Default promote the use of the faction channel...

hey there, everyone..
    i know it's not the most important of issues, but imo something that could improve the game any coding or testing at all. while talking to folks over the last year, one thing that came up repeatedly that was better in [insert here: beta/nc1/nc2/the olden days] was how factions mattered. and yes, i agree with that one. i remember a time a couple years back where you got ganked, gave a shout on the faction channel, and within minutes folks came to beat the living hell out of the ganker. or you needed a new gun, asked, and got help. or... you get the point.
    nowadays, one is lucky if anyone writes back a grumpy greeting if you say hello on aforementioned channel.
    so: promote the usage of the faction channel. say hello when you get online, do a little smalltalk, tell noobs (if you meet some, hell, there's really some new people ingame, saw half a dozen in the last few weeks) to use it if they need help and actually help them. give a shout if you get ganked, or if someone blocks your home turf, and respond if you get a shout like that.
    sounds simple, but srsly, i'm pretty sure this could help people identify with their faction, and move neocron a little bit in the right direction again.
    thanks for listening,
    julu
    --|current characters: ray leftfield | ash lipvig |--
    raindrops on roses | happy disney animals | this makes my parts hurt

Yes...and when will the clan-forum and the faction forum be back?

Its getting people to be a community that is the hard part. At the moment there are even the clans within the same faction that hate one another. When you have problems like that then it is hard to expect people to come together.

I totally see where you are coming from buddy but this is human psychology you are trying to contend with and truthfully I cannot see what sort of motivation you could offer other than unlocking the channel and asking the noobs to use it. However when you reach more people on help there is no need for the channel. The clans use voip, the noobs use help. Factions mean less and less with the increased use of voip in nc.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

former king of saturn

Agreed w/William. I don't know if it is the faction relation table (eg: if we move to a diff faction, will that screw up other friendly/enemy alignments?) that causes that sort of rift between clans of the same faction or if it is entirely personality (eg: people/clans too stubborn to switch factions)

I think ultimately you can see the reality of infighting in almost every segment of humanity... so perhaps this isn't really a neocron problem so much as a people problem.

Either way though, the populace of NC is too small for there to be as much value in using faction over help for the most part. Gank callouts obviously being excluded from that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    it is entirely personality (eg: people/clans too stubborn to switch factions)
    I think here lies the answer. Thats how its been for a long time iirc.
    Some people are more then toxic it seems. A bit like they take the game and its attitude too serious and made it to their own.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    I think here lies the answer. Thats how its been for a long time iirc.
    Some people are more then toxic it seems. A bit like they take the game and its attitude too serious and made it to their own.
    i think a lot of the nice people left a long time ago. whats left is the die hards who cannot let go and are too embittered towards everyone else to see the communities impact on the game. Or whats left of the community rather. I don't feel the need to elaborate more than that.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

The REAL Walker

The faction channel just isnt safe to use. If I want to speak to someone, in my faction who isnt in my clan (allied clan or something like that), I DM instead.
    You never know who's listening on a "public" channel like the faction channel.
    IMO its just another obsolete channel.

I remember about a year ago, where a couple of allied (and same faction) clans were trying to communicate through the faction channel.. Our enemies had a character of our faction logged in, so our 'plans' were intercepted. I doubt this is something that happens often anymore, but back then it was pretty normal, so everyone just stopped using it.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

I have read all of the answers and most of them are common problems in every MMORPG with PvP. I know I have experienced most of these in a half dozen other MMOs, from WWIIOL, Face of Mankind, Mortal Online, Ultima Online, and a couple others. The easiest way to deal with security issues that you run into on faction or side chat is just take it to local and go somewhere where local chat doesn't spill over into the surrounding areas, like an apartment. The other option is VOIP communications but even those aren't secure to a determined spy.

I personally am a fan of just removing most faction or side chats from a game entirely. Or getting rid of every chat that isn't help or help related. If you want to talk to someone do it locally.

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Once over people actually had some loyalty to their faction. Some of the best times I've had IG were organised by faction chat (TT alliance vs United Angels on Uranus). Current faction and soullight systems don't work in this regard as you can pretty much be any faction you want and kill any other faction, including your own with only minor consequences. Once over these consquences may have also had political ramifications but the population isn't large or diverse enough for this to matter at the moment.

well now that FSM's are mandatory due to 2.0 2.2 Geniuses ideas about removing droped items and adding them to fsm's = people having toon factions all over the place.

Can we just get nc1 back please

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Although I can see the reasoning behind FSMs (some factions in NC1 being pretty much empty) I agree some things should go back to drop (but that's a whole new thread).

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet View Post
    (but that's a whole new thread).
    Just use this one. the forum is quieter than graveyard lately.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?