RP and being active, which would likely be the only reason I ever remove my LE. (Spoiler, I'm not removing my LE. Period, end of sentence.)

And really, all your closing statement above was directed to me as Ad Hominem. You're considering my entire argument invalid because of my experience with PVP. The conversation encompasses all players of all skill levels, because everyone is going to have to deal with what you are actively looking to change.

former king of saturn

And really, all your closing statement above was directed to me as Ad Hominem. You're considering my entire argument invalid because of my experience with PVP. The conversation encompasses all players of all skill levels, because everyone is going to have to deal with what you are actively looking to change.
    I'm considering your entire understanding of the soullight system, PVP, and Neocron in general to be so shallow at this point in time (3-4 wks in) that your authority on such subjects is non-existent. Your contribution is appreciated nonetheless.

And really, all your closing statement above was directed to me as Ad Hominem. You're considering my entire argument invalid because of my experience with PVP.
    This is not how ad hominems work. Refuting a persons qualification on a topic by identifying inappropriate expertise is not an baseless insult. Its simply telling how it is.

However, since there is no set entry level to this discussion and any such would undoubtedly lead to a circlejerk conversation...
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast