snare stun shock. same kinda crap. dont bring it back. william has a point. pocket blizzard etc was a gank tool. not a viable weapon. anyone who "remembers" different doesnt really remember at all.
    ______________________________________________________________________________________
    Quote Originally Posted by aKe`cj View Post
    Something is wrong.
    Where are the people asking for free candy or Double-XP ?

The below is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the team.

I've have always thought it could be interesting to introduce a "cold" damage type to be used by freezers. It wouldn't make any sense at all for the melee shocker weapons (tasers are all about subduing an enemy after all), but would bring the "freezer" weapons back into the mix. General musing, thought worth throwing into this debate as something completely different.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»I'm in a glass case of emotion!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

We are the CityMercs

Quote Originally Posted by Trivaldi View Post

I've have always thought it could be interesting to introduce a "cold" damage type to be used by freezers. It wouldn't make any sense at all for the melee shocker weapons (tasers are all about subduing an enemy after all), but would bring the "freezer" weapons back into the mix. General musing, thought worth throwing into this debate as something completely different.
    Why not, a very good alternative.
    One damage type more makes it even harder to balance out resists, which is good in my opinion. Would instantly transport worthless garbage into the realm of actual usable weaponry.

I've have always thought it could be interesting to introduce a "cold" damage type
    Which would require anti-cold armor, resist cold skill, cold resist boosters and anti-cold shields. Even if not now, players would demand them eventually.
    All this just for one line of 3x 4 weapons which no one uses atm and no one even misses them.
    IMHO if freezers can't be brought back into life without much effort, they should be simply removed altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent L View Post
    Which would require anti-cold armor, resist cold skill, cold resist boosters and anti-cold shields. Even if not now, players would demand them eventually.
    All this just for one line of 3x 4 weapons which no one uses atm and no one even misses them.
    IMHO if freezers can't be brought back into life without much effort, they should be simply removed altogether.

There is the antishock fluid drugs to counter the parashock effect. How about re-using this drug to counter the cold effect?

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    pocket blizzard etc was a gank tool. not a viable weapon.
    NC was fun back when it was all about gank.

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Do you remember the campaign to remove para on these forums?
    I think I still am not read clearly: I'm not fond of the paraglue and freezing so hard you can feel your guts solidify (which was introduced because PPUs whined, not because ppl wanted more freeze). I am talking about subtle effect that can be felt somehow but hardly measured. Something that brings kind of tactics to a duel. Something that today is substituted by hiding behind boxes to break aim.

Quote Originally Posted by William Antrim View Post
    Having a pure energy effect makes them not be freezer guns any more and so could confuse people.
    Yeah, rename them to "irradiator" or smth in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bifrost View Post
    There is the antishock fluid drugs to counter the parashock effect. How about re-using this drug to counter the cold effect?
    Maybe we have misunderstanding here - as I get it it's "cold" being on (almost) equal rights to force, pierce, energy, fire, x-ray and poison.

As I understand Trivaldi, "cold" would be a new damage type (we have 7 right now: frc, prc, enr, fir, xra, por and psi). Freeze would be a freeze effect.

I would clearly divide between "freezer" weapons and melee electroshocker. They have really nothing in common except having had the same freeze effect in the past.

The only thing making freezer weapons (like Summer leech) special is their fancy design and the very nice shot effect. In my eyes they should just be in line damage wise with all the other weapons. They could do a damage combination of energy and xray.
    It would be a choice you could have by using a very nice looking weapon with a cool sound.

A completely other thing would be the electro shockers of the melee tank. He needs to be special and good in some things at least. He has no real bonus in being a melee tank. Some time ago it was speed. Since the new runspeed softcap this isn't really a bonus anymore.
    Being honest the Thunderbolt wasn't that big gamebreaker years ago when he had a real freeze effect.
    But it shouldn't be slowing you to the ground. Maybe we could add some real value of electroshockers to PvE too?

It would also require all monsters to be reassessed/rebalanced with a cold resistance of some factor, otherwise it will outdamage all other weapons in PVE.

I think we need to see those older drugs come back into use, with anti-para spells too.
    Those drugs should not give the drug flash effect that they currently do, I think the burden of having to carry the additional item is payment enough.
    In the past people had to carry Damageblockers, Stealthbreakers and Anti-Paras, I think it's important that combatants are prepared when venturing out into the wastelands or into darker corners of the City.

If people are so worried about Freeze effects becoming a new unavoidable gank, why don't we factor it into current skills and make use of certain resistances? Perhaps PSI Resist could lessen the impact of a freeze effect.
    Last edited by Cursed Shadow; 24-10-13 at 14:58.

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    and psi
    As I understand it, atm psi is not a damage type, but resist psi is a modifier applied to regular dmg types (eg fire, enr, poison) dealt using APU module.
    Or maybe psi attack still deals pure psi dmg, there is just no real psi-resist.
    Yeah, it's pretty messed up already.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent L View Post
    Which would require anti-cold armor, resist cold skill, cold resist boosters and anti-cold shields.

Of course, all of which is possible and all those areas would be visited by the Balance Team at some point I imagine. This is just blue sky thinking, it's not necessarily something that would have to be done right-this-second. Just a musing to see what people would think of a new damage type, implemented across the board.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team

»I'm in a glass case of emotion!«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

Of course, all of which is possible and all those areas would be visited by the Balance Team at some point I imagine. This is just blue sky thinking, it's not necessarily something that would have to be done right-this-second. Just a musing to see what people would think of a new damage type, implemented across the board.
    I should clarify that I really like the idea of introducing new damage types, I just wonder whether our views will change once the current resistances and items are balanced, I'd also be a bit concerned about damage types perhaps being spread a bit thin between STR and CON at present.

Cold sounds like a really nice damage type though, I imagine it would be more of a Raygun/Fusion/Freezer weapon concept, which would be quite interesting.

If we're on the topic of new damage types, what if we had a damage type that inhibited the mentality of the character. This would make a nice addition for weapon types, as it affects the mind instead of the body. This would also lend itself more towards being an INT based resistance. I haven't fully thought this through, as to how the damage would present itself, but it's another blue sky thought.

English Lead Moderator, Community Consultant Nidhogg's Avatar

NERF PARA! Ahem, sorry. Just had a flashback to 2004.
    Nidhogg
    Forum Administration
    Neocron Support Team

»Thanks for stopping by«

new damage types would be gorgeous (Yay, Triv!) while i'd be fine with changing the freeze thingy into a DoT one. Quick fix.

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Remove the entire para line as it is, including from the rare tech pool.

It's not missed, and any future additional damage types shouldn't be associated with it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast