Default Make LE dependent on Area/Faction

If you're CA your LE doesn't work in the areas around TG cannyon, if you're CM your LE works around the Military Base etc.
    This should be based on faction relations as well. LE should not work in areas like MC5. (Why? Bacause runneres compete over those areas, and if they cant kill each other they will just exploit the shit out of the game to piss each other off)

Bonus: Make OP owners choose LE settings for their OPs.

(this was just a quick idea not a finished concept)

I'll voice some approval of exploration of this idea!
    The core issue is "What is the goal of the LE chip, and how can we make that the reality?"

Quote Originally Posted by Dope View Post
    I'll voice some approval of exploration of this idea!
    The core issue is "What is the goal of the LE chip, and how can we make that the reality?"
    Please read the whole thing before calling me a carebear. I actually would rather have only about 5% of the population of the server with LEs in.

Honestly, I think the LE chip does it's job as is, the problem is the rest of the game doesn't balance well.

Like you have said here, what is the goal of the LE chip.
    Well the goal of the LE chip is to allow newer and lower level players to level the opportunity to level safely without fear of being instantly crushed by a bored high level player. This it accomplishes, but then why take it out?
    The only reasons to take out the LE are a 4th slot, and the ability to join a clan. These reasons alone are not enough to encourage the removal of the LE. So Problem 1: non-LE doesn't offer enough benefits.

The next issue is, once you remove the LE, you are completely unprotected. Many zone will let enemies and neutrals attack you freely, and some will allow allied killing. There is no rank based protection. So Problem 2: without the LE it is too easy for players to kill you for fun, regardless of rank/faction.

Then the third issue is punishment. At the moment, loss of soul light isn't a big issue, and you can recover from -100 SL to 0 within a day. This means that there is very little discouragement to killing allies. So Problem 3: Soullight loss does not deter gankers.

So thats my thoughts on the problems. As to the solution, I think the following changes would help:
    1. LE users have a reduced levelling speed and cannot enter end game dungeons. They would also get a reduced drop rate for techs.
    2. Killing players 10+ ranks below yourself should give automatic SL loss for neutrals and allies in any zone except outposts, and should not gain soullight or symp for enemies. Killing allies and neutrals in any levelling specific zone should give a larger SL drop. This should compound with the additional loss for ranks (so killing an allied layer 10+ ranks below you in a levelling area should not be healthy for your soullight).
    3. Soullight is harder to gain back. Missions should give drastically less soullight, killing low SL players should have diminishing returns, so you can't farm SL by killing one player. After the 5th kill of the same player it should give nearly no soullight. Overall if you get to -100 soullight it should take a minimum of around 30 hours solid play to regain.

I know this sounds like a hit to PvP, but it should not just be the case that you can fight anyone anywhere and have very little consequence. The current faction system is almost completely redundant as most people ignore it and fight anyone, but it should be a core element to engaging in PvP.

Just my thoughts on it. Feel free to pick them apart

I wouldn't call you a carebear, even if ya were one .

These suggestions don't suck. I think we're on the right track.

Still, I won't pitch into another heated LE discussion until I've got a Dev's word on what the dev intent of the LE is, and whether it's hitting that atm or not. (I think that it isn't, but that's my opinion and without knowing the dev intent, I'm shooting in the dark, just like all of us.)

We can't adequately shoot for a solution until we know what the goal is, until we do we're going to go round and round with "Carebear vs Griefer" arguments that go nowhere. We know that most of us are neither, so what we need is an official "This is the gameplay that the LE is supposed to create incentives for." statement, then we can work toward achieving that goal, rather than arguing amongst ourselves about what the actual point of the damn thing is.

Once we have a clear idea of what it is for, and what it is intended to do, then we can work on defining a rule set that makes that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dope View Post
    We can't adequately shoot for a solution until we know what the goal is, until we do we're going to go round and round with "Carebear vs Griefer" arguments that go nowhere. We know that most of us are neither, so what we need is an official "This is the gameplay that the LE is supposed to create incentives for." statement, then we can work toward achieving that goal, rather than arguing amongst ourselves about what the actual point of the damn thing is.

Once we have a clear idea of what it is for, and what it is intended to do, then we can work on defining a rule set that makes that happen.
    Of course most of the players are not simple carebears, and only few are griefers, but it doesn't matter how many griefers are online, because 5% of them are enough to destroy the gameplay of a lot more players. This was easy to observe in the past.

And one word to unwanted polarization: if some starts a thread with the shitty comparison "LE-players = game exploiters" then this thread leads to nowwhere and shouldn't be allowed, because it's starting with provoke.

I do not want to hijack thris thread though: i am against giving players (OP-owners) the right to cjhange LE characterics. This would allow them to render it worthless, eventually over nearly the whole map.

I cannot see urgent need tom change the LE mechanics. Shoot down these players who hav fun with it and let the rest play their game.

Reed

I have no idea what Dr Reed just said but anyway.

I do not think that the game engine has the ability to cope with this kind of request even if it wanted to.
    "dulce et decorum est pro patria mori"