Cool THN Online - UPDATED 11/03/2014

Right as some of you have gathered via Facebook and Twitter, the THN is offline due to a hardware failure.

This is due to a disk in the RAID1 mirror failing this morning. The server will not be brought back online until the disk is replaced. At this time I don't have an ETA for when the disk will be replaced, since a new disk needs to be purchased and installed.

The one bit of good news I can offer, is the data on the THN is all backed up, so nothing (In theory) should be lost, and I have since taken another backup this afternoon to be safe.

Don't eat that yellow snow

Thanks for the heads up. However, I'm wondering why one disk failing in a RAID1 mirror causes trouble for the server? Normally a RAID1 array has one good copy of the data even if one disk fails completely. Is it because you want to be on the safe side and replace the disk before the other one has chance to fail and force a restore from the backup?

You are correct, the server should be able to carry on with a disk missing from the. Although the server did lock up at one point.

Although the 2nd disk in the mirror is fine *touchwood* I don't want to put too much strain on the server until it is replaced, so the disk intensive stuff like the web server and DB server are stopped. Plan is to get the disk in, let the mirror re-sync, check things over and bring the server when it's ready.

former king of saturn

Sorry about the hard luck, Brammers! Your array probably shut itself down to protect against total failure. Many highpoint controllers do that by default. We need to get you mirrored/proxied like tpb... NC needs th.org like a crackhead needs $20 to get his fix.

TechHaven Network *************** nEo-1664's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    Sorry about the hard luck, Brammers! Your array probably shut itself down to protect against total failure. Many highpoint controllers do that by default. We need to get you mirrored/proxied like tpb... NC needs th.org like a crackhead needs $20 to get his fix.
    We're working on it
    The future is unknown until the present reveals it.
    [ Tech Haven Network ][ Item DB ][ Rares DB ][ NC-Wiki ][ NC2.2 Download ][ Fansites & Resources ]
    [00:07:39] [+Danae] the other guys are the tech wizards, i just find things :P i'm like google with boobs!

Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

Not sure if it would help due to not knowing what hardware you're running or your location(ship time)but I thought I would offer... I have six new in sealed boxes 300 GB axiom 2.5 inch sas drives.(https://m.cdw.com/shop/products/HP-D...-SAS-2/1723330)
    I have no use for them and they just sit on my shelves, you're more than welcome to any or all if they would help you. I'm sure you've already placed an order for a replacement but I just thought I would throw that out there since you guys do so much for the community it's the least I could do.

Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.

<3 best post ever.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Something is wrong.

Something is wrong.
    G1v3 m3 d0ubl3 XP!

Back to topic: sad to hear this! Hope you are back to normal soon! Whish you all the best!
    Alduin
    Development
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»After the patch is before the patch!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Oh noes, im so glad ive finished the crahn epic 1 day before. Would haven driven me insane i believe.

Hope to see THN on again asap. gogo Brammers.
    Keiner lacht ohne Hoder!

Envy is the highest form of recognition

Something is wrong.
    You are right, something is wrong. People are wanting the wrong thing. Screw free candy, forget double XP, I demand BEER!

First all thanks to @hudsonbeck for the offer of the HD's, a replacement HD has been sourced I may still take your offer up though. For everyone's information, the server is a R200 Dell commission in 2010 IIRC. It's a shared server between myself and 10 other users from my Uni days. Out of the users on the server, I think I would consider myself one of the heavy users of the system with the THN. As for the location, it's in the UK at Maidenhead.

As I said a new HD has been sourced, but it's going to take a while to get to the UK, which is something, I'm not happy about. However I did order a new VPS as a temporary solution for hosting one of my other sites yesterday which is now running. It should have enough power to host the THN if a little slower.

At this time, a copy of the THN is transferring to the temporary server, and I need to setup the DB's and update the DNS. So I'm hoping to bring back parts of the site tonight.

Now to help me to bring things back online quicker, I would like you guys to tell me which 2 things are the most essential parts of the THN which you would like back first. I want to see 10 responses to this thread, otherwise I'll assume the THN isn't important and head down the pub instead for the evening.

Your choices are

1. Forums
    2. Stats DB
    3. Items DB
    4. Wiki
    5. THN news
    6. Rares DB
    7. Bram's dogtag (For options not listed here)
    8. nEo-1664's dogtag (For other options not listed here)
    Last edited by Brammers; 11-03-14 at 16:05. Reason: Added Rares DB

TANGENT WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Xeno LARD's Avatar

Items DB, Wiki and epic guides (which I think are in the wiki? Can't remember )

Don't eat that yellow snow

Items DB, Rares DB for me.

item db wiki
    Keiner lacht ohne Hoder!

Envy is the highest form of recognition

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast