Yes that's right. I tried the proposed fix of nabbl from www.computerbase.de and disabled the "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology of my Intel I7-2600 and disabled C1E, C3 and C6 messages for the operating system too.
    My processor ran on 2,4 GHz in powersafe-mode before because NC doesn't use the full power of one single core. Now my CPU is running in turbo-boost mode and is runnung now on 3,9 GHz with a temperature around 65 - 75 °C.
    The time that Plaza 1 in front of the medicar need to load all players was about more than 0,5 seconds. Now it's less that 0,2 to 0,1 seconds. The fps freeze is very short now.
    An other example is Pepper Park 1 Club Veronique. While i ran to the door i get fps freezes for about 1 second and now less than 0,2 seconds.

I have a Nvidia GeForce 260 GTX and I thought that I need a better graphic card to get better performance. But the CPU settings helped a lot and other games like Battlefield 3 work better now

A nice and easy tool to see your cpu speed, ram speed and usage and anything else is CPU-Z. It's freeware and works on the most Intel cpu's: http://www.cpu-z.de/

Thanks for your help nabbl

while i understand that this might be good for performance it's a terrible terrible idea to let the cpu run at it's BOOST speed. that's a surefire kill. not to mention the excess heat and noise from my fans. i get it, this game is old. it's cpu hungry. still there must be a way to optimize the code or the meshes before having to oc my cpu to make it run at 60 fps in every situation. the sprite issues i posted are one thing that could be and should be optimized. maybe make an option to turn them off? i wouldn't miss them.
    Last edited by eNTi; 22-05-13 at 12:42.

I always run at 62 FPS and I have no problems playing ever, there must be easier solutions for you guys.

My specs;

Quad core i7 2,4ghz
    3 x 2GB 1600mhz (triple channel) memory
    ATI Radeaon 5830 1GB DDR3
    Resolution 1920x1080

Also my notebook runs fine;

Quad core i7 2,8ghz
    2 x 2GB 1600mhz (dual channel) memory
    Nvidia Optimus 400 (or something similar, I forgot the name)
    Windowed mode
    Fog and grass reduced

Quote Originally Posted by eNTi View Post
    it's a terrible terrible idea to let the cpu run at it's BOOST speed. that's a surefire kill.
    Why "kill"? TurboBoost is Intel's idea.
    not to mention the excess heat and noise from my fans.
    Yes, that's the only problem.
    still there must be a way to optimize the code
    Of course there is, every code can be optimized. But someone has to do it, so don't demand the work to be done unless you're willing to pay the salaries.
    it's cpu hungry.
    No, it's not. It does great even on slow CPUs - as long as they don't grind into full stop when power is most needed.

Modern CPUs employ extremely aggressive power saving mechanisms. That's where power savings come from: the moment CPU thinks it has little to do, it slows down and/or stops. The problem is, it's not as smart as it should be, and CPU often stops when is most needed. And apparently, the way NC is written either misleads power saving mechanisms or makes the results of a slowdown especially noticeable to users (but Massaker's remark about Battlefield suggest it's a problem not limited to NC).
    This is why disabling "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" fixes the problem, at great cost of heat and noise.

There are many SpeedStep settings between "max saving" and "full power" so probably there is something that can prevent problems yet still yield some power savings. So, make comprehensive tests, find the optimal setting and share the knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoltan View Post
    • Try to force the Client to use a single core of your cpu. You can do this in the taskmanager

This has worked for me perfectly. Running NC and changing the affinity of the process to run on just one core has fixed the problem for me.
    Just a bit of a pain having to do this every time I launch the game.

Final Boss of the Internet Kanedax's Avatar

I'm going to try forcing it to use a single core when I got home. Been having the same issues. Setup is as follows:

CPU: AMD FX-8120 8-core running at 3.2 Ghz
    RAM: 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1066
    GFX: Sapphire Radeon HD 7850 2 GB edition

Quote Originally Posted by JoshCooper View Post
    Just a bit of a pain having to do this every time I launch the game.
    Solution:

- Open the folder where Neocron is installed
    - Make a new file named startneocron.bat (the extension must be .bat as in "batch file")
    - Open it in notepad and type:

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 client.exe

- Save it and close notepad
    - Now, create a shortcut of startneocron.bat and place the shortcut on your desktop

Problem is however that you are maybe not allowed to directly start the client.exe.

The REAL Walker

Im starting NC through a Powershell script.
    That way I can start NC up through the launcher (I duallog a lot, so need to be able to change port easy).
    Then when the client starts, it changes affinity.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Quote Originally Posted by nabbl View Post
    Solution:

- Open the folder where Neocron is installed
    - Make a new file named startneocron.bat (the extension must be .bat as in "batch file")
    - Open it in notepad and type:

cmd.exe /c start /affinity 1 client.exe

- Save it and close notepad
    - Now, create a shortcut of startneocron.bat and place the shortcut on your desktop

Problem is however that you are maybe not allowed to directly start the client.exe.
    Maybe this can be implented into the launcher as option, shouldn't be that much of a problem to extend the launcher with a checkbox and the start parameters.

Jupiter Titan
    OZ-T, OutZone Traderz
    -=[L-o-Z]=-, Light of Zion
    Satan2k2
    Reckless <3
    'Wallace' Family

OZ-T, OutZone Traderz
    Eli Wallace - Rodney Wallace

The REAL Walker

Quote Originally Posted by Satan2k2 View Post
    Maybe this can be implented into the launcher as option, shouldn't be that much of a problem to extend the launcher with a checkbox and the start parameters.
    Shouldnt take too long to implement, no.
    However, Im sure that the Devs has more than enough to do - this is probably one of the Things that shouldnt have too high priority, especially considering that it is something that we can do something about ourself.
    Walker
    John Gotti
    Sammy the Bull
    Danish Rage
    Innocent Bystander
    Walking Waste
    Sweet Judgement
    Sweet Vengeance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12