I would suggest that everything in nc needs dragging kicking and screaming into the new millenium but a complete overhaul from the ground up at this point would undo all of the balancing work already done.

This idea is a radical shift in the design of what NC is. I have seen it work to success in other games admittedly but right now with the current game I think the best thing to do is continue along the current path as progress is being made and stuff is getting better.

Changing to a system such as this might be nice in theory but the practicality of it could open up a whole world of hurt for the poor guys trying to code it. I think the core game play of nc is fine the way it is. Sure there are some glaring holes in it - poor mc5 for noobs, pvp imbalance at cap and mob imbalance at all levels but these are surely numbers on a spreadsheet. These can be adjusted I think "relatively" easily at least in comparison to an entire new skill system.

As Walker pointed out - how would a tank ever cap his con? Stand staring at a Grim Chaser for days on end? XP gain is the first thing that would need to be looked at, EVERYTHING would need to speed up ten times over in terms of level gain. Then youd have the problems of PE-Ocron (yeah it could finally happen) rising up on top of that. Lower level caps means more easily achievable.

Then there is the tradeskiller issue. How would they level some of their "other" skills. There is the endless grind of not being allowed to macro so the fact is you would HAVE to stand there for days rather than going rhinoing or droning as you can do now.

By the OP's interpretation we would level our constructors via actually constructing and nothing more.

The timesink aspect puts me off most of all - I dont have the time, patience or inclination to play a version of nc that would dictate I need to level up in this way.

I do not think it is a bad idea, but rather a bad choice for NC. It worked beautifully in my limited experience of UO. I understood how to do stuff by doing it but I only played that for a few months and then moved on to Quake 2. The levelling experience there, for me at least was much simpler.