Quote Originally Posted by Sechs View Post
    O
    Actually, people did step up - and were threatened with legal consequences almost immediately.
    Stop being so goddamn ignorant.
    I was going to post something along these lines, there are plenty of people willing to to put forth time and effort or "step up" as it was put but they were flat out refused. GM Lykos was one of them, I know another programmer who has tried on numerous times to offer his services voluntarily but was either outright ignored or flat out denied. It seems like there is a small bubble of people that exist for the development of NC and they want to keep it that way.

I have absolutely no problem with the current voluntary staff, I think they are doing pretty good considering what they have to deal with but I think they should consider letting some more people in the club.

Sex yo fayses <3

Oh, and you just happen to know the 'skill level' of every other person in here? This one goes right back at you.

Actually, people did step up - and were threatened with legal consequences almost immediately.
    Stop being so goddamn ignorant.

+1 for eNTI.
    A directed dig, I'll admit. But the point still stands. No, I don't know others' skill level and I've never said I have any dev skill myself. But why is he complaining about it, when to our knowledge, he has no knowledge? Oh? He does know something about programming and the like? Well, then put it to good use and stop bitching about others' work.

And the people that did step up? While having good intentions, went about it the -wrong- way. Thats all I'll say about that.

If people have such a problem with the game, the devs, and their 'priorities'. Leave.

1 CS clip > Fish

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post
    A directed dig, I'll admit. But the point still stands. No, I don't know others' skill level and I've never said I have any dev skill myself. But why is he complaining about it, when to our knowledge, he has no knowledge? Oh? He does know something about programming and the like? Well, then put it to good use and stop bitching about others' work.

And the people that did step up? While having good intentions, went about it the -wrong- way. Thats all I'll say about that.

If people have such a problem with the game, the devs, and their 'priorities'. Leave.
    While i agree with your passion in defending the game and those who are developing it voluntarily i wouldn't be so fast as to tell people to leave. The game is on life support, people leaving is not what you want because remember why develop a game when there is no players.

I assume there is a forum for constructive dialogue between the team and folk that want to help?
    HC > ALL

Quote Originally Posted by DarkPhoenix View Post

Well, what's the 'correct way'? Enlighten me. Last time I checked, there was none.
    There's no public bug tracker, exploit discussion is strictly forbidden. Report an exploit? Copy/pasted reply.
    Have a technical question about the server? Can't help you with that. Someone I know recommended to change parts of the EULA.
    Not the rules, just the wording. Less room for interpretation. Obviously, it wasn't changed. It's that much more fun to have people fight over these rules on a daily basis.

You know, the only time I got involved (read: involved myself) was when I replaced all the new evo-bs weapons/sounds/textures with their NC1 counterparts. The account was banned later on, but who cares? It was possible - about four hours of work, including figuring out how to read/parse the .def files, as well as how the GFX System works, but possible nonetheless. It was actually more fun than playing the damn game.

TL:DR;
    People would put their skills to good use, if there was a way to do so.
    Instead, we get a prime example of what happens, when you go all-ego about something.

@ Darkener

Well, people are already leaving. I doubt that DarkPhoenix is responsible for that. :P
    And no, there is no forum. There's a brainport, stuffed with ideas that are yet to be implemented.
    Everything else happens via Email. Or... well, it's supposed to happen.

Well, population will go up by +1 soon... Thought about NC for the first time in about 5 years last week, came here and dusted off the old account. Still the same old chat then - moaning about server population, bugs and stuff. I remember talk of another MMORPG (that shall not be named) and how it was better. Well, done loads of other games and none compare.

Time sharpen the combat knife and stab some rats in the sewer...
    ...Another day you go back and go through the same thing, and another day & another day. How long do you keep going back to the place with no t-bones when you can just walk across the street to "Jim's house of big assed steaks" ?

Report an exploit? Copy/pasted reply.
    And you expect a personally signed letter of gratitude from the entire dev team, Kirk and Prince Charles everytime you do what is simply your duty?
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    Quote Originally Posted by Danae
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places
    <&Danae> i have kids, i don't need pets ^^

The best thing for Neocron would be to release the server code to the community. Let us be serious for a second. The only reason they haven't done this yet is because there is still somewhat glimmer of hope that money can still be via subscriptions or some other donation item methods. There wouldn't be a huge influx of new players to Neocron generating revenue. It would just be a tax on the current very small population enjoys the game now. The staff has run off so many old players with zero chance of returning to anything of a current state. If you want real results let the community put up its own server and work on the code themselves.

You might combat me with "there would be no point, the population is already small what would a bunch of tiny private servers do for it". People would go to the best run server where the bugs are fixed, cheaters are taken care of swiftly and problems are taken care of quickly. I know this ain't everyones first rodeo when it comes to playing online games and even maybe for some of you have played older games run on private servers. (ie Ultima Online, SWG, ect ect). You can either do what's best for the community or you could do what's best for yourself.

Releasing the server code would create competition. You want people on your server? Better step your game up. I believe for the past couple years the saying "Good enough for government work" has been the mentality of not only the staff but the community as well.
    Last edited by MayhemMichael; 10-08-13 at 14:20. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemMichael View Post
    The best thing for Neocron would be to release the server code to the community. yadda yadda...
    The result would be: 3 crappy maintained and soon abandoned projects and a few more servers just for horrible modding attempts lulz and hax.

I don't trust anybody here in the com to pull off anything seriously with the source code. Period. There is just no proof that anybody here could work properly on the project and in a serious manner.
    If you want to fix the game, start with the most essential part: The Community...
    <&Danae> i don't like anything that's furry, totally dependant on me, and shits and pisses in sneaky places

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    The result would be: 3 crappy maintained and soon abandoned projects and a few more servers just for horrible modding attempts lulz and hax.

I don't trust anybody here in the com to pull off anything seriously with the source code. Period. There is just no proof that anybody here could work properly on the project and in a serious manner.
    Except for the fact that someone already did. I don't understand why you are so hostile against it. What do you have to lose? nothing. What do you have to gain? Everything.

Quote Originally Posted by MayhemMichael View Post
    Except for the fact that someone already did.
    Which is EXACTLY why i have no faith in any plans regarding making NC open source. Too much anarchy and problems with authority among the peeps here.

Quote Originally Posted by Drachenpaladin View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why i have no faith in any plans regarding making NC open source. Too much anarchy and problems with authority among the peeps here.
    What are you on about man? We are talking about making Neocron as great as humanly possible and you accuse people that are wanting to help or see some change anarchists and criminals. Take a look at yourself. You are the problem. We aren't talking about leaking nuclear launch codes or the secret to cold fusion energy here.

This thread will probably get locked real soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hatmankh View Post
    This thread will probably get locked real soon.
    And that's the sad part.

Well... I posted this thread a couple of months back now, and it's great to see its prompted such discussion, I know for one I've not logged in for a while now!

The class I know and love has broken since my return in November last year, I very much doubt it'll fixed by this November!

I wished I'd of chance to play on the 3rd party server to see what improvements had been made!

I don't want a bunch of private servers dividing the community right now but I'm relieved to know some people have the capability to make one. Because when the inevitable happens, kirk/the volunteers finally get tired of throwing their money down a black hole and pull the plug. A new neocrack dealer or two will emerge.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast