Quote Originally Posted by Kame View Post
    Basically, you used to be able to be what you without much slap on the wrist from GMs, especially with regards to player expression. People had, for instance, retardedly offensive names, and clan images were conceptualized with the most putrageous antics ever.

Mind you back then, I was 15yrs old or something.

Mind you back then, I was a paying customer.

I am now 30yrs old and it really annoys me how GMs are now cracking down on language and shit, as if were supposed to be role models to others or something.
    Times have changed. The interwebs are no wild, untamed land anymore. As such is gaming. Back then nobody gave a fuck about what happened in a little corner of the web in a MMO. Today ppl go apeshit about everything, cuz they can.

In other words:

If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

The internet is now an integral part of our world.

There has even been suggestions in the UK that internet access should be a human right.

It is part of modern life now. It therefore has to 'grow up'. It needs to be subject to the same rules and expectations. Threats, abuse and anything that would be illegal/unacceptable in the 'real' world is now becoming the same in the online world; because the two are now the same thing.

There is no longer a difference between defamation in a printed newspaper and a blog. The responsibility for those comments made in either are now equal.

That a given comment should or should not be deemed offensive or otherwise unwelcome is not an 'intrusion' by the wider world on the online world, but a question to be posed to the wider world itself.

The entitlement to unaccountable criticism as a result of the early internet's anonymity has gone. There are consequences. You can say what you want, but the expectation that you will or even must be immune to responsibility cannot continue if the internet is to be what it is rapidly becoming or already is - just another means of communication within society.
    Last edited by Dribble Joy; 10-09-13 at 00:30.

One problem with that DJ, the real world doesn't have an ignore function.

You will find that it does. It's called ignoring someone.

Edit:
    And as I assume you are wise enough to know, people can get around ignore functions if they want to. Just like in real life. At which point it becomes harassment, which is the point that you let the relevant authorities know about the situation.
    Last edited by Dribble Joy; 10-09-13 at 00:40.

I suppose it's true you can get around it but I've never heard of people going to those lengths just to harass someone, has that actually happened? Really though you can try to ignore people in real life but you still have to hear what they're saying and if things get physical you can't make your body ignore their attacks.

I personally don't have a big problem with censorship in NC, I don't think we need it but it's not gonna stop me playing or effect me much. I agree with people who want things to be uncensored but I stop short of saying it stops me playing because I've never played NC just for the chance to insult people.

Order of the Black Flame yavimaya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Times have changed. The interwebs are no wild, untamed land anymore. As such is gaming. Back then nobody gave a fuck about what happened in a little corner of the web in a MMO. Today ppl go apeshit about everything, cuz they can.

In other words:

You are correct, the internet has become to large and has been spolied by this new generation of users who think that facebook and youtube are the pinnacle of internet usage.

If you werent on the internet before 2000, you should not be allowed ever. Keep the internet for those who know how to use it properly!

Roger Ramjet Fanboy Number 1 RogerRamjet's Avatar

Bring back bigfloppydonkeydick.

I understand defaming someone over an internet blog is as legually accountable as defaming someone in a newspaper article.

Having a clanname like "STD" isnt defamatory nor causing predjudices to anyone yet it was removed from game, in the most dictatorial manner possible.

Theres one thing that kills NC for me and its the stupid ass community. Dev and players alike.

I understand defaming someone over an internet blog is as legually accountable as defaming someone in a newspaper article.

Having a clanname like "STD" isnt defamatory nor causing predjudices to anyone yet it was removed from game, in the most dictatorial manner possible.

Theres one thing that kills NC for me and its the stupid ass community. Dev and players alike.
    Maybe the clanname "STD" or "Science, Technolgy and Destruction" isn't defamatory, but perhaps you should have seen some of the clan ranks they had. I would had called them pretty vulgar and obscene at times. I'm sure others here could apply suitable words from here to the clan ranks they have seen.
    Last edited by Brammers; 10-09-13 at 17:46.

Speaking of banning clan ranks for no reason, whats the deal with the rank "don't fuck with McDuck"? Why was it banned?

Quote Originally Posted by Faid View Post
    Speaking of banning clan ranks for no reason, whats the deal with the rank "don't fuck with McDuck"? Why was it banned?
    Because bullshit.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

I personally have no problem with an 'obscene' clan/rank/player name, I might think it rather immature, but I would probably leave it there.

I think the problem when running a community is risk. You have to keep as many people happy and enjoying themselves, and that is invariably pulled in two or more directions. You have to make a form of risk assessment about where you draw the line/make a compromise. Where that line in the sand is is always going to piss people off on both sides.

I haven't seen anyone complain, saying they're offended by someone's name or clan rank but I have seen quite a few complain about clan ranks getting removed or names getting changed. It seems these decisions have only upset some people and made no one happy. Like I said in my previous post though, it's not a big deal that this happens and I wouldn't have even talked about it if people hadn't already brought it up here, it's just a little disappointing.

There must be a rule and a line.

Try these clan and rank names in every other online game and see what happens. Either you're lucky and nobody notices 'cause nobody cares for you or you will get your ass banned faster than you can say "I am so hardcore"!

This whole discussion feels immature.

And it does not belong in this thread either. I hope this thread gets closed soon. It is like a festering wound in this forum, with flies eating its rotten flesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Eres View Post
    There must be a rule and a line.

Try these clan and rank names in every other online game and see what happens. Either you're lucky and nobody notices 'cause nobody cares for you or you will get your ass banned faster than you can say "I am so hardcore"!

This whole discussion feels immature.

And it does not belong in this thread either. I hope this thread gets closed soon. It is like a festering wound in this forum, with flies eating its rotten flesh.
    Word.