Default Is a semi-hybrid possible today?

It's been years since I've been in-game and I have no idea of all the changes and such. So I ask, in today's configuration of NC, is it feasible to be a primarily APU with some PPU abilities. If so, what level PPU spells is best to shoot for?
    In the past I remember each had a negative effect on the other... Increasing PPU decreased apu. But things have changed so much since I last played... Even the PPU spells are different.

Thanks for the input and hope to maybe start playing again although it appears Saturn and everything else is gone so I guess I will be starting from 0/2 a cross the board.

no hybrids are gone im afraid. Done and dusted a long time ago.

Monks generally are the most broken class currently. Apu is good for levelling and general PVE, PPU is obviously still good for op fighting and everything else but takes an age to level unless you go apu first and lom.

Saturn went at the end of NC1, circa September 2005.

Probably best to start over from scratch in terms of everything and pick it back up as you go along.

P.s Welcome back - always good to see an old player return. If you need any help getting started just look for my clan tag or me in game.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

Thanks. I always enjoyed the monk class and mostly prefer solo or small group when leveling or farming. The hybrid allowed that which I enjoyed. Never really liked playing PPU . I wish they would have found a way to 'balance' them.
    Not sure what I'll do at this point. I don't know if I can stomach the grind on another class.

I'm sorry... Not sure why I said Saturn. I guess it was just a flashback from the good old days of Saturn and Pluto. I believe the last server I played was terra or something. I guess those are all gone and there is just Titan?

There have been many changes after all these years. The APU is not the fire & forget class/profession anymore now. Even the APU has to aim properly nowadays and keep LoS. If you enjoy that class you can still try it.
    It is possible but since it's a very weak class you will have to hide a lot in the beginning.
    If you have a friend who can play the baby PPU counterpart it's a lot of fun tho! I got 2 accs so I dual logged and supported myself while leveling both simultanously but thats quite difficult

Others spec some ppu in the beginning to support themselves until they can get some armor (especially the deflector belt) and use the nanite heal tool (another new thing). It's a fact that 99,99% of the people who want a PPU level as an APU to lom to PPU later, so it is possible of course to level that way. But as William said, a hybrid playstyle has not been possible for a long time now. That was before my time.

There are also other classes/professions who can support themselves rather well alone in the field. I like a hc Tank as a starting class cause it's a strong class, very independent, and okay to make some good money. Especially with the grenade launcher, and the laser cannon. If you are not into close combat a Droner is more suitable and quite easy to play, while making lots of money.

The people in game will be happy to help you out, providing guidance, resources, and trade skilling. Just ask on help or trade and they will be there. If they don't answer immediately you should keep asking, somebody will help you for sure.

Have fun

former king of saturn

Hybrids can't work because APUs dont. When APUs are functional again, you can be certain hybrids are around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    Hybrids can't work because APUs dont. When APUs are functional again, you can be certain hybrids are around the corner.
    In all brutal honesty, if the DPM balancing according to TL actually works accurately then there is no reason why the APU/PPU malus should stay in existence.

In that perfect world you could have Blessed Hybrids again as their defence should theoretically be akin to a PEs defence.

The big issue would be having PSI based armour vs Strength based armour. If they continued with PSI based armour then they would be as impregnable as the old hybrids with blessed buffs on top of high end armour. However if you included dex based armour for PEs and Spies (to counterbalance that PSI based armour) with equivalent bonuses then the average PE and Spy would far outclass the hybrid due to the higher damage output with an equivalent defence.

It would depend entirely on how you managed the armour I guess.

I would like to see hybrids make a return however, purely because it just gives another element to the pvp dynamic.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    I would like to see hybrids make a return however, purely because it just gives another element to the pvp dynamic.
    Yeah I would LOVE if they brought back hybrids (not that I would play one - I need my sweet, sweet guns ).
    It was very enjoyable to fight them pre-2.2 (although without bringing shitbuffing back, they hopefully wont be as powerfull as back then lol).
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Not sure why everyone is telling him that Hybrids don't work.. Cause they do, they just don't work the same way they used to. A PA swapping monk is viable, may not be the case in PvP, but they are perfectly viable from a PvE standpoint. @Hudsonbeck, a PA swapping monk is a monk that carries both PPU PA and APU PA in order to cast certain spells. You'll be able to cast Fire Apoc (rare) as well as Holy Shields (non-rare ones). It's possible, but you'll hafta go play with nskill
    TITAN
    Gunshift - Pistol PE
    Mushy Snugglebites - Pistol Spy
    Ender Reznik - Heavy Tank
    Will McAvoy - PPU

Quote Originally Posted by Gunshifty View Post
    Not sure why everyone is telling him that Hybrids don't work.. Cause they do, they just don't work the same way they used to.
    what gunshifty says. checking imps and setups at lower levels should be fun, too. its just that "monk-o-cron" is gone, and will never come back.

Sorry but I don't call that viable. I call it masochistic. Pa-swapping. Please just no.

Sorry but I don't call that viable. I call it masochistic. Pa-swapping. Please just no.
    Message for those not named William Antrim, please note how -------- someone has to be if they can't simply take one PA off and put one PA on. [sarcasm] Oh dear, it's SO HARD TO DO, OMG PLEASE NO! You're telling me I have to click and drag something from one box to another box?? And then omg omg omg, I have to drag a different item from that same box, into that other box?! I can't handle this.. and shucks, I really wanted to play a hybrid, but it's just too hard to do.. [/sarcasm]

followed by -> /set kill_self 1

----
    We could argue all day long if we wanted to about the word "viable" and how it applies to Neocron. But let's not.

Don't discredit it unless you've tried it. And don't cry about PA-swapping, there are plenty of other things to complain about other than PA-swapping.
    Last edited by Gunshifty; 27-02-14 at 17:09. Reason: Didn't want Nidhogg to claim I personally attacked someone
    TITAN
    Gunshift - Pistol PE
    Will McAvoy - PPU

HAHA

What a terrible post.

The masochism comes from needing extra transport to carry two pas, the weight of them and the lack of Piercing/Force due to said transport.

The fact that you then have to pay out for two valuable items when you can lose them on death and just the fact that you are pa-swapping every few minutes is annoying to me.

Your sarcasm is a pathetic attempt at something. I am not sure what exactly because all youre doing is getting yourself in trouble further.

Alternatively you could follow Mark Twains advice and say silent.

To the OP - if you think its viable to do the above then be my guest. My opinion is that its just a shit idea. This is a forum, a place to exchange opinions in a polite and genteel manner.

This is mine.

Thanks for yours Gunshifty.

What a terrible post.
    Personal attack on my opinion noted.

The masochism comes from needing extra transport to carry two pas, the weight of them and the lack of Piercing/Force due to said transport.
    You make it sound like we have 50 clips of ammo we need to carry around. You're a monk, you can buff yourself to get more transport if you want. I'm pretty sure OP has the brains and intelligence to realize that there are buffs which give you transport, namely, Support Booster 3. And if you read my post above, you'd realize that you can use Holy Shields (non rares), which implies that you can also cast Support Booster 3.

The fact that you then have to pay out for two valuable items when you can lose them on death and just the fact that you are pa-swapping every few minutes is annoying to me.
    There are ways of obtaining items besides paying for them. Finding a barter to help you purchase items is even one route. Trading is another. It isn't that bad as William says it is. The whole PA-swapping is annoying to William, and that's fine, it's his opinion.

Your sarcasm is a pathetic attempt at something. I am not sure what exactly because all youre doing is getting yourself in trouble further.
    My "attempt" at sarcasm was to poke fun at how much you seem to complain about the slightest things without directly saying it to you, William Antrim. The whole sarcasm post is an example of how a ridiculous it sounds for a player who wants to play hybrid, but can't due to some minor thing stopping them. The whole point is of this thread is that OP wants to play a hybrid. The difficulty of swapping a PA doesn't rest with you, it OP's (original poster's) decision to use it. Again, don't knock until you try it.

Alternatively you could follow Mark Twains advice and say silent.
    Clearly, you're allowed to personally attack me. Maybe Nidhogg doesn't get the reference, but basically for everyone else reading this, you're telling me to "stfu". Which is fine Go ahead and personally attack me. As stated by the single word located under your forum Name, you're a "Nobody".

Thanks for yours Gunshifty.
    You're welcome. Hopefully this time you can follow my post. I made it extremely easy to show how each talking point relates to your post.
    TITAN
    Gunshift - Pistol PE
    Will McAvoy - PPU

Thanks guys. I really appreciate strong discussion on both sides. It helps the decision process when you have information from many perspectives.

And don't worry, I'm it one to bitch if things get a little off topic and ask for the thread to be closed. Everything is related in some way and it's just nice to see discussion and interaction on the forum!

Lol glad to be able to help dude. Ignore the other guy.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast