Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    I take your point but I would like to hear his response, either officially or otherwise.

To me I see a brutally simple development plan for nc but I believe that that aim is not shared by the dev team, or at least it doesnt appear to be going in that direction. Personally I would like to see that change dramatically and very soon.
    I would take this as a more unofficial response

First of all: technically it will be hard to make a transition from the current pace/speed of combat in Neocron to a Quake like pace/speed, the performance requirements and the bandwidth management need to fulfill different requirements. Neocron has been written at a time where resources in general were very limited and this affected many decisions in the management of bandwidth, resources and such. Most of the concepts and ideas were great to overcome the difficulties of that time, but nowadays it does not fit modern requirements of mondern gamers and gameplay, because it does not scale well and reliably.

Second: gameplaywise Neocron just isn't yaQ (yet another Quake). It is something different, a game with its own look and feel. A game with different combat mechanics. Although these mechanics have been partially born out of the technical requirements at that time, they are unique. They make Neocron's combat unique and different from Quake-like games. I (and probably the rest of the team also) want to keep this spirit, this uniqueness. Neocron would just not be the same anymore when being Quake-like.

Third: if you want to focus on PvP without any penalties, with a fast respawn time, than this does not fit anymore into the MMORPG part of MMORPGF/TPS. An MMORPG is also about the need to team up to complete certain tasks. *I think* the Neofrag should be changed to be more Quake-like and more "Minigame"-like. However, with the limited manpower we currently have, the project Neofrag-Revamp has to wait sadly.
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

To the Neofrag thing. Has War games ever been finished or have you found anything about it? If yes, does it include other unknown maps? =)

To my topic: We'll see how things will change.
    Keiner lacht ohne Hoder!

Envy is the highest form of recognition

Im gonna be honest and say I completely disagree with your points Alduin but I thank you for taking the time to post them.

I dont think the game would change for the worst if death was made to be less of a chore. It would only have benefits in my mind.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Im gonna be honest and say I completely disagree with your points Alduin but I thank you for taking the time to post them.

I dont think the game would change for the worst if death was made to be less of a chore. It would only have benefits in my mind.
    sorry buddy i dont agree if you didnt have imps to poke or si to wait off, then it would be gring in over and over, Whats the point of killing someone if they come straight back over and over again wheres the fun in that, no time for ooc smack talk either

Quote Originally Posted by NAPPER View Post
    sorry buddy i dont agree if you didnt have imps to poke or si to wait off, then it would be gring in over and over, Whats the point of killing someone if they come straight back over and over again wheres the fun in that, no time for ooc smack talk either
    Well, imho an exponential penalty would be a middle way.
    Now, first death throws you completely out of the race and thats annoying and discouraging. Especially if there is nobody around to help or support you.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Well, imho an exponential penalty would be a middle way.
    Now, first death throws you completely out of the race and thats annoying and discouraging. Especially if there is nobody around to help or support you.
    1on1 action yes very annoying but thats what neofrag is for.
    OP fights I believe its good if we were to die or the other clan regroup and try again or get ppus to rezz and make the whole fight seem more enjoyable

Napper youre mixing op fights with city fights here.

The two cannot be mixed as they are as different as chalk and cheese.

Op fights require a number of skilled players working together to defeat a common enemy - ie the other team. Akin to a sports game where two teams of players pit their skills against one another.

Op fights are consensual pvp - you go to the op KNOWING youre going to fight.

City fights are more like a kick around on the street with your "mates".

Removing these penalties in City fights and making them MORE readily accessible and removing the penalties of death will only ENCOURAGE more of these fights. If death is less of a ball ache more people will pull out the LE and join in.

I can see your point about op fights where the other clan just gring in constantly is bad but lets face it, thats what happens all the time anyway. Every op fight I have been to has had one team or the other ASKING the other clan if theyre coming back as they want more fights, again this is no bad thing. More fights are always good irrespective of where they happen.

As for neofrag, come on dude really! Everyone here uses NF for consensual duels and everyone else stands around and watches. NF needs a massive overhaul if it is to be used in the way it was potentially intended (arena style deathmatch - quake in a box).

City fights fit in the middle of this - it is non-consensual pvp in an area DESIGNED for that very purpose. Nobody wants to get ganked in the wastelands while out levelling but people DO want small scale fights in an area where they can test their skills alone without having to wait for the polite etiquette of waiting their turn to duel. People who go to Pepper park go there either because they need something (from the stores) or because they want to fight. More often than not they want to fight. If not there is the LE.

Sometimes you just want a quick fix of pvp. Pepper Park provides that. You turn up, you check the reds, you check your ammo and you go in blasting. It doesnt matter who is there, they are fair game. It fits in with the lore - pepper park is a dangerous place.

You cannot (in my mind) change pvp dynamics when treating it as a single entity, if you split it down like this then it makes more sense to have areas to fight in.

More fights = more fun.

Cant edit previous post!

Losing just shortens that fun for everyone because the guy who lost is less likely to want to come back. He doesnt want to come back for 2 reasons usually - either it is impossible to win (more people, too many ppus, just got owned) or cant come back (cant get pokes, lost an integral item). If these penalties were lessened it would make everything better. Everybody wants to win and they want to enjoy their victory I get that but nobody thinks about the time when THEY end up losing and getting pissed off etc. They all think about visiting these penalties upon their opponents yet they expect those opponents to suck it up and come back anyway, to provide them with entertainment. Im not saying spoonfeed people but if you want more fun then you need to cater to the lowest common denominator, in this case that means catering to the noobiest people. If you want them to get better and stick around with the game then you need to make pvp easier on them, or at least make losing easier on them.

If you dont you get left with "hardcore elitists" who are kings of an empty server. This has happened several times already in neocrons lifetime.

I would be happier with a neocron where I can turn the game on and fight for almost every minute of my game time until I log off again. Thats my vision for nc. I dont want down time and all the other bollocks. If I can find a game that does that for me then it has my vote hands down.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123