Default Name Jesus is offensive?

Recently I was emailed by GM Blackivory telling me I need to change my spies name Jesus because it is offensive and someone has complained about it...the funny thing is when I named my character Jesus I was not even thinking about the religious figure. Jesus is a common name where im from, and many parents name their children Jesus. The rule said no anti-religion and that my name Jesus is anti-religious. What do you think nc community....do u think the name Jesus is offensive and anti-religious?

This is word for word what they told me via email...

[ edited - it's very poor form to quote a private message in public without the consent of the person sending you the message. I'm therefore removing it, not because we have anything to hide (enough people have seen it already and I stand behind BlackIvory's words 100%), but because you shouldn't discuss moderation in public. Please contact me if you wish to discuss this further. Thanks. ]
    Last edited by Nidhogg; 12-06-13 at 16:48.

the community is just lame with these kind of things. Seriously who really cares...

i find it offensive that they find that offensive.

Funny how these religious types hijack a very common name in Spanish parts of the world and claim it offends them. Sour pusses like that shouldn't even be taken seriously.
    Poke me baby, one more time!

I think this censorship is getting ridiculous.

Half the names in this game could be considered offensive to some person or another. Take the player named "Fagget" thats obviously a homosexual slur, yet he is still running around in game (sorry to point you out, but it's a perfect example). There's an npc named "Black Betty" in pepper park, thats obviously a racial slur, yet the npc is still there.

It seems like this is only selective censorship as well. It's more likely you pissed someone off in game and they know people in high places, so now you're being punished. I could get it if the name was say "fuck Jesus" or something like that, that would be offensive, but simply having the name by its self isn't in any way offensive.

The same thing happened with clan ranks, which we still havent gotten an answer to yet and sadly I dont expect to. Even though the matter was apparently being discussed internally and they had not forgotten about it...
    Then Trivaldi said this
    This thread is closed until we provide an update. Clarification will be delivered within the next three to four days.
    That was 2 months ago...

This is just getting stupid. If this really is the way things are being run now then I suggest you go through the city com and write down and report every potentially offensive name you find and post them here on the forums where we can see if the people running the game adhere to their own rules or if it's just you that they have singled out.

I don't think the GM's realize what theyre doing when they tell a player to change their name after so long a time in game. They aren't only deleting the char name but essentially the entire char himself, all the relationships that char has developed, all the history, everything. It's just sad and completely unnecessary.
    Last edited by Faid; 12-06-13 at 17:13.

As officially Catholic I am offended by this action taken against name "Jesus".
    While some may consider Catholic Church as a hate-group, the name "Jesus" has broader meaning than just that.
    Because the server is advertised as "EU" I believe Spanish rationale apply as much as any other EU country's.

And as far as I know, "Allah" means "God" therefore in no country it's "just a name".
    Maybe you wanted to say "Muhammad"...

@N:
    Issues like this are prime example why moderation MUST be discussed in public.
    Because who watches the watchers?
    Last edited by Agent L; 12-06-13 at 17:02. Reason: typo + missing info

i don't even know how the name itself can be offensive. i mean it's not as if you called yourself "fuck jesus" or something. just jesus and someone thinks you are not godly enough to run around with a name from some naked unicorn on a fucking cross.

English Lead Moderator, Community Consultant Nidhogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Faid View Post
    That was 2 months ago...
    I'll chase this up...
    Nidhogg
    Forum Administration
    Neocron Support Team
    N E O C R O N - G A M E . C O M

»Thanks for stopping by«

DOWNLOAD NEOCRONPLAY NEOCRONFACEBOOKTWITTERIRCGET SUPPORTFORUM RULESRULES OF CONDUCT

Just choose another name, dude. There are thousands of names that have no religious meaning.

Why do you think do the people you mention name their children Jesus?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Eres View Post
    Just choose another name, dude. There are thousands of names that have no religious meaning.

Why do you think do the people you mention name their children Jesus?
    I'm Russian and your name Ivan reminds me of Ivan IV Vasilyevich who killed hundreds of thousands of my ancestors, can you please change it!
    Poke me baby, one more time!

Name Jesus in not offending at all.. normal name in latin countries anyway.
    ill go on strike and not play nc if this name change is forced..

As a Christian myself i have no problems with it, as it doesn't contain other derogatory words. I can't really see the problem.

if you are that easily offended you shouldn't be on the internet. actually, you should go and live in the forest.

While we're on the subject of pointless censorship I'm going to have to request that Nidhogg change his name also due to it's religious nature stemming from norse mythology

Seriously though, why is nidhogg ok but not jesus?

für einen freien Geist Deus Ex Machina's Avatar

I think I first found the name offensive when it ran by. Then I thought about all the people in the world (more or less normal people, because mostly we know about the not so normal ones) that are named Jesus. So I am okay with it.
    There was someone called Jesus Christ running around, that one I found unfitting.
    But with just Jesus its another matter for me.
    On the other hand there sure are a few that have the first association with the most known Jesus and they find that unfitting or whatever. (I don't like the word "offensive" I do not always find the name offensive or whatever, but for example that a person runs around wearing that name).
    I don't think such a case is easy for the Volunteer Team to decide either, I think its worth thinking about that too.

P.S.: Since you asked if we think if the name is anti-religious: If someone associates you to Jesus Christ, then it would depend on your behaviour -are you completly Non-Violent and heal your enemies when they are shot by your side? ;-)
    [Sorry, couldn't resist]
    I may not agree
    with what you have to say,
    but I'll defend to the death
    your right to say it!
    - Voltaire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast