Default Using Steam's Greenlight initiative to increase awareness of NeoCron?

I did see an earlier post on this, but sadly it appeared there was only one response made to this, and it was quite a bit older so rather than necro an old post I figured I'd just make a new one.

Pretty much as the topic implies, I'm wondering what people would think about the idea of using Greenlight to get people's attentions and hopefully get some more of a population going?

I figure one could just provide a few screenshots, some gameplay (videos exist out there which would still be relevant to today's gameplay mechanics) videos, etc. Along with a description of the game, it's concepts, and information about how it is currently under a community based management.

Furthermore I imagine, so that one can come to get more out of it and have a greater chance of getting it to work on today's machines with less issues, we could also provide links to some of the tools (NC Settings, Bloom enhancer etc) which along with various pieces of information to convey that it is a community project that is being revived.

Anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Drones are your friend!

If the Devs deem the project fit for it, why not.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

They won't. They have a list of already registered e-mails and probably have the possbility to do some advertising for the game but they are waiting, mainly because they want to bring a fresh and balanced Neocron, so this is still a good idea that could be done after the patching.
    Keavy Oona and a bunch of clannies accounts I log on because WHY NOT on Titan, Muge/Nerije/Neal/Keavy Oona on Terra

There need to be some patches first.

Balancing - Bugfixes (beam weapons, apu spells and so on). And maybe some overall graphical improvements.

Agreed on the patches, as for graphical improvements I don't think it's possible to make a big enough improvement that would change newcomer's first impressions at all without an engine upgrade. That's not really an option for the volunteer team with the lack of any funds and enough manpower to do it.

You and I might notice and even like some improvements to the graphics but it won't make any difference in the eyes of someone who's never played before, the age will still show.

Age isn't a terrible thing... if the content has been there, or even if it hasn't people still seem to be quite forgiving about it in other games, (including the MMO which shall not be named) where the things still continue to work out. Furthermore, I don't know if it's anything to go by. But some decent things can still be done with an older engine. Look what was done with Deus Ex with just a volunteer staff. (the Deus Ex Highdef mod) Obviously like you said it wouldn't bring it to today's level's but it would still give the game a noticeable face lift.
    Drones are your friend!

My point is that people who care about graphics won't try the game with or without an improvement because it's still gonna look really old. People who don't care so much and think the game seems interesting will try it either way.

I think there's very few or no people who would be swayed by some higher resolution textures or new effects. That's what I mean when I say it won't make a difference. So it's a ton of work for no gain. If we've got artists who otherwise wouldn't be doing anything then it can't hurt to let them make some new stuff, that's fine. I just don't think a big project re-doing all the assets would achieve anything except make us current players ooh and aah for a couple minutes.

former king of saturn

This is a great idea, but getting something through Greenlight is no easy task.
    Really, the newbie experience needs a gigantor facelift and rework before a big influx of players. That is my major concern in bringing new players to the game-- the initial experience is so unsatisfying that it just doesn't hook players like an intro should.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide View Post
    This is a great idea, but getting something through Greenlight is no easy task.
    Really, the newbie experience needs a gigantor facelift and rework before a big influx of players. That is my major concern in bringing new players to the game-- the initial experience is so unsatisfying that it just doesn't hook players like an intro should.
    Newbie experience and balance are only two things on a long list we need to greatly improve.
    Trivaldi
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

ğI'm in a glass case of emotion!Ğ

DOWNLOAD NEOCRON • PLAY NEOCRON • FACEBOOK • TWITTER • IRC • GET SUPPORT • FORUM RULES • RULES OF CONDUCT

former king of saturn

Quote Originally Posted by Trivaldi View Post
    Newbie experience and balance are only two things on a long list we need to greatly improve.

There are definitely a number of things out there that could use some sprucing up or a complete facelift, however none are as critical for growth as newbie experience. No one will enjoy the benefits of balance if they don't get out of the sewers.

I sent an email in hoping to volunteer-- I really would like to do so in whatever capacity that I can.

The problem is though, also taking new players from a great intro experience with who knows what to shooting rats in a sewer can also be a bit of a let down. Well unless you have a freaking awesome sewer
    Drones are your friend!

Quote Originally Posted by LeFae View Post
    The problem is though, also taking new players from a great intro experience with who knows what to shooting rats in a sewer can also be a bit of a let down. Well unless you have a freaking awesome sewer
    From the dish washer to the millionaire is the motto!
    Nobody starts from zero to hero in NC within hours. Todays games just throw all the awesomeness at the players within the first couple of hours to grab easy money from hasty actions. NC can distribute its awesomeness over a much longer time in smaller dosage, guaranteeing much more satisfaction for achievement. Most gamers today just fail to appreciate this...

What NC is doing here is reeducation of modern days spoiled gamers!
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

Neocron needs to be marketed as a digital antique.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"