I am going to heavily borrow from Cold Shadow for a moment here as I had the same thought when reading through the thread but saw he posted it first.

If you changed this "freeze" damage to some form of "elemental" damage type (e.g naturally occurring - like fire) and then removed PSI resist and replace it with elemental resistance then this would work.

Freezer guns/shockers would then be viable to hurt low psi using people and those with high psi attributes could afford to spec the points. Obviously these weapons would be balanced in line with TL etc with the advent of Sparta.

Tanks using the shocker would now have a weapon to beat other tanks with (they have no psi and therefore no resistance to it).

PE would have the option to spec some psi resist at a cost of his other defences (psi based) and the Spy would theoretically have high(ish) resist due to having 20 levels to spend if he didnt want to use psi buffs.

Everyone would have access to the weapons (cannons rifles and pistols) and you could add elemental damage to some APU spells and possibly EVEN give the ppu a very low level Elemental damage spell vs mobs although this last part is a reach.

This would throw a new angle into armour/resists conundrum especially with the forthcoming balancing changes to armour that got hinted about a while back.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"

The only Lore angle I think falls on it's face when we talk about new Physical Damage types which are NOT Con or Strength based; Tanks are meant to be hardened soldiers of war, crafted for the sole purpose of taking lots of hits. A physical damage type should be his bread and butter, not cut through him like a hot knife.

If you're going to introduce a PSI based resistance, then you'll have to make HIGH STR Cold resistance Armour or, at the very least bone implants to give the Tank a chance to have a base form of resistance.

A PPU shield is going to be needed for this too. Perhaps we would need the PSI Shield to be renamed and re-branded to cover two resistances: PSI Resist and Cold Resist, with a name, for example Holy Fortification.

Quote Originally Posted by RogerRamjet View Post
    Remove the entire para line as it is, including from the rare tech pool.

It's not missed, and any future additional damage types shouldn't be associated with it.
    I second that.

The reason for it is that there are already enough weapons in the game and more weapons make the balancing more difficult.

My impression is that the majority of people do not want the para effect back so the weapons are only cluttering up the weapons pool.

After some great debate with the different voices inside my own head I wholeheartedly concur.

I'd rather see parashock weapons as pve utility tool (stun works only on non boss mobs) with minor energy damage than removing entirely from game. Loosing that awesome models?

I agree, freeze should be replace in the game, and could be effective.

Of course nobody want the return of paraglue, but there is simple solutions to nerf the effect. In most MMO there is something
    called in frensh "rendement décroissant", I'm not sure the the transaltion is good but it may be something like decreasing performance or diminishing returns (google tradution) it mean that someone that have been parashock make the next parashock less effective, the next lesser effective again...

You can imagine that a 5 second parashock followed by 15 or 20 seconds of himunity to para could be a good nerf. Chain para wouldn't be possible and player have to choose the right time to use it and not chain para everything in sight.

More over Para could be a good way to bring value to classes like mele and maybe a special weapon for PE.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Khorwin View Post
    I agree, freeze should be replace in the game, and could be effective.

Of course nobody want the return of paraglue, but there is simple solutions to nerf the effect. In most MMO there is something
    called in frensh "rendement décroissant", I'm not sure the the transaltion is good but it may be something like decreasing performance or diminishing returns (google tradution) it mean that someone that have been parashock make the next parashock less effective, the next lesser effective again...

You can imagine that a 5 second parashock followed by 15 or 20 seconds of himunity to para could be a good nerf. Chain para wouldn't be possible and player have to choose the right time to use it and not chain para everything in sight.

More over Para could be a good way to bring value to classes like mele and maybe a special weapon for PE.
    No. Removing Para was the only good thing that 2.2 did..
    Lets not get that crap back.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Holy Para in neocron 1 was a gamebreaker but some freeze weapons/spells are neccessary to balance high movement speed setups with low athl/agl setups. The strength of the freeze effect should depend on the skilled athl/agl. So with a resist setup for example u have to switch to your freeze weapon/spell more often.
    High amount of skilled points in athletics/agility : shorter duration - higher impact
    Low amount of skilled points in athletics/agility : longer duration - less impact

To make it more interesting , remove the drugflashs from damageblocker-stealthbreaker-antidote-antishock. No one use dat shit.

By the way , adjusting the "destroyed foots" is also needed , its gamebreaking and maybe there will be some people who duel in canyon again.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Teal`c View Post
    Holy Para in neocron 1 was a gamebreaker but some freeze weapons/spells are neccessary to balance high movement speed setups with low athl/agl setups. The strength of the freeze effect should depend on the skilled athl/agl. So with a resist setup for example u have to switch to your freeze weapon/spell more often.
    High amount of skilled points in athletics/agility : shorter duration - higher impact
    Low amount of skilled points in athletics/agility : longer duration - less impact

To make it more interesting , remove the drugflashs from damageblocker-stealthbreaker-antidote-antishock. No one use dat shit.

By the way , adjusting the "destroyed foots" is also needed , its gamebreaking and maybe there will be some people who duel in canyon again.
    They put in a speed cap (yeah, softcap, but its pretty damn hard for a softcap).
    The balance between a slow and a "fast" setup is resists.

Still a huge no from me. And nothing you say will ever change that..
    Something like that does not belong in NC.

If you want "CC" go play one of the million mainstream MMO's out there.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by Dropout View Post
    They put in a speed cap (yeah, softcap, but its pretty damn hard for a softcap).
    The balance between a slow and a "fast" setup is resists.

Still a huge no from me. And nothing you say will ever change that..
    Something like that does not belong in NC.

If you want "CC" go play one of the million mainstream MMO's out there.
    please no para, i've stopped paying so many other games from being sick of getting rooted to the spot not being able to fight (the whole reason i'm playing the game in the first place)

even slow down effects in nc would just mean that player dies first, getting shot in the feet from a bloody ion pistol is bad enough!
    > Caster : relax we are not here fir pvp
    >You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with Tangent Technologies. > You lost a little soullight.
    > we are
    > You lost a little sympathy with The Crahn Sect. > You lost a little sympathy with CityAdmin. > You lost a little soullight.
    > think yaself lucky boy

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by ancient View Post
    please no para, i've stopped paying so many other games from being sick of getting rooted to the spot not being able to fight
    I can /sign that he have stopped playing games because of that kinda Things
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by Teal`c View Post

I'm with Dropout on the rest, but these are valid points. Those items just aren't used and though I think reward for being able to target a body part should possibly be rewarded, the current effect is crippling; 20% speed loss tops.

I think hit boxes should be hit boxes regardless of where you hit. None of this leg shooting bs. Just shoot and hit and damage. simple.

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    I think hit boxes should be hit boxes regardless of where you hit. None of this leg shooting bs. Just shoot and hit and damage. simple.
    I do not agree with this...

Take out feet, then headshots till the target is dead...
    It is what makes a good NC player IMO (well, that and teamwork ofc).
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

former king of saturn

With any shooter, location-based damage is a must.

That said, I would be in full support of removing the localization of armor.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast