Default IRC/Global in game chat merging

Just had a nifty idea, wouldn't it be cool if the custom Hypercom channels were all available on IRC as well. The advantages are pretty obvious, more people on help, monitoring Trade while you can't log in. The only downside is that there'd be more chatter, but if people keep rl stuff to OOC then that could be mitigated.

What do you guys think?
    http://www.synth-soft.com/ - NC Implant Calculator
    {{{{{{{{{{OHM}}}}}}}}}}

i would love to see hypercom and irc linked up.
    however for specific general channels only.

Hmm, I'm quite curious about this to be honest.

I feel like, that the #neocron channel would be totally spammed by all the ingame stuff going on. How would you handle that one? Create an #trade and #help where you could possible see the ingame chat going on?

If so, doesn't destroy it the advantages as you would have to join a couple of channels on IRC additionally? I like the ID on the first hand, but I'm thinking about how this could be done well. What do you think?

Having to join multiple IRC channels is not a problem, IRC is made for multiple channels, its practically the entire point of IRC.

I love the idea of Ingame IRC, i miss that in many games... To be honest, i haven't seen a game where it was implemented properly yet.

Channels such as Zone, Faction and Local should not and most likely will not be linked to IRC, as it would be possible for people to listen in on stuff that they shouldn't be able too.

Although, perhaps Clan chat could be merged to IRC as well, ofcourse it will be a passworded channel so non-clanners can't access it outside of the game.

Another thing, IRC is made to support several thousand people per channel, so even if the game suddenly got mega-huge populated, it would still be fine.

The biggest problem i can imagine with merging them, would be the possibility semi-intelligent chat/spam bots through IRC... Although, with as small a playerbase as it currently is, i doubt it will ever be a problem.

Merging ingame chat with IRC, is a great way to add support for outside the game chatting, instead of having to "invent"/make some system like a few other of the larger MMO's have. ( EQ2 and WoW is the ones that comes to mind )

TLDR;

DO IT!
    Last edited by dnatabar; 07-12-13 at 00:16.

Quote Originally Posted by Santo View Post
    If so, doesn't destroy it the advantages as you would have to join a couple of channels on IRC additionally? I like the ID on the first hand, but I'm thinking about how this could be done well. What do you think?
    you could have nickserv linked up somehow with NC's user database.
    then if you would use these channels (or irc server wide), you would need to identify first..

Which I feel is fine, though. So you think joining multiple channels is not an issue? For me it would be okay as well, but what's about "new users" or users not that deep with IRC?

I'd think this would be a "nice to have, yet not essential" addition, but only if it is made strictly a one way street: That is, to not allow outgame messages to be read ingame.

Anything that involves noteworthy time investment should be focussed towards increasing player populations. If you don't have to log on to share your wisdom with OOC, it will not encourage you to do so. Also, having outofgame chatter leak into the gameworld will not exactly be benefitial for immersion I would think.

On the other hand, making ingame activity visible in other places could have a benefit. To some degree this was already done by exposing general server and outpost activity. Exposing the public ingame chat (read only) on IRC would do no harm and may even encourage ppl to jump ingame. Same for push notification of new ingame mails, forums posts etc (that said - the whole citycom is a shipwreck imho).
    PHP Code:
    "Computer voice: Fatal system error in unit 13, gamma sector, cryo recreation phase has been interrupted.";

//answers
    set 4        "Ok, see you later";
    set 5        "You're boring me, piss off"

I agree with Ake'cj.

If i was idle in IRC i would want to be able to see Trade NC for the trading going on and help channel/ooc for the flame wars. Everything else would be irrelevant to me.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

2 way communication would be handy for the help channel.
    this way people on irc could help new people ingame.
    trading could also bennefit from this. you could actually respond and trade from irc.
    as for ooc.. its your general talk; so that could be linked to the current #neocron.

unlike i said before; a bot on irc could be a decent sollution.
    on irc the bot (named hypercom for example) could function as a bridge between ingame (read) and irc (write)
    in the hypercom what the bot reads in the appropriate channel it could write to the hypercom starting with a [irc] prefix.

Default Indeed

Bump, Bumpy, Bump, Bump

Please do not bump old threads.
    Bifrost
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»What's that coming over the hill? Is it a Warbot?«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • DISCORD • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT